Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Zim

Quote Originally Posted by zim65 View Post
    Mine came today. I'm more than pleased with the quality. I'm 290 pounds been hanging in it all afternoon. Just a guess but I think this might be made in the same factory in China as the Byer. I could take pictures in the morning if that would help.
    I agree with stoik, but you already have guinea-pigged it for us, and yes, if you can, it'd be nice to have photos, and closeups. I believe you, if you've been lying in it and tried it it must be the same company. Wonder why is says Dubose Industries? As Stroik mentions, it seems like the ad on the link is sort of a Frankenstein of several other websites decriptions. Does it really come in other colors and have a 14.5 foot length range, though? Can u throw a tape on it and see?

By taking the time and effort to post photos, it not only helps those of us on this thread now (heck, I'd even consider another one at that price from hammock.com, just as long as my Visa number doesn't end up on the wall of a Nicaraguan whorehouse or something), but future hammockers will search and find this thread, or we can link it for them as there's always--and I mean always--a thread on here about hammocking without trees, and indoors, and all that jazz.

No milk from nose here (yet)--let's see pics and thanks for posting about it, zim65. I gotta say, I honestly cannot fathom how any company can ship a 60lb (ad says 69lbs for yours) box for free and charge only $99 for what's inside it. Too good to believe, almost.

P.S. Zim, your last name's not Dubose, is it? That's not your rogue website listing this stand, tempting us with $99 and bronze colors? (Just kidding, zim65, but you do only have two posts--the two on this thread...hmmm).
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-16-2010 at 23:40.

Hammock
    NX-250 & WBBB 1.7 dl
    I'll take pictures tomorrow, won't have them up till around dinner time. What would people like close up's of? I'll measure also. Box was 75 pounds off the fedex van.

Hammock
    HH ULEXP
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    NEST,NO SNIVELLER
    Suspension
    STRAPS AND RINGS
    I have been using the hammocks.com stand every night for over a year, except for when not at home.
    Fred

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    yup...that's the same place I got mine and for the $99 incl shipping. But mine did say Vario....this must be the generic version.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    We'll see the measurements; the listing is a different length by about 2.5 feet on the website (Vario 12.25 feet, Dubuse 15 feet!)--don't know why that would be. Zim will tell us when he throws a tape on it.

Hammock
    NX-250 & WBBB 1.7 dl

Generic Byer Hammock Stand

With the stand at it's maximum extensions my tape says it is just shy of 14 feet by a few inches, sorry one to help hold the tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Zim, thanks for the great pics The Dubose one looks exactly like the Byer one. We'll see what CK1 says. For $50 less it seems to be the one to have.

Update: I see one difference between the two. The gusset plate in the tubing bend has a continuous weld on the Byer but does not on the Dubose. Don't know if that's a factor or not.
    Last edited by SmokeBait; 08-17-2010 at 21:23. Reason: Added update

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Smile Thanks Zim.

Zim: those are great photographs, and I thank you for posting very much.
    This is my opinion from studying your photos: the one from Hammock.com is not the same one that I got from Byer of Maine. Several things stand out.

The Byer Vario has hard plastic (see my photos) hanging hooks—yours are metal. Someone could argue that metal is better than plastic, but the type of metal is forged and this may break.

The angle bracket (as mentioned by smoke) is spot welded on the Dubose—it is seam welded on the Vario. Big difference in quality of weld, and if noticed there, then likely same all over the product. For instance, in that same photograph, looking at one of the absolute key welds on the whole stand at teh meeting of the cross members: perpendicular feet to bottom bracket--a crucial weld--it is spot welded on the Dubose, and I just checked, nicely seam welded on the Byer. Big difference. Even the rubber "topper" that goes on the 3/4 inch bolts (assume they are 3/4 inch and require said wrench on the Dubose also) is not the same--it just looks different on the two hammocks.

The Dubose has metal “gaskets”, if you will, where the bottom bracket hand screw enter the green metal pipe—the Vario does not. Why are these there? I think, and this is only from studying the photos, that the steel on the Dubose is not as thick gauge as the Byer Vario. Hence, the reinforcements. I think Dubose is 69 lbs (not including the 6 lbs for packaging), and is longer with thinner metal, whereas the Byer is 60 lbs and shorter with thicker metal. For instance, if you study the metal it is smooth on the Dubose, and sort of rippled or dimpled (see my close-up bottom bracket photo—sorry my pics were so poor) on the Byer. I think it’s a different type of steel altogether, and that to me is significant.

Even the paint is different—the Byer has glossy and thick paint, the Dubose as matte green paint. (Watch out for lead for both of us, Chinese paint).

So, bottom line, they are two different hammock stands, clearly. That is, to me, a fact. Even the length is different.

That said, I am pointing out differences, and feel that the Byer might be a better construction, but I certainly do not know that, and I would be the first to say that the Dubose—one could argue—is a better value at $50 less either way. The Dubose, I believe, is an imitation of the original Byer of Maine Vario, manufactured by a completely different Chinese factory. I think, personally, that I will be getting a second stand (I have a sunroom and need a stand out there that I can take in and outdoors, leaving this one stand in the office—if I move it, my wife will change her mind and make me keep it out) and I will pay for the Byer Vario. I’m ordering it from Amazon.com tonight.

I am looking forward to hearing the input from stoik and BillyBob and stormcrow and justjeff and other Vario owners about the photos…the hammock.com model might be “good enough”. I have no idea if Dubose can be reached by phone (someone above posted about calling Byer and got a replacement part for$5 easily), and if the Dubose has a serial number and written two-year warranty like the Byer. Small but nice factors.

The hammock.com stand might be a better value, if it stands up to the test of time. Typically where it'd show it's weakness, if there is one, is that either a tube (e.g bottom bracket) would bend or stress fatigue over time, or one of the spot welds would break. Should that occur, some would argue reasonably that they'd just throw it away and buy another one. Reasonable thinking, as they could buy three DuBose stands for the price of two Byer stands. It's purely a matter of preference.

I’m sure any stand will allow hanging and is great. I again thank you for the photos, Zim, and certainly can say—if that’s your garage doors, you have a swell garage! Love the stone. Nothing Byer or Dubose about that.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 08-17-2010 at 23:12.

Hammock
    NX-250 & WBBB 1.7 dl
    Not that it matters but I still believe the Debose is made in the same facory. Download the Vario Assembly instructions from here:
    http://www.byerofmaine.com/products/...cok-stand.html
    Zoom in on the picture of the stand ,it has 3 spot welds.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Thanks Cool. Looks nice and well built. Was looking at these and still hadn't made up my mine if I am going to buy one or biuld one out of 2x4's.
    Having built one from 2x4's, I'd recommend going to 4x4's unless you need it to be portable... The 2x4 uprights haven't failed on me, but they bend a lot from side to side when my 220lbs of bulk loads my hammock.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast