Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Hi Alex: I don't know the difference. The only real questions is whether the Amazonas is a knock off of the real Byer of ME model (explained above in thread). The photos are stock and taken too far away, so one would not know until it arrived at their home. For $50 more, and the guarantee of the proper product (including the two-year full warranty, the human being that answers the telephone in Maine, etc.), I'd always pop for the real thing for a product like this that I would be using for a decade or more.

But to answer your good question, without seeing it, no one can be sure (and the shipping weight is onerous and you will not be able to pay and have either the counterfeit or the real one shipped back/returned, so there's no way you can "test drive" one, unfortunately, to find out).

I use my two Byer of Maine Vario original stands daily still. Sweet. Good of you to look into this brand, AlexM.

Thanks for the prompt response. It is deceptive as the Amazonas page at Yard Envy have Manufacturer as Byer. Maybe Byer is not the same as Byer of Maine. Also the description is identical. Amazon and official site have the knobs facing up just like the Amazonas. Also reading through one of your picture posts, your Vario Stand the knobs on the side which contradicts what is at the official site. So it's really confusing which is real and which is not. I do agree, I would rather pay a little more for quality over inferior imitation.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

AlexM

I called Byer of Maine directly (forgot the number, but can Google them) and they are wicked helpful, and have a list of those sites that they distribute to. You could call about th Envy site and I'm sure they'd tell you. For instance, I got one of mine form Amazon and one from FogDog and they told me both are legitimate sites authorized to sell their products.

When you get one, please post your thoughts on it on this link, AlexM. Would be interested to see if you are happy with it as many of us seem to be.

Thank you and happy hanging.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMorning View Post
    Amazon and official site have the knobs facing up just like the Amazonas. Also reading through one of your picture posts, your Vario Stand the knobs on the side which contradicts what is at the official site.
    There has been some talk about the knobs facing up being no fun to land on. I have not fallen (well once from the Traveler on entry...bad positioning not suspension failure) but sure would not want to land on those knobs if they were facing up on my Vario. To me the extra filthy lucre for a side mount knob Vario is well worth it for the peace of mind alone YMMV.

Hey all! I just ordered my Vario stand today from Amazon for $139.95 and $3.99 for overnight shipping! I accepted the free trial of Amazon Prime. It would probably cost than my total for shipping alone!

I'm debating what setup would be ideal for the stand. It will reside on my rear patio full time. Right now I use a HH Explorer UL but I think I'm going to pick up an ENO Single on the way home from work.

My HH uses whoopies and tree straps and I'm probably going to convert the ENO to whoopies as well. Should I add a ridgeline to the ENO? I was also thinking about using the ENO's stock suspension with tree straps. Any suggestions for an ideal setup?

EDIT: I forgot to add, the ENO will be used exclusively with the Vario stand!
    Last edited by CapDubOh; 05-17-2011 at 12:03.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    CDO: The ENO single works great with that stand. I use that setup often. You need not use whoopies as there's no real reason to adjust once you get it set. A length of rope or nylon, knotted ideally, will suffice. I use a ridgeline attached to the bars of the Vario.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    CDO: The ENO single works great with that stand. I use that setup often. You need not use whoopies as there's no real reason to adjust once you get it set. A length of rope or nylon, knotted ideally, will suffice. I use a ridgeline attached to the bars of the Vario.
    Thanks!

Any suggestions for knots to use? I'm going to stick with the stock suspension minus the clunky biners.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    CDO-- for the ENO, I ditched the stock biners and just put the eyelets (the loops) of the SlapStrap right over the "finger" (aka nub) of the Vario. No knots. Try it out.

I've used many hammocks on the Varios and love all. Blackbird by Warbonnet, Warbonnet Traveler is on there now, etc.

I also have Amazon Prime and LOVE IT!

Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    CDO-- for the ENO, I ditched the stock biners and just put the eyelets (the loops) of the SlapStrap right over the "finger" (aka nub) of the Vario. No knots. Try it out.

I've used many hammocks on the Varios and love all. Blackbird by Warbonnet, Warbonnet Traveler is on there now, etc.

I also have Amazon Prime and LOVE IT!
    It should be arriving today so I will get it together and post some pics today or tomorow! I can hardly contain myself!

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast