WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings

Smile Clark Ultralight Test Hang

I just replaced the stock suspension on my Clark Ultralight and it is fantastic! I've got 15' polypro straps (rainbow colored, no doubt) which I just cinched to the trees by running 1 loop through the other. These go to SMC descending ring buckles which have a 16" long Amsteel Blue loops which are prussic'ed to the rings and larksheaded to the hammock channel. I ran more Amsteel Blue between the rings to act as a ridgeline and hold up the netting. I got it hung in about 3 minutes, made a couple of adjustments and was hanging happily in no time. I was worried about a banana hang, but the Clark is shaped such that I get what I call "a recliner lay": my torso's slightly upright but my hips and legs are pretty flat. I wasn't able to get a comfortable side position- I was getting bent at my ribcage. I can play with the ridgeline length and see what that does. Still, I'm sure I can get a good night's sleep in it on my back. I'm very pleased with the out-of-the-box quality. I like the mosquito proof hammock bed and the pockets are handy as well. I'll be testing it in the real world next weekend at Black Balsam Knob, off the Blueridge Parkway in North Carolina, picking blueberries with my mom and 2 nephews. There will 3 of us hanging and 1 hugging the ground- he's a big boy and doesn't trust the hammocks. His loss!
    The pics are of my first hang yesterday using slap straps in a heavy downpour- not recommended! I ended up bouncing off the ground and had to abandon ship- the lightning strike that was too close for comfort also played into my sprint to the house
    I'd appreciate any tips from my Clark brothers and sisters as I'm a Clark newbie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoor_Nut View Post
    I just replaced the stock suspension on my Clark Ultralight and it is fantastic!

(rainbow colored, no doubt)

I get what I call "a recliner lay": my torso's slightly upright but my hips and legs are pretty flat.
    You may slide down some like that . . . but Clark has thought of almost everything . . .
    There should be a loop at the head end, that you grab to pull your self up with.

I'm very pleased with the out-of-the-box quality.
    It is almost shocking . . . isn't it.

I like the mosquito proof hammock bed and the pockets are handy as well.
    Impenetrable.
    I also like the pockets, It is good to tuck your footwear away,
    off the ground under cover.

I'd appreciate any tips from my Clark brothers and sisters as I'm a Clark newbie.
    Tip One
    Enjoy

Tip Two:
    What do I know I'm kinda new 2.

PS. and welcome to Clark-World.
    Last edited by Bradley; 08-15-2010 at 08:56. Reason: ADD PS
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Congrats on the new Clark UL. The Clark UL was my first hammock that I got back around 2000. Sold it after getting a couple different brands, missed it and bought another one after a couple months.

Some tips from the pics and reading your post

It looks like you need more sag. Try different lengths on the ridgeline to find the best length. Also even if you are using a ridgeline to set sag, push the tree straps up the tree as far as you can reach.

I would suggest running the amsteel loop thru the end channel instead of using a larkshead to attach. The clark is designed to slide in the end channel to self adjust as you move in the hammock. By design when the cord is run thru the channel the hammock corners are pulled higher than the center forming the shape of the hammock and the height of the sides. When you use a larkshead to attach you change these dynamics and affect the lay of the hammock

Also I would test the hang without the pads then add the pads to see how they effect the lay. The Clark UL is a smaller hammock and pads will change the feel more than some of the larger asym hammocks

Hope one of the tips helps shorten the learning curve. Just find what works for you and hang as much as possible.

Good Hangin'

Mark

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings
    Thanks for the tips. I will remove the larkshead at the channels and see what that does. I need to give a shout out to Raw for his post and pics of adding a structural ridgeline to his NX-200. I noticed that his loop wasn't cinched on the channel, but couldn't figure out he ended up with two larksheads on the rings. I didn't use the pad for ridgeline adjustments last night and will leave it out of the mix until I think I've got a better hang. I'm really sold on the webbing/rings setup- so much easier. I may try whoopie slings later on, but the straps should work fine for a weekend warrior such as myself. I'll get some more pics up when I get it better tuned in.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I noticed that his loop wasn't cinched on the channel, but couldn't figure out he ended up with two larksheads on the rings.
    Putting 2 larksheads on the same rings is not a problem. Just dress out the second one to the outside of the first one. To do it like RAW with them side by side he probably did not tie the loop together until after forming the 2 larksheads.

I'm really sold on the webbing/rings setup- so much easier. I may try whoopie slings later on, but the straps should work fine for a weekend warrior such as myself.
    If you factor out weight, the webbing/rings are hard to beat for keeping everything together and simple setup

• + New Posts