Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images

Talking

Great videos Hawk. Thanks for taking the time to educate.
    Looks like I'm getting into hanging at the perfect time. Straps, slings, clips, biners, ... great gear!
    Is there an ETA for the new biners?
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Very nicely done video. Dutch biners are on my shopping list.
    Thank you and I think you'll love them ...

Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Wow yet another great video. Two thumps up on the intro! Thanks for all the good information. I especially like the tip on removing the line from the biner. That is pretty darn slick. You can bet I will be adding that one to my repertoire.
    Well thank you ... yeah that technique works pretty slick and it's quick and easy, doesn't take a learning curve!

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Great video again! Thanks! Awesome tip about the quick release as well.
    Thanks! Another thing I love about the Dutch biner ... as a connection point it's never going to soak up water and freeze in the winter ...

Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Great video.

A quibble: I can use nacrabiners with gloves or mittens very easily - have done so and will do so in the future. Haven't used the Dutch Biner, but I have used regular biners and mini biners with gloves or mittens and the nacrabiner is no harder with gloves or mittens. With really big and bulky mittens (especially leather ones with wool inside or an inside layer of gloves), the Dutch Biner, a nacrabiner, a mini biner or a regular biner is going to be hard to use.

I will admit that using the scarab lock is easier than the splice lock with gloves or mittens.
    Glad you liked the video ... and I get it ... you love the nacrabiner! And that's great! It's fun to play with ... just a little too fiddly (made that word up myself ) for my liking. Still enjoyed playing around with them ... till this device came along.

The Dutch Biner gives the rest of us a really really strong, light weight option that as I hope is shown in this video ... provides at least one simple way to rig a whoopee sling with a solid connector. I'm sure many other options and uses will emerge as the HF community play with these more.

So I think we can agree to disagree on this ... But thanks for watching!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    Putting my newbocity on the table with a big red bow...isn't there a concern that having a thin rope like amsteel as part of the suspension around the tree could potentially damage the tree? Or is having the majority be webbing enough to remove any danger?
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Great videos on the Dutch Biner. It is a very interesting piece of gear. I love the effort to put into your videos They are both entertaining and informative.
    Thanks for sharing the info.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    great video Hawk-eye and I learned a new trick! That "quick release" way of getting your Amsteel loop off the biner is a keeper.

The early "foolishness" reminds of Geraldo Rivera's "Mystery of Al Capone's Vault". Maybe it's just because Dutch is sorta a Pennsylvania Dutch version of the mob, I dunno.

Yeah I like that way of removing the cord out of the 'biner. I "accidentally" found that way of removing the cord from my nano 'biner back in the spring while on the Jerry Loop hang. Being such a newb at this stuff, I didn't think too much about it other than I wanted to remember that way of doing it. I figured that most everyone else was probably already doing it that way!

As said elsewhere Michael, great video and thanks!

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dvisic View Post
    Putting my newbocity on the table with a big red bow...isn't there a concern that having a thin rope like amsteel as part of the suspension around the tree could potentially damage the tree? Or is having the majority be webbing enough to remove any danger?
    The webbing would take care of the wear points on the tree for the extremely large tree ... so I don't see that as a concern. If the majority of the trees in your area were larger you could always opt for longer webbing. In my case the majority will fall under what 40" will cover ... it's that exception the extension would get you around.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEFIN 774 View Post
    Great videos on the Dutch Biner. It is a very interesting piece of gear. I love the effort to put into your videos They are both entertaining and informative.
    Thanks for sharing the info.
    Glad you enjoyed ... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    Yeah I like that way of removing the cord out of the 'biner. I "accidentally" found that way of removing the cord from my nano 'biner back in the spring while on the Jerry Loop hang. Being such a newb at this stuff, I didn't think too much about it other than I wanted to remember that way of doing it. I figured that most everyone else was probably already doing it that way!

As said elsewhere Michael, great video and thanks!
    Thanks Glen ... yeah kinda how I started using that. Like the old saying says "even a blind chicken finds a worm now and then"!!!

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hey Hawk-eye quick question. Any particular reason you use a long length of amsteel from the hammock to the dutch biner?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Hey Hawk-eye quick question. Any particular reason you use a long length of amsteel from the hammock to the dutch biner?
    The short loop of amsteel? That's simply to connect the DB and the rest of the suspension to each other. The DB being at that point creates a water break as well. Water soaking your suspension and running down the line will tend to stop flowing at the biner and not continue to your hammock. That's always a good thing!

Also I kind of like having a clean simple connection to my hammock. I've always loved the straps and clinch buckle set up for ease of connection and adjustment. But don't like the weight or bulk ... even with Paul's great lightweight webbing he sells. The standard whoopee and marlin spike set up is fun but being a bit awkward when trying to set up quickly I've had one whoopee slip off my toggle while I've been setting the other ... it's not hard to over come, but I just love the rig I show in Part II ... the fun, compactness and weight savings of the whoopee with a more positive attachment point.

But to your point on the amsteel loop ... just a clean attachment point so I can separate the whoopee from the hammock, creating a water break and clean set-up.

Sorry that's a bit winded ... did I answer that enough for ya? If not ask away ... happy to confuse you more

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks Hawk.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Any idea as to when they will become available?
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast