WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Thumbs up First official Danish HF hang

The Danes aren’t overrepresented here on HF (only a total of 3-4 active members at the moment), and hammocking hasn’t hit main stream Denmark yet - we hope change that though!

Since we live relatively close to each other, Bomber and I decided to get together for the first Danish Hammock Forums hang. Bomber is a bit of a kayak geek (owner of 3 kayaks), so it was obvious that we would combine kayaking and hanging. I had previously only tried paddling canoes, so kayaking was totally new and exciting to me.

After packing and “launching” the kayaks, we headed for a location that according to Bomber was great for a hang.
    To our surprise the location was already spoken for, by some guys owning the world biggest tarp!, so we had to paddle on and find a new spot. We finally found a suitable location, after having fought killer waves over a hundred mile distance (all right, the waves weren’t that big and the distance was more like three miles)

Shortly after we got the hammocks in place, it started raining quite heavily. We decided to postpone gathering firewood and kick back in the hammocks while waiting for the rain to stop… in spite of waiting, then waiting some more and then waiting even more, the rain never stopped at all. We realized that the weather forecast was somewhat imprecise and that we were stuck in the hammocks for the night.

Both Bomber and I are hopeless gear heads, so we quickly turned our attention to the hammocks, backpacks, knives and what-nots. Hammock-wise I’m a complete noob, so I was excited to see the much talked about whoopie slings and to learn a few tricks.

At one point the loud sound of the rain hitting the tarps made it nearly impossible having any kind of conversation, and at the same time the wind kept blowing the rain sideways under the tarps directly into my hammock – our first hang and there we were, smack in the middle of the most intense rain we had ever camped in.

Late in the evening the rain eventually settled and became somewhat tolerable. After a few beers, long philosophical discussions and sharing of life stories we called it a night. We both agreed that the insane amount of rain didn’t ruin the trip, but made it even more memorable and gave us a valuable lesson hanging in extreme weather conditions… True optimists? Oh yes we are!

We woke up late next morning, well-rested and hungry for some trail mix and oatmeal. We again had long discussions on the ultimate gear setup and future buys – really great to know a like-minded gear freak!

A few hours later we packed our gear and headed for the kayaks.

After the 3 mile paddle back across the lake in nice sunny weather, we had a well-deserved iced water before we ended the first Danish hang. We will definitely plan the next hang soon, and hope to meet the other Danes aboard HF too.

Note: Upon returning home, we learned that the entire area was hit by unexpected monsoon-like conditions with 100mm rain (4 inches), flooding both roads and residential areas. I truely wonder how meteorologists convince anyone to pay them . The authorities actually issued a warning advising people to stay off the roads, but they didn’t mention anything about hammocking though

Happy hanging to all.

/TheWild & Bomber
    Last edited by TheWild; 08-16-2010 at 02:42. Reason: + on the number of owned kayaks - he is a geek!
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It really is awesome to see trip reports like this coming from all over the world, even if the official roster only included two people! Sounds like a great trip, and hopefully this report will convince the others in your area to meet up for the next one. Thanks for posting!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Great report! It only takes two to make a group. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWild View Post
    Bomber is a bit of a kayak geek (owner of 2 kayaks)

Nah... i´m a big kayak geek(and it´s actually 3 ´yaks(you´ve forgot my inflateble))
    But despite the rain it was a great trip.

-Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Nah... i´m a big kayak geek(and it´s actually 3 ´yaks(you´ve forgot my inflateble))

-Bomber
    It seems the 2 of you were well prepared to handle any flooding that you would have encountered.

Great report.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've always thought it would be nice to kayak thru the cypress swamps in the southeast, and sleep at night by hanging a hammock between two trees over the water. Keep the kayak tied below me. Sounds like y'all almost had that opportunity...accidentally!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Congrats on the first Danish Hang. Too bad it rained so much but you made the best of it. If you make it through that you will make it through anything. Nice photos, Thanks for sharing. I would like to get the first official Newfoundland, Canada hang next summer. I think there is only one other hammock guy in Newfounland according to the info I have.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hip Hip Hooray for the First Danish Hang!!

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I've always thought it would be nice to kayak thru the cypress swamps in the southeast, and sleep at night by hanging a hammock between two trees over the water. Keep the kayak tied below me. Sounds like y'all almost had that opportunity...accidentally!
    I´ve had the same idea, but how do you get the tree huggers up in the trees from the kayak???(my kayak is narrow seakayak, where standing up is not an option)

-Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for all the replies.... we had a great time hanging and highly recommend others to get organized - no matter how few hangers there are in your area, it's a place to start

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post

-Bomber
    Hereby edited in the first post..... geek is he who owns 3 kayaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    Cool idea.... I might just try to convince Bomber of another Kayak/Hang and try it out (Maybe we should try to arrange something with BlazeAway who is also a kayaker ). The pics would fit right in the thread with people hanging their hammock in extreme places (inspirational thread btw).

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEFIN 774
    I would like to get the first official Newfoundland, Canada hang next summer. I think there is only one other hammock guy in Newfounland according to the info I have.
    Hope you get your hang - it's a cool way to meet new like-minded people... just checked on the HF Google map and there's only you and Dingus Khan. But an advanced search in the Members List reveals that there's a couple of fellow Newfoundlanders that you might have overlooked:

DaNewf
    rocrunr - he/she hasn't been active in a while, but a PM might trigger a response.

Looking forward to a trip report from you guys!

btw.. are the Newfoundland dogs still common up there? I have one myself and read that they were bred for use in the Newfoundland fishing industry, pulling nets etc.. I know that things might have changed since then in regards to technology , but is the breed a common race as a pet?

/Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast