Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips

Goat Island Hang 8/12 - 8/15

As witnessed by Muskrat . . .
    pics by RiceGravy . . . http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/...0Group%20Hang/
    pics by Dameon . . .http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Island%20Hang/

The start of this hang was scheduled to begin on Friday August 13 and end on Sunday the 15th. I think the anticipation of dreaded humidity and heat got to the best of two of our participants as they decided to come a day earlier. Hanging Burrito and Running Feather on a whim decided they had nothing else better to do on Thursday so they packed up and headed south from Hendersonville, NC. I think they forgot about the drop in elevation they were getting ready to go through where the heat and humidity would intensify greatly but hey, they are troopers! Gorge Rats ! So they spend Thursday night sleeping in they lake (officially speaking as our permit began on Friday but I think a "stealth" hang was the probable outcome )

Friday, I arrived to the island with my in-laws toting my gear by boat and me on a jetski. Saw that Dameon was also on the island with his jon-boat at Campsite 1. Upon arriving by water to campsite 4 & 5, I was welcomed in by Running Feather and Hanging Burrito who were lounging in the water in an effort to stay cool and helped me out with unloading my gear. Typical camp setup was to follow. Slowly people started arriving to the island, RiceGravy, Fulminated, ChickenWing & Penny (dog & kayaking companion), LDCakes, Medicine Man, and Keith (newly named as "Hobie"). Setups were hung and evaluated but the most impressive setup had to be Hanging Burrito's who made his entire setup in less than a week . . . black hammock with dual zippers, 12x10 black tarp w/dual side pullouts, black down sewn through TQ, black down baffled UQ, and a very fancy ridgeline organizer. As not to forget, he accessorizes his setup with colored Christmas lights along the ridgeline.

Friday's events consisted of Dameon making his first attempt (I believe this is correct...) with making boiled peanuts and they were awesome. Nicely done Dameon. As the day went on, lounging in the lake with beverages seemed to occupy most of our free time. Had the water been about 10 degrees cooler it would have been perfect but we had to take what was given to us, which we did.

Saturday, we were joined by the arrivals of 4x4Dragon, Land, Dutins and Ruckus (dog and new friend of Penny's), and PG who visited with us for the day to look at our different setups and have dinner with us. A bit of kayaking in the lake and more lounging in the water accounted for most of the day as we awaited for the evening boil to commence. 5:00 pm, preparations for the boil began and LD Cakes started her preparations for the peach cobbler. 6:00 pm, the Low Country Boil, Frogmore Stew, Beaufort Stew (whichever is your preference...) hit the table. The smell of Old Bay filled our campsite as mounds of potatoes, corn, sausage, and SHRIMP piled on the table ! As Dameon put it, it took about 5 minutes for that pile to be reduced down to scraps. It was definitely good eating . Thanks to everyone for their contributions to dinner. In an effort to avoid the oncoming rains, Dameon shuttles PG back to the landing so he can make his way back to Augusta. Thanks for joining us PG and good luck with your hammock setup. BUT, that did not conclude our dining desires. After resting and moaning for about 30 minutes from the boil, LDCakes announces that the cobbler is ready . . . WOW! Spectacular and what a great way to finish off a great meal . Saturday evening closes with great conversations and laughter and rain.

Sunday morning comes and Hanging Burrito and Running Feather are the first to make their way home. HB had to be back in time for his daughter's birthday party or feel the wrath for the next 365 days... paddle quick HB ! Camp slowly is broken down, boats begin to leave the island and finally I'm the last to leave the island as Gram (mother-in-law) shows up to rescue me from the island. Timing had to be great for us as I load my last piece of gear into my jeep the heavens begin to sing with more rain.

Great trip guys and discussions for future hangs on Goat Island has taken place. October - November are possible months and the addition of an oyster roast to join with Low Country Boil seems like a marriage that can only be made in SC ! All are welcomed join us for the next occasion so keep tabs for Goat Island Hang . . . Part Deuce !
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Enjoyed the trip report and the pictures ... hmm ... Running Feather ... haven't seen that much white meat since I last took my shirt off!

Man what a spread you folks had ... looked wonderful!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB
    looks like ya'll had a good old fashion time

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Good food and good times shared with family / friends. Those are the makings of a fun outting. Looks like you all did it up right. Thanks for sharing.
    Terry

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Do you have to get there by boat? I guess I could do the canoe thing.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by eflat7 View Post
    Do you have to get there by boat? I guess I could do the canoe thing.
    Yeah, a boat is definitely needed. A canoe would work well. Seems like it was about a 30 minute paddle for most. However there was a waging offer that someone could make it across in 5 minutes, but the event never happened.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Yeah, a boat is definitely needed. A canoe would work well. Seems like it was about a 30 minute paddle for most. However there was a waging offer that someone could make it across in 5 minutes, but the event never happened.
    It can be done in under 5 minutes if you have a certian product that has at times been compared to Jack Bauer.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    It can be done in under 5 minutes if you have a certian product that has at times been compared to Jack Bauer.
    Steven Seagal?
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    It can be done in under 5 minutes if you have a certian product
    INSULTEX will get you across!

-Ricegravy!

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    ... hmm ... Running Feather ... haven't seen that much white meat since I last took my shirt off!
    Hey! I resemble that remark

Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    There was an unofficial race - HB vs. Muskrat.
    Muskrat took an early lead on his jet-ski over HB in his canoe, but never got more than 15' ahead of HB, who was paddling so hard the bow of the canoe was 5' out of the water. I saw it

Both finished in under 5 min.

Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    INSULTEX will get you across!

-Ricegravy!
    Greatest stuff since sliced bread
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast