Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    i just ordered 50' of yellow from redden marine yesterday. the discount code still works.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    You're right Rick, a SRL will take some of your weight depending on the angle of the suspension.
    If your suspension is around 30 degrees from parallel you can have very little tension on the SRL. The tighter you hang i.e. the closer to parallel the suspension gets, the more tension will be exerted on the SRL. The SRL helps you to get a consistent hang but ideally you do not want a lot of tension on it. I think Griz figured out how much tension was exerted on an SRL for a certain weight etc. and I think it was like 250 lbs. 550 is strong enough for this but again I don't think there should be a lot of tension on the SRL if at all possible. If you find yourself with a couple of trees that are really far apart and you cannot elevate your attachment points on the trees because you are short like me, then you may see a lot of tension on a SRL.
    Hey Grizz (or anyone), is there a link to that info you came up with?

Sorry for chiming in late. There are so many posts on HF these days that I long ago gave up trying to track everything. Every now and then I use a trick that Cannibal taught me, to search for posts that reference me.

So the posting I can find is here; as you will gather, it was a tongue-in-cheek response to a posting TeeDee did that just gave the answer. He just "sees" it; me being the comparative dullard had to work it out from first principles.

Thumbnail sketch...if your hammock is hanging from the ridgeline at 30 degrees, and the suspension line approaches the tree from the ridgeline at 20 degrees, then the total force on the ridgeline is half the body weight. Crank the tension up to make the angle on the suspension line to tree 15 degrees, and the force on the ridgeline is the body weight. Even tighter (if possible, e.g. using a trucker's hitch or something equally insane) to 10 degrees and it is twice the body weight. You get the picture...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    Polartec clothes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So......my trees are 20 feet apart, the straps attach as high as I can reach up (just over 6 feet), my SRL is 100" of 7/64th Amsteel, and I'm using my new WS attached to the hammock ends and Marlin Spikes 12" down the straps from the tree. Apparently, it isn't suggested that I reef the heck outta that system as tight as I can? If I don't, then my butt gets real close to the ground (not that I have a problem with my butt being that close to the ground cause it's then easy to create my little "swinging action" I like) but am I putting a lot of force on that SRL? I don't see how I can change that setup in my back yard. These are the only trees I have for the hammock here.

Couldn't ya just stick some kind of pound-reading scale in the middle of your SRL to see what it is pulling?

Great forum! Having fun, but have questions also.

Mike
    That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    So......my trees are 20 feet apart, the straps attach as high as I can reach up (just over 6 feet), my SRL is 100" of 7/64th Amsteel, and I'm using my new WS attached to the hammock ends and Marlin Spikes 12" down the straps from the tree. Apparently, it isn't suggested that I reef the heck outta that system as tight as I can? If I don't, then my butt gets real close to the ground (not that I have a problem with my butt being that close to the ground cause it's then easy to create my little "swinging action" I like) but am I putting a lot of force on that SRL? I don't see how I can change that setup in my back yard. These are the only trees I have for the hammock here.

Couldn't ya just stick some kind of pound-reading scale in the middle of your SRL to see what it is pulling?

Mike
    Hi Mike--
    I have one pair of good hanging trees in my yard, 23' apart. I guess I'm taller than you, I can get the straps up about 7'. I bring the MS hitch down the webbing a couple of feet, all in all not so different from your trees.

Amsteel 7/64" is pretty strong, and I suspect that even when you "reef the heck" out of the system that when you get into the hammock you pick up a fair bit of angle between the ridgeline and the tree....because every newton of force that causes the angle of the suspension to tree from the ridgeline to be smaller than the angle of hammock to ridgeline under load is a newton you've had to put into the system by "reefing". So unless you're the new X-man "Amsteel Man" with biceps of 1024 strands of Dyneema, you're unlikely to threaten that system.

but only because Amsteel is so strong....take note HH owners....your ridgelines aren't Amsteel....
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post

Mike
    i tried putting a scale in the works.it will work but you can not get a reading of a total tight system as when you get in the hammock your weight stretches out the scale,therby allowing sag into the process.you would have to get in then have someone read scale and measure angles of your suspension after the scale had stopped stretching.

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    Polartec clothes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Hi Mike--
    So unless you're the new X-man "Amsteel Man" with biceps of 1024 strands of Dyneema, you're unlikely to threaten that system.
    I love a challenge.....

Thanks for your humorously detailed reply. I appreciate you folks sharing your knowledge....and your time.

Happy Hangin'!

Mike

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    Polartec clothes
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    i tried putting a scale in the works.it will work but you can not get a reading of a total tight system as when you get in the hammock your weight stretches out the scale,therby allowing sag into the process.you would have to get in then have someone read scale and measure angles of your suspension after the scale had stopped stretching.

Oh, well. I was famous for a little while anyways.....

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Sorry for chiming in late. There are so many posts on HF these days that I long ago gave up trying to track everything. Every now and then I use a trick that Cannibal taught me, to search for posts that reference me.

So the posting I can find is here; as you will gather, it was a tongue-in-cheek response to a posting TeeDee did that just gave the answer. He just "sees" it; me being the comparative dullard had to work it out from first principles.

Thumbnail sketch...if your hammock is hanging from the ridgeline at 30 degrees, and the suspension line approaches the tree from the ridgeline at 20 degrees, then the total force on the ridgeline is half the body weight. Crank the tension up to make the angle on the suspension line to tree 15 degrees, and the force on the ridgeline is the body weight. Even tighter (if possible, e.g. using a trucker's hitch or something equally insane) to 10 degrees and it is twice the body weight. You get the picture...
    Grizz,
    Thanks for the "written" () explanation. Just the info I've been looking for.

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123