SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Cannibal,

Ripping those seams out is easier if you can get between the two layers. IN other words open the side up and then work along the stitching from the inside of the bag. Pulling the two halves gently apart before slipping the seam ripper in there. That will make it easier to get the thread and not your fingers or the shell fabric.
    Yeah, where were you last night at 5:30 Eastern Time when I started? That is basically what I did after about 10 minutes of trial and error. The nice thing about old equipment is that the thread becomes a little brittle. There were many stretches that I was able to gently pull the nylon and the stitches would rip for about a foot or so once I got it started; loved that.

Images
    Sorry, just saw this this morning...

Glad you figured it out on your own though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Glad you figured it out on your own though.
    Path of least resistance is my most favorite path.

west marine right down the street from my house... good to know its a source.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Don't bet on it being a source. I've found them to be very similar to the Walmart cheap fabric bin; they don't always exist at every store. I found something there a while back (don't remember what) and somebody posted a day or so later that the West Marine by them did not stock it. But, yes I buy a lot of my rope/cord there. I can't believe I didn't think to check for the shockcord. I thought I'd be done with West Marine when I sold my last boat....WRONG!

I think i've finally figured how i'm going to go about making an underquilt using this spare sleeping bag. a shock corded undercover (walmart bargain bin) that the sleepingbag zips onto to avoid the stretch issues on the underside of the hammock. (and because i hate to sew directly to my brand new HH)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I just want to take a moment to vent about cheap gear. I bought another sleeping bag yesterday (it was camo and less than $15, it couldn't be helped) for my cheapo UQ experiments. It is the Target brand (Greatland) and I'm pretty sure I remember something about China on the tag. We can argue about the global economy and the politics involved until the sun explodes; doesn't matter.

What does matter is the quality of products we purchase. Last week I found an old Coleman sleeping bag at a Thrift Shop; it had to be 15 years old. It took me a couple of hours of tedious work to rip all the seams on the bag. The thread would rip-out a few inches at a time when I pulled the two pieces of fabric apart. Then I'd cut a few more stitches and repeat the process over and over. I was happy the old thread would give me a few inches at a time that I didn't have to rip with the tool. The nylon turned out to be no good, but the insulation is in great shape; albeit polka dotted.

Now, brand new bag went on the cutting floor last night. Total time to rip ALL seams; about 6 minutes! I'm a fairly smart fella when I want to be and I do pride myself on being a quick study, but that's crazy. The thread used on this new bag is JUNK. With about the same amount of force used to open a bag of potato chips I was able to just pull the shell and liner apart. I think I cut about 12 stitches, that's it. I never used the ripping tool on the zipper. Just one long pull and the thing was completely removed from the bag. The insulation was useless; it looked like the insulation they blow into attics.

I'm just saying there is a HUGE difference in quality and all you have to do to find out is take one apart. I like cheap, but there is NO WAY I'd rely on anything made by this outfit; even for car camping. You're better off with a quality piece of gear made two decades ago than the useless piece of garbage that this company sells as a sleeping bag. Just a heads-up.

If your looking for shock cord, go to Harbor Freight. Look for there bungee cargo nets for pick-up trucks. Untie the knots and you will have tens of feet of it. Comes in two different diameters. Here is a link
    <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93671>
    unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks unknown and welcome to the forum!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123