WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hope your gear works out for you. Have a safe trip!

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by mgeller View Post

- Bugnet was a mess, started with a ridgeline for it (was hitting tarp), moved it onto the hammock adjustable ridgeline but that was a little low
    - Hammock seems a little tight, worried about fitting sleeping bag + mat in it .
    I have had no problem with space in my eno double with the bug net. I don't use a separate ridgeline to hold it up , the webbing sewn in the top is plenty strong enough to hold it . My hammock ridgeline is just long enough to keep all the hammock inside the net and I tighten it with a prussic and a carabiner around the base of each whoopiesling .Once the hammock is up you can take the sag out of the net by sliding the prussics out. This method hold the net very tight above the ridgeline on my hammock giving me plenty of space. I also cut the little plastic clips off the top because they are not needed with this method .
    Last edited by myles to go; 08-17-2010 at 07:42.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great job testing before you went! Nice to know what you need to work on before you get there. Sounds like you've gotten some sound advice already. My only advice is just to take your time with your setup once you arrive, there's nothing worse than having to readjust at 2:00am because you rushed through it the first time.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    I have had no problem with space in my eno double with the bug net. I don't use a separate ridgeline to hold it up , the webbing sewn in the top is plenty strong enough to hold it . My hammock ridgeline is just long enough to keep all the hammock inside the net and I tighten it with a prussic and a carabiner around the base of each whoopiesling .Once the hammock is up you can take the sag out of the net by sliding the prussics out. This method hold the net very tight above the ridgeline on my hammock giving me plenty of space. I also cut the little plastic clips off the top because they are not needed with this method .
    Big thanks for the idea... I should have enough parts laying around to do that without buying a thing.

This would also get my DIY gearbag back inside of the bugnet (key problem with putting the adjustable ridgeline outside of the net).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Spn Dlx w/drs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 3 Ssn
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Always a good idea to test your equipment before you really need to depend on it.

If you are close enough to Midwest Mountaineering, you can get Polyester 1" webbing by the foot at their Thrifty Outfitters. Polyester stretches very little. That is where I get all of my webbing for DIY.

John

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great idea to test first. I had a Crazy Creek tarp. Worst one I ever tested. Don't have it anymore...

ENO can work great...lots of folks use it and choose not to upgrade b/c they find it comfortable.

When you're ready to save some weight, Warbonnet makes a lighter bug net. If that's a setup you want to stick with (separate bug net), it'll be cheaper to just get a bug net than to buy a fancier hammock. Plus, this way you can save some weight by leaving the bug net at home in the winter.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    BIG OLD PLUS ONE on the WB bug net ... I like it ... especially the new one with the arched zipper.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Images
    If there is not enough coverage with the tarp, and you don't want to buy an expensive tarp until you know you are going to stick with hammocks, you could always buy a cheap, but big, tarp at WM or Harbor Freight or wherever. You could even buy a relatively small one to use added to the CC tarp when the weather stinks. The two together would give you plenty of length past your hammock RL. Assuming the CC tarp is wide enough. Otherwise, just go with a long and wide enough cheap tarp. It only needs to last one trip while you check this out. I only recommend that because you don't yet want to spend the money for a JRB or OES or others.

Just try to get one that will be tough enough to make it through at least a few storms. I'm not sure how you could know that with out going through a quality manufacturer? The tie outs- especially with grommets - are the most likely trouble spots. But if it rips in the bush, get a small round stone, wrap the tarp edge around and covering the stone, that and tie your line around it. A cheap tarp will provide as much coverage as an expensive one. But a rip in the tarp tie outs could leave you wet and soured on the whole hammock thing. So be ready to do a field repair. Though really, that could possibly happen even with expensive tarps.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-17-2010 at 10:17.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Spn Dlx w/drs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 3 Ssn
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Kelty makes a 9' tarp that works great with my hammock. I got mine for $60.00 at REI. Someone posted earlier that you can get 20% off one item there until the 18th.

John

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Pack some trash bags...you can make quick and dirty end caps for your hammock if the tarp isn't cutting it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast