Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lean To Hanging

Images
    I grew up in Syracuse, went to school in Rochester, and now live in Buffalo.

I would only use a lean to in case of real inclement weather - in fact, I only used a lean to once - while returning from a February climb of Marcy via Avalanche Pass we got hit by a blizard that prevented us from making it out that day as planned and we ended up taking shelter in a lean to - pitching the tents in the knee deep snow would have been futile. But the nest day was a beautiful hike out with bright sunshine. Back then our packs were 50 or more lbs with ice axes, crampons, and snow shoes attached.

And in the Eastern High Peaks region you can no longer have camp fires so the fire ring is irrelevant.

But if I could hang in a lean to during a wind driven rain or hail storm (as is likely in late October) then a leeward facing lean to would be some protection from the storm. Of course, if the weather is that bad we always just use the lean to as shelter and sleep on its floor sans the hammocks

this thread is making me wish i wasn't so busy with work!
    i'm in burlington, vt - the color has been wonderful this year - and the air smells so good.

as a new hanger, can i ask if you are hanging with an underquilt or pads? or something else for insulation? its getting chilly overnight up here.

i haven't done much high peaks ADK hiking - spent a few weekends at lake lila in a canoe - but its across the lake and on my list to do. also hand built parts of a cabin just south of malone - all my tools and wood and gear had to go in by boat.

jealous of your trip!
    i lived in roch and then canandaigua for about 5 years. liked the upstate - but much happier here in VT.

*and watch out for them bears. i've seen warning information at the local gear outfitters in town.

Images
    Coming in a little late on this one. I hung in a shelter 2 nights ago off of the horizontal rafter. It was a solid log with plenty of support. I think you have to take it on a case by case basis. It is is anchored well it should hold.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    as a new hanger, can i ask if you are hanging with an underquilt or pads? or something else for insulation? its getting chilly overnight up here.
    I am a new hanger too - my only experience has been the testing I did in my back yard. On this trip I'm going to use a blue cf walmart pad cut in half and put them in the hammock sideways so the two halves curl up around my knees and shoulders. then I'll use a Big Agness 66" insulated air core on top of that for comfort, additional insulation, and to cover the gap between the pads that is created when I'm in the hammock.

The weather reports suggest lows in the 40's Sat night. You should be warm enough. Consider using your bag only as a quilt. If you plan on cooler weather hanging, consider buying or making an underquilt. My homemade Potomac type kept me comfortable to 20 degrees at the Loj last Nov. It's a lot less fussing with multiple pads. I still use my 27" Target blue pad for warmer hangs.

Gotta go with the ring buckles/straps, too.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    "And in the Eastern High Peaks region you can no longer have camp fires so the fire ring is irrelevant. "-NOGODS

Why? are they on drought fire ban?
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    "And in the Eastern High Peaks region you can no longer have camp fires so the fire ring is irrelevant. "-NOGODS

Why? are they on drought fire ban?
    It is a permanent regulation - I think it is because too many hikers were choping down trees to make campfires.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    (tents are prohibited in and near lean tos).
    Just curious: why's that?

Images
    Tents are prohibited inside lean tos because lean tos are designed for up to 8 people who have no other shelter and a tent would occupy the entire lean to.

Hammock
    2 Hennessy Explorers 1-Bottom,1-zip
    Tarp
    Stock (both)
    Insulation
    Ensolite & HGUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Cinchbug
    Hey... I used to live in Buffalo and Rochester.
    I don't think that you will be able to find enough space to hang a strap over the logs that make up the beams of the roof of the LT (Spoken as a 46er and a former ADK LT adopter and long time ADK Club tripleader and former BOD member). In addition, the back drops quite a bit, so you might have a hard time hanging diagonal and not being on the floor. Also probably not enough room to hang sideways, keeping in mind that if anyone else came into the LT's, you would probably need to take the hammock down and afford them space to sleep.
    But let me know how it turns out. I think though, that you will find plenty of decent spots to hang at lower els, around the LT's.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast