Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions and advice on the new zippered Hennesy's

Hello All. I am looking at HH's Deep Jungle Asym (with the dbl bottom and radiant heat pad). Since I am a bit new to all this, I was wondering about the advantages of the zippered side v. bottom opening. Also, feelings on this hammock v. the other HH line? I am really looking for something 3 season, and like the idea of a double bottom rather than messing with the sleeping pad.

Also, any thoughts around the material comparison? I am usually around 180 lbs., with a 30-50lb pack.

Really appreciate the advice.

-Frostbyte

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Check out the Hennessy Hammock sub-forum.

I don't own a HH, but I heavily researched the HH Deep Jungle versus the War Bonnet Blackbird. I eventually chose the WBBB, but here's my opinions on the subject:

Also check out http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/revi...ters/Hammocks/ for some great reviews of the HH Deep Jungle and the WBBB (and other hammocks).

- HH's bottom entry seems to be a love-hate issue. The side zipper offers an easier entry, plus you can unzip the bug net and use the hammock as a chair much easier than the HH bottom entry hammocks. FYI, a lot of bottom entry HH owners have installed aftermarket side zippers (2QZQ or something to that effect).
    - HH bottom entry hammocks require a slotted underquilt (UQ) for cold weather use, so that you can attach the UQ and still enter the hammock through the bottom slit.
    - Another side zipper benefit: if your UQ shifts around, you can easily adjust it without getting out of the hammock.
    - The HH Deep Jungle is rated at somewhere around 250-300 lbs
    - You can order WBBBs in various material strengths, from single layer to double layer, and get a more custom hammock that suits your needs.
    - HH's require that you tie a figure 8 not to lash the hammock to the tree straps. Of course, you could decide to buy an aftermarket suspension and replace the stock HH one (whoopie slings, straps).
    - HH Deep Jungle is a highly rated hammock, but I chose the WBBB 1.1 double and absolutely love it.
    - HH Deep Jungle is sold as a complete package - hammock, tarp, straps, and even the reflective insulating pad. The included pad got some good reviews - as long as you stay in 3 season temp range, you could get away without an UQ.
    - Both HH and Warbonnet have good customer service. I emailed both several times and always got prompt answers.
    - WBBB doesn't come with all that stuff, so you'd have to buy it separately (pad or UQ, tarp). However, after doing a lot of research, I personally decided that I like the ease and simplicity of the WBBB's strap suspension. And I really didn't like the HH's smallish tarp - even though you can upgrade to a 19 ounce hex shaped tarp for another $60. I figured that I'd eventually spend more money upgrading my HH than I would if I just bought what I wanted with the WBBB and an OES MacCat Spinn tarp.

Good luck, this forum was a huge help to me! Be sure to check out the video section - tons of great info!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbyte View Post
    Hello All. I am looking at HH's Deep Jungle Asym (with the dbl bottom and radiant heat pad). Since I am a bit new to all this, I was wondering about the advantages of the zippered side v. bottom opening. Also, feelings on this hammock v. the other HH line? I am really looking for something 3 season, and like the idea of a double bottom rather than messing with the sleeping pad.

Also, any thoughts around the material comparison? I am usually around 180 lbs., with a 30-50lb pack.

Really appreciate the advice.

-Frostbyte
    I own a couple of the HH Deep Jungles and they are easily my favorite of the HH models. The fabric used is strong on its own; as a double layer, it's a plenty strong hammock. I'm in the 230 range and don't notice any significant stretch in the Deep Jungles. I don't think you need to worry about that.

The zippered entry makes life much easier and more convenient. The bottom entry excels at mosquito infested environments because of the rapid sealing. That's where the modified HHs really shine, best of both worlds. Problem with a bottom slit on the Deep Jungles is the fact that they're a double layer. You could still do it, but you'd lose some space for inserting a pad between the layers. If you don't use a pad and use an underquilt instead, well then losing the pad space isn't an issue. This is most likely my next project; putting in a bottom entry slit on one of my Deep Jungles.

It lays just like its cousins in the plain ole Explorer Aysm line. The biggest difference in feel is the fabric; very soft against the skin. Me likey! It's a solid hammock, easy to set, and comes with everything you need. But, as Globetruck pointed out, there are lots of improvements to be made for most hangers. Not all, there are still a few 'stock' users out there, but certainly the majority have made some type of major modification. Be it zippers, larger tarp, or suspension swaps, you won't get bored.

Spend the extra $$ and get the larger tarp. Rumor has it the larger tarp is a fine tarp. Then, go search out some of the suspension threads on here (there are a WHOLE bunch!). Suspensions are generally inexpensive to build or buy and are a breeze to switch-out. Just stay away from Dutch, his stuff is like crack for suspension-heads.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have a stock HH UL Asym, modified with two zippers. If it were not for the added zippers, I would have gotten rid of my HH. Now, I love it.

With zippers, I can get my sleeping pad, sleeping bag, and whatever all aligned and positioned just so. Then all I have to do is to sit down on them. With the bottom entry, it was an amazing task to do all that while inside and holding oneself up full length off them, so I could shift them around. Horrible contortions.

May not answer your question about the particular model, but my two cents on zippers, which saved my HH for me.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well I started with HH's back when they weren't aysm ... my current HH is a Expedition that after getting 2QZQ's Mod4 ... is absolutely the best of the best to me. Just love using it.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Gentlemen, I thank you all for taking the time to reply. This is exactly what I am looking for. I had read a lot of the threads on the HH forum and had figured that the reason for introducing the side zipper was customer demand.

Globetruck, I appreciate your insights on the zipper. When thinking about it, I thought the side zip would make an easier time of using it as a chair. I had also read of some of the chafing and discomfort from the bottom slit, so as long as there was not a major reason for objection, I had thought the side zip was the way to go. I actually looked and like the WBBB, but I am deeply involved in the "Leave No Trace" movement and since HH is a corporate sponsor, I will go with them all things being equal or close to it. I do appreciate all the advice though.

Cannibal: Thanks as well for the insights, especially around the fabric softness. That pretty much makes up my mind for the Deep Jungle. Also, I think HH is offering a free upgrade to their Hex Tarp now, along with the snakeskins, so that makes it a good deal for me. I will definitely upgrade the harness to straps or whoopie, though it makes teaching my Scouts about the usefulness of knowing whatnots about what knots.

Thanks Rain Man for reiterating the zipper. I did not think about having to dink around with the sleeping bag for the bottom entry, but that makes going zippered an easier decision certainly!

I appreciate the +1 on the HH's Hawk-eye. I just don't want to spend the money making a bonehead decision. Glad to hear that the HH's have a long term presence and following.

Well, back to the grind! :-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbyte View Post
    I will definitely upgrade the harness to straps or whoopie, though it makes teaching my Scouts about the usefulness of knowing whatnots about what knots.
    But helps with that whole LNT thing I'm sure you are teaching your Scouts.
    Plenty of knots to be found on a hammock rig. I'm sure you won't have any problems teaching them rope-work. In fact, whoopie slings sound like a good merit badge project.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the Explorer Deluxe with side zip, and I love it. I have it paired with HH's silnylon hex fly (which you get as a substitute for the standard fly by asking in the comments section of your order. They charge only the difference in price). The Hex allows for a lot of coverage, and a lot of room to move in. The side zip is much easier to enter than the bottom (which I had in an Expedition i sold a little while back).

I was out in July for a weekend down at Leavenworth, WA. The campground was inundated with mozzies. I had no issues when it came to entry and exit. You can typically get in and out fast enough the little bug**rs won't get in with you.

Images
    Cannibal( or any one else),
    Can you get that DJ net completely out of the way, like if you wanted to use a Pea Pod?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Cannibal( or any one else),
    Can you get that DJ net completely out of the way, like if you wanted to use a Pea Pod?
    Alas, no you cannot. Only about half way without doing a mod or two.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast