Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

Need Injector Assistance

I tried to get a picture but you couldn't see the problem. So . . .

When I sew(or try) a loop forms between where the top thread exits the machine head and where the little 'keeper' is at the top of the needle. It's maybe 2 inches of thread. Adjusting the top tension doesn't seem to make any difference. Wreaks havoc after only a few inches, of course.

I don't think it's me because I can sew on a friend's machine with no problems.

This machine is a newish Singer (something very low end). As such, I'm hesitant to take it to the shop because the base charge may be almost as much as a replacement machine.

Can anybody diagnose my problem from this description?

I'm ready to throw this machine out the window and just go buy the same model my friend has. It's only $79 new. And I'm always fighting something with this machine.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    The Rev will probably reply soon with the right answer but in the meantime...

It sounds like a serious tension imbalance between the top and the bobbin, specifically the bobbin tension much less than the top tension. As a test, try reducing the top tension as much as possible and see if the problem diminishes. If you still have the problem, either the bobbin tension is messed up (too little tension) or tension is getting added somewhere topside -- thread too large for the needle, perhaps, or more likely the thread path is somehow incorrect.

Just an amateur's guess here...
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Actually, disregard my previous reply. After re-reading your description I misunderstood the problem. Sorry you couldn't have posted a picture. I'll try to find one for clarification.

Edit: Okay, is this where the problem is?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frawg; 08-17-2010 at 22:14.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Yes. Thanks. That's where it is.

Jbo

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    jboc,
    Is your machine similar to the one frawg posted?

My experience with that machine is when threaded properly the thread does slack a bit at the location pointed to on post 3.
    Thats part of normal operation. But the tangles in the stitch, not so much.

1. Make sure its threaded right.
    From spool, to the top curly eye thread guide (not around small disc at top, thats for tensioning the bobbin winder only)--> down to tension disc/knob (hold thread firm and pull thread around the bottom of the disc, and back up, snapping it behind the little wire tension spring) --> To uplift arm eye -->Down to the large thread hook on side of machine--> Down to small hook on needle arm -->Into needle eye -->Under foot and out, pulled to the right of foot.

The presser foot needs to be down on this machine to engage the tension discs. Pull the small cover on the left of the machine and make sure its clean in that compartment. And the presser foot mechanism is working proper.

2. Check that bobbin is wound correctly. Wind another if necessary! Clean and inspect bobbin case for debri/fuzz build up, especially under tension flap.
    Clean as needed. I've had small bits of thread trapped in the flap, it'll wreak havok on adjusting "proper" tension.

Check tension of bobbin. It should just hold itself up, as you dangle it from your thread. It should slide out as you wiggle it, but hold the case aloft and stop when not wiggling.

3. Make sure the needle is not bent. Inspect and replace as needed.

4. Hold upper thread firmly turn wheel towards you to retrieve bobbin thread, one or two turns should snag the bobbin thread. Pull bobbin thread up and to the right of foot.

The machine pictured is a different beast, it works from the left to the right thru the needle. Not front to back.
    Make sure the needle is installed correctly.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    ...a loop forms between where the top thread exits the machine head and where the little 'keeper' is at the top of the needle.
    That may be normal, if you have it threaded correctely. At any rate, it appears that you have decided that it's the cause of the problem, when it may or may not be...
    Wreaks havoc after only a few inches, of course.
    Please describe the havoc in detail. It matters a lot which side of the fabric the havoc is on...

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    It's a newer machine than that appears to be.

The "havoc" is usually a bunch of open loops on he underside but it also sometimes just binds and breaks the top thread.

That loop may not be the problem. It just wasn't on other machines I've used.

Maybe I'll get a quick video of it. Though I have no idea how to post it.

Thanks.

Jbo

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    The "havoc" is usually a bunch of open loops on he underside
    Increase top thread tension.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is decidedly a top tension problem. However, increasing the top tension may not have the desired effect. Here's why... The tension plates on that machine have a small circular hooked spring in them which is essential to the proper operation of the tension system. If the hook spring is not there then in all likelihood it is broken and _must_ be repaired before the tension system will work right. If it is there, then it must be included in the threading pattern. If the machine is threaded correctly, including the spring then you need to look elsewhere for the problem if simply adjusting the top tension does not work. The arm that goes up and down is called the "take up arm". During the stitch process ir rises to the top pulling the thread to the needle tight and pulling additional thread through the tension plates. If the take up arm works that way them you may have problems beyond the top tension settings. Such problems _could_ include gunk on the tension plates which needs to be buffed off. The whole needle and feed dog assembly may need to be deep cleaned and buffed. It may be a combination of all of the above. If you have the equipment and the knowledge to buff fine metallic parts you may be able to do the work yourself. Otherwise it is not something I would suggest you try to accomplish. The tolerances of those parts can be very exact and you may end up really messing things up totally.

In so far as the bench price being the equivalent of a replacement machine, you may be right, but I can just about assure you any replacement machine would have the exact or similar problems in the price range you are talking about. It's your choice to make the decision to have it looked at or replaced if the easy solutions are not the answer.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Spn Dlx w/drs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 3 Ssn
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    How often do you change your needle? I have had a bent or worn out needle cause all sorts of havoc with stitches. Try that and see if it helps any.

John

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast