Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was thinking that my above thoughts are purely hypothetical and unfortunately I may not get a chance to see how they work. I do believe though that the rigging described in the previous posts is a possible solution to tarp sag and I may indeed use some variation of it in my new venture. I have changed my hammock from the HH "Deep Jungle" reg. to the "Deep Jungle XL" and in the process upgraded the tarp to the new "Typhoon" model with the polyurethane backing. The rigging of this will probably be different than how the stock tarp is set up. I think though that I will probably use surgical tubing for an elastic if I think a substitute for shock cord would be beneficial.
    Last edited by jtbradyl; 08-18-2010 at 21:34.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Opie made his tarp tensioners out of silicon tubing because of the cold temperature issues. This stuff can be gotten at your local hobby store if they sell remote controlled vehicles and is pretty cheap. It is sold as fuel line.

I have made a complete set of tarp tieout lines with tensioners using silicon tubing and haven't had an issue with either UV issues or temperature issues. for the cost involved and the PITA construction issues, you might go to Whoopieslings.com and just order a set for your tarp.

The shock cord is affected by UV rays and cold temperature. Of course if cold temperature is not an issue than use whatever works for you. HYOH/YMMV

I meant to say that surgical tubing has a break down issue caused by UV rays and not shock cord. That was an issue that TeeDee had brought to my attention, when discussing construction materials for tarp tensioners and reefing lines awhile back
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    JT - is this what you're talking about?
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...ensioner2.html

I tested these on the ridgeline and they don't work so well, but it's great for the side tie-outs. Still may not be enough to fully overcome the flawed design/technique of attaching the tarp to the hammock supports, though. (At least to get a tight stormproof pitch...attaching to the hammock supports can still keep you dry in moderate rains.)

But I like tying my tarp separately so that I have a dry place to pull out my hammock and quilts...rather than trying to set up the entire hammock in the rain. Just my technique...yours may vary.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, and I used to use a lot of recycled inner tubes, they're made of vulcanized rubber which doesn't respond well to repetitive stretching. Latex rubber does but has issues with temp extremes.
    My only real concern with using rubber is the possible staining of the fabric if the tarp or tent is left rolled up for some time. The rubber out-gasses as it decays and breaks down and the vapors can't freely dissipate.

daryl
    Last edited by dlg62c; 08-19-2010 at 04:47.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12