WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dvisic View Post
    This brings up a confusion I have about the SRL (I'm a newb myself):

If the purpose of the SRL is to make the amount of hammock sag consistent, then wouldn't the SRL be taut when the hammock is hung? Otherwise, is it really doing anything? If the SRL isn't taut, isn't that providing for MORE sag than intended?

Sorry if this isn't making any sense. I can provide a graphic if necessary. lol
    I think the ridgeline should be taut on the BB especially to support the bugnet. That's how I have it when I hang in mine. I was suggesting he try different sags to find his sweet spot. I should have elaborated to say that he should then shorten his SRL so he can find it consistently.

If someone wants to have a super tight SRL, that's fine. If someone wants it loose enough to bend it 90 degrees with their fingers, that's fine. IMO as long as you can use the SRL to consistently get to your comfort zone then that is all that matters.

On my lounging and dayhiking hammocks I have removed my SRL's because I can get comfy without them, and they get in my way. Others will say they can't hang without them and that is OK. In the end it is all about how you get your comfortable hang going and what works for you.
    Last edited by Bubba; 08-19-2010 at 19:44.

Images
    One thing to consider: there is a tight RL, and then there is a TIGHT RL! You can pull a RL until it is pretty straight. Then when you lay in the hammock, the RL might be slightly loose or pretty tight, and you might choose to adjust some more.

Then again, you can really pull that sucker tight. Especially with various devices like cinch buckle or such. But even with nothing extra, I have found that ( Edit: with stock HH huggers fig 8 lashing) I am capable of really pulling the RL TOO tight with just the stock set up.

I guess what I'm saying is that a RL pulled out to it's full length can still allow for some noticeable variables in how the hammock sags.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-20-2010 at 20:18.

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Lonely. To your second point. How'd that chigger hop in there with you and chomp your hand?

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    Lonely. To your second point. How'd that chigger hop in there with you and chomp your hand?
    I'm not really sure about that. I think my fiance left the hammock open when she was hanging in it, and since the hammock is on a hill it hangs pretty low once your in it.

I'm only just now healing up from the bites...I was stick a day or two after this, and it looked like I got stung by a bee. So I'm apparently more allergic than I thought.

I'm going to try another hang tonight, it's supposed to be in the mid to low 50s, so keeping warm is going to be my challenge.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    I wathed this video from warbonnetguy a million times when I was waiting on mine to come in. I always try to get my SRL the way he demonstrates. I've never really had any problems doing it like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWlM0pROnpU
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinasbackpacker View Post
    I wathed this video from warbonnetguy a million times when I was waiting on mine to come in. I always try to get my SRL the way he demonstrates. I've never really had any problems doing it like that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWlM0pROnpU
    Well, I watched this video a couple times last night, then went out to setup the hammock again. I realized that because of the hill, maybe I wasn't centered between the trees and it was affecting my hang. I also made sure the ridgeline was as shown in the video.

I crawled into the hammock about 10:30pm (early for me). Rolled around for a bit, tightened and loosened, tried laying Shug style, tried lots of things. I read my Zombie book for about 30 minutes till I started drifting off, then woke up about 1am sore and twisted up (cold didn't bother me one bit, I loved it!). I also kept waking up "snorting", like a sleep apnea type gasp for breath. So I'm clearly too scrunched up to be comfortable.

I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm sure glad I'm not finding all this out while camping! At least at 1am I can grab my pillow and crawl back in bed (which again feels weird and almost uncomfortable after being in the hammock).

I'm going to see if I can do a Stealth hang sometime soon. Somewhere near home where I can locate two trees that are on more level ground, and closer together. I think part of my problem is that the only two trees I can string from in my yard are about 25' apart. Maybe that is adding a complication that a newb such as myself doesn't know how to adjust for.

Not giving up, but still frustrated.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    With trees 25' apart, you'd have to have your tree strap connection VERY high in order to get sufficient sag. For an optimal 30 degrees, you'd have to be around 9 feet above the ground.

It's worth playing around with to see if it will help. In my experience, 25 feet is a LOOOONG distance for hanging.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    With trees 25' apart, you'd have to have your tree strap connection VERY high in order to get sufficient sag. For an optimal 30 degrees, you'd have to be around 9 feet above the ground.

It's worth playing around with to see if it will help. In my experience, 25 feet is a LOOOONG distance for hanging.
    Way ahead of you on that one. I tossed the 'biners about 9'-10' up to try and get me that 30 degree angle.

As I said, I'm going to try for some trees with a smaller spread, and see if that helps me. I love this 'bird, but I need to figure out how to be comfotable in it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Way ahead of you on that one. I tossed the 'biners about 9'-10' up to try and get me that 30 degree angle.

As I said, I'm going to try for some trees with a smaller spread, and see if that helps me. I love this 'bird, but I need to figure out how to be comfotable in it!
    I think the shorter distance may help. I once had mine between the only two trees that were available and they were over 20 feet apart. Even though the structural ridgeline helped is still wasn't as comfortabel as the next time when the trees I used were 15 feet apart. Kind of weird but that's what I found. Keep at it and let us know how its going.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I have learned to deal a bit with the leg pressure, it's always there for me in my hammock. I have to do the one leg under the other knee trick on my back to sleep and I snore badly flat on my back so I also have to lay in an in-between position between on my side and on my back. I need pillows under my knees and sometimes a little extra between my knees if I try to side sleep. Full-on side sleeping only happens for me after I have fallen asleep I can't start out that way.

I have never found it to be dreamy comfort so I do wake sometimes with a little soreness in my hips or knees and just turn a bit and shift around to alleviate it and go back to sleep. Compared to trying to sleep on a backpacking pad though... no contest. However I sleep best a bit on my belly and that is not possible in a hammock and so sometimes car camping when I can bring a proper mattress I prefer to grab a pillow and plop on my belly and sleep like I were in bed.

Now I have a Clark not a BB so I have to deal with a more curved sleeping position but I know I never reached that level of ZEN comfort that many seem to have even in the Clarks so it may be a bit of adjustment to expectations as well. I will ALWAYS choose my hammock over a tent on backpacking/primitive camp because even if it is not as heavenly as I heard it beats waking up with dead arm, frozen leg, rock in hip, tweaked neck 7 times a night. Often I wake once or twice for a quick adjustment in the hammock and then immediately fall back to sleep and crawl out pretty rested in the morning vs feeling like I never slept at all in the tent and only finally really sleeping from sheer exhaustion on day 3.

I'm not discouraging you, far from it but I was ready to throw in the towel after a time because as nice as it was I was expecting heaven but never got it. Now I just know what to expect and worked to find a ways to deal with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast