WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing

Blackbird - First Night Sleeping

So I've setup the new Blackbird on the side yard of my house a couple times now, and lounged in it...but last night was my first attempt at actually spending a whole night in it (got a little grief from the Fiance about it too! ). This is my first hammock, so bear with me, and I'm open to any guidance.

I went to "bed" around 10:30pm, which is early for me, expecting to read for a bit then really try to hunker down for the night.

I swear I was zonked out in 30 minutes...and I usually don't fall asleep that quickly...the gears are always turning in this birds head, so I don't nod off easy.

I woke up almost 1am though, a little chilled (it was dropping to 60 and I have zero insulation), but that's not what was bothering me. My knees were hurting.

I'm a side sleeper, and I guess the slight curvature of the hammock was putting pressure on my knees (bending them sideways) and it was just more than I could handle for the whole night. That, and some little bug snuck in there with me and must have been nibbling on my hand as I had several little bites (and I'm allergic to many bug bites). So I just called it a night and went back to the house and into bed.

It was weird getting into a bed after the hammock...the hammock is really more comfortable, but I need to re-hang it or something...I just can't take this bending on my knees. If I can't figure this out, I may have to sell the Blackbird and...ugh, go to ground...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Stuffsack or small pillow under knees works wonders.
    Don't give up the comfort yet!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Stuffsack or small pillow under knees works wonders.
    Don't give up the comfort yet!
    Shug
    Oh, not giving up yet...I have too much invested (both time, effort, and money) to give up so soon.

I'll try a pillow under the knees and see if this helps. I did have a small pillow between my knees...which is how I sleep in a bed...and I was fine for a while.

I'm also going to try and adjust the angle on the suspension...it's hard to tell from that cell phone photo, but the hammock is over a small hill, and the foot end is on a tree that's 2' lower (down the hill) than the head side. So to get anywhere near that 30 degree angle, I had to throw the strap about 9' up into the tree, and I I'm still not quite 30 degrees (the spread between the trees is large as well, probably 20').

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I would try again. I have very little problem with the inverted knee thing in my BB. Are you sure you were laying on teh diangle enough and the hammock wasn't strung too tight? Also before you go to the ground try a bridge hammock. That can be perfectly straight.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    I haqd to work with mine to get that flat lay but you will find it. For me it involved setting it up and getting in and out a few times.
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well, don't stand on ceremony. Try a lot of different things. If you can find an angle that makes you more comfortable, I'd go with that over the "rules". JMO. Good luck! Don't give up!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    So you are saying your knees were hurting ( common complaint for many 1st time hangers) but ON YOUR SIDE? That is a bit unusual, I don't think I have heard that before, if I am "hearing" you right. Side "torque" is the more common complaint with side sleeping. Was this in fetal position or with legs straight?
    For knee or left calf pain (assuming feet towards right side on diagonal) while back sleeping, put a folded jacket or whatever you have (maybe unworn clothes in a stuff sack). Usually, problem solved, in my experience. But I don't really know what to do about knee pain while on your side, other than fetal position. Although, putting some padding between your knees might help.

If you can't work it out,you might want to try a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge hammock (BMBH). All gathered end ( like WBBB) and bridge hammocks each have their own set of pros and cons. But when it comes to the much sought after "flat" sleeping position(and easy pad use), on back or side, a bridge hammock is king of the hill.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    one more trick i do is take my one leg bend it at the knee so it passes under the other leg. The bent leg isn't gettign any pressure b/c of it's position and the other knee gets elevated from having the first leg under it. Sounds uncomfortable but it really is quite anatural lay for me.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    one more trick i do is take my one leg bend it at the knee so it passes under the other leg. The bent leg isn't gettign any pressure b/c of it's position and the other knee gets elevated from having the first leg under it. Sounds uncomfortable but it really is quite anatural lay for me.
    +1 This also works really well for me. I also have the foot end higher than most I've seen. Dunno if this makes much difference, but I sure get a flatter lay myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    If that picture is how it's hung, the ridgeline has too much slack.

Hang it so that the ridgeline has just a little sag to it. When you get in, the ridgeline should be taut, but not so much that you can't grab it and put a little twist in. Foot end needs to be a bit higher than the head end.

I would grab the strap on the stuff sack end and give it a yank. If tweaking the suspension doesn't get you there, you're too high on the trees. Go high when the trees are farther apart, like 20-25 feet. 15 - 20 feet you don't need to stand on things - about eye height.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast