Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Yeah, I tossed and turned for a while after I woke up, I tried all sorts of positions because I didn't want to give up so easily and go back into the house.

I do lay on the diagonal with my feet in the foot box. If I was any more of a diagonal, I'd have to stick my head out the zipper. I lay somewhat in a fetal position, more like a long "S". Just to clarify, I lay on my left side, and my legs felt like they were being bent to the right (up the curvature of the hammock). So my left knee hurt more than my right.

I think I just need to adjust the lay of the hammock. My back and torso felt so relaxed, it was just my legs that were getting bent weird. I even tried scooting up the hammock, but of course my torso slid back down to the middle more. I'll try some different suspension angles and try putting the foot end lower and higher compared to the head end and see how that works.

I've taken down and re-setup the hammock every other day this week so I can do it smoothly and efficiently when it comes to campground time. All my friends think I'm nuts for going to a hammock, so I want their first time seeing a real camping hammock setup to be impressive.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Double check the way you are sleeping on the diagonal. I find that there can be a little raised area...which actually supports my legs. Of course, I start on my side and wind up on my back.

As far as the bugs go...I feel for you...see my trail name. I, also, react terribly to insect bites. I've been using Cutters insect repellent with Picaridin. It is a lot less greasy than DEET and doesn't have that awful smell. Try it and see if it helps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    If that picture is how it's hung, the ridgeline has too much slack.
    I disagree with that statement, as that photo is pretty much exactly what my Birds look like when they're set. However, it's a really good point for someone trying to find their comfort zone. Sag is personal and structural ridglelines make it generic. Theoretically, this means a constant and consistent hang. In reality, the sag is still a major component of comfort and everyone is different in that regard. Playing with the tension, or lack of, on the ridgeline will have some pretty dramatic effects on the comfort. Tighten it up and see what happens, then loosen it up and see what happens. Odds are you'll find something great in-between the extremes. Once you figure out what your ridgeline should look like to achieve comfort, it gets pretty easy to eye-ball every time after.

Good luck and have no fears. You'll get it and when you do, be sure you have some nap-time reserved.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I disagree with that statement, as that photo is pretty much exactly what my Birds look like when they're set. However, it's a really good point for someone trying to find their comfort zone. Sag is personal and structural ridglelines make it generic. Theoretically, this means a constant and consistent hang. In reality, the sag is still a major component of comfort and everyone is different in that regard. Playing with the tension, or lack of, on the ridgeline will have some pretty dramatic effects on the comfort. Tighten it up and see what happens, then loosen it up and see what happens. Odds are you'll find something great in-between the extremes. Once you figure out what your ridgeline should look like to achieve comfort, it gets pretty easy to eye-ball every time after.

Good luck and have no fears. You'll get it and when you do, be sure you have some nap-time reserved.
    I'm looking forward to figuring it out!

I'm a newb, but once in the hammock, the ridgeline is like a razor. So it makes me think something is not quite right. I feel the body of the hammock needs to be a touch looser so I can get that diagonal better, and I'm able to flatten it out more. Whatching Shug's videos, I see that he has things down to a science (adjustable ridgeline with a mark to set his favorite setting - adjust from there). I totally understand all that, I just need to find what works for me.

At least that's my uneducated guess.

As for the photo, as I said, I've setup and taken down that hammock many times now. I can almost do it in the dark...but I still need to figure out what hang is right for me, then memorize the setup for that.
    Last edited by Lonely Raven; 08-19-2010 at 10:24.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You'll get there.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Nawh ... just give up now ... box it up and I'll send you my address ... and geesh I'll step up and give it a home. Least I could do for you as a newbie

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

I'm a newb, but once in the hammock, the ridgeline is like a razor..
    A little more sag may give your knees a little relief. As Cannibal said try the diferent levels of sag.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Nawh ... just give up now ... box it up and I'll send you my address ... and geesh I'll step up and give it a home. Least I could do for you as a newbie

Hawkeye.... You are such a kind person....
    I agree with the others.....Spend some hours in that puppy and get to know it.. I have been sleepin in my traveler now full time for the last couple weeks or so, and I am still tweeking it.. It's a tough job but someone has to do it..

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Hawkeye.... You are such a kind person....
    I try

... but seriously ... get that sag right and your diagonal lay worked out and you'll love it. Some folks find the pillow necessary ... I've not but that's just me. I'm primarily a side sleeper too.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

I watched the video made by the "Professor" about hanging the hammock and what he recommended was to hang it just loose enough so the ridge line begins to sag and then tie it off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast