Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cinch buckles

Images
    now it's added. had to read what has been going on there while i was at work first. rapt has some kind of open buckle thing that would be a lighter option for those who use a biner on the end of the suspension. the devices i was talking about are the 2 piece devices where the double ring/webbing wrap is done. sch's looks like it is wrapped differently, but it is just two suspension lines going into one device. the one rapt made is actually a page or so before and is hooks if you wanted a removeable device here it is: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=1706&page=37
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-17-2007 at 18:36.

Images
    As far as these modified figure nines lighter straps and all that stuff, I just don't trust it for a thru hike. It works fine at home where it can be replaced immediately, and if it breaks you have other ways to hang. If Cannibal or my system fails we are stuck on the ground until it can be replaced. Our hammocks will be used every night for almost 6 months. They will be frozen, cooked in the sun possibly, and used and abused constantly. I just don't want to risk ending my hike over a fall injury just to save a couple of ounces.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    used and abused constantly.
    You mean like this: LOL

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You mean like this: LOL

That's not abuse. That is calculated into the normal everyday wear and tear of my setup.

Besides, all of these poor guys on here talking about going as light as possible and using gear with lower ratings will have to tell those ladies to go somewhere else.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We should ask hammock engineer if he has found any with lasers on their heads yet. I might have to carry a space blanket for sure if that's the case.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    We should ask hammock engineer if he has found any with lasers on their heads yet. I might have to carry a space blanket for sure if that's the case.
    We should find a way to arrange for a girl to tie a laser pointer to her head and cross paths with Hammock Engineer while he is hiking. Just have her hike NOBO past him or something.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That is a GREAT idea!

Back to topic before we get yelled at; I've been watching that thread from afar, but at this point in the game I've gotta stick with what I know works. I'm pretty open to changes in most of my gear, but some things are pretty close to off-limits. My suspension set-up is one of those things.

Images
    i assume you are not worried about breaking 2000# spectra or 2000# owf webbing, but rather the devices. rapt is actually an engineer who has often done similar strength calcs in his job. i believe the specs for the anchor device he computer designed had a breaking strength based on the alloy used, the thickness and size of the device including the radiuses of the edges. if i remember correctly, it's breaking strength was quite strong.

don't forget, you are using unrated hardware now (the cinch buckle).

as far as breaking a device, i agree, you definately don't want it to happen. especially on a thru, but i think your margin of error may be a little higher than you think. it was recently agreed upon on the hitchcraft thread(by the designer of the hitchcraft mini, and grizz and blackbishop and several other engineers on this site), that for a pretty common 30 degree sag angle, the amount of force on each support rope is equal to your bodyweight. so you would probably not even load a device much over your bodyweight. anything with over a 1500# breaking strength should be plenty.

at some point, the hammock itself becomes the weakest link, and beefing up the suspension will do nothing but add weight. i think a 2000# suspension has crossed that point.

someone also made the point (hitchcraft jr i believe) recently that line and webbing are rated on breaking strength, but rope handling devices are rated with a safe working load. this listed rating is often 1/3 of the actual breaking strength of the device. so a device with a much lower rating than the rope/webbing isn't necessarily weaker because the number is lower.i think alum. rap rings however may be rated with a breaking strength b/c they are climbing equipment.

either way if anything but the hammock breaks, you should be ok (ground sleeping wise). line and webbing can be tied back together, and the device can be replaced with a knot. that is if you still rember how to tie those old things

here's the link to the hammock force thread:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=hitchcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    As far as these modified figure nines lighter straps and all that stuff, I just don't trust it for a thru hike. It works fine at home where it can be replaced immediately, and if it breaks you have other ways to hang. If Cannibal or my system fails we are stuck on the ground until it can be replaced. Our hammocks will be used every night for almost 6 months. They will be frozen, cooked in the sun possibly, and used and abused constantly. I just don't want to risk ending my hike over a fall injury just to save a couple of ounces.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-17-2007 at 19:23.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    For me, it is about the devices having an adverse effect on the webbing/robe/whatever. I also know I am being overly cautious, but if it helps me sleep better at night then that's OK by me.

Like I said before, if I had more time to play with them and gain confidence, maybe. However, my schedule between now and departure is getting compressed like crazy and I just don't have that many more days of trail testing left; sucks! I'm still sweating my cold weather set-up (sweating, get it? ). I'm going to have a very small window to prepare myself for cold in a hammock and will probably have to learn way too much of it while on the Trail. I'm not going to distract myself with an alternative to something I know works for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the hammock breaks, you should be ok (ground sleeping wise)
    Nope, no way, not gonna happen, not a chance I'm sleeping on the ground. Besides, you made my hammock. Who do you think I'm calling if that sucker dumps me on the ground?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast