Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinasbackpacker View Post
    I can see it now, Those hikers would have probabaly been thinking... What's he been smoking. We we fortunate that there was no one around or else I don't think we could have pulled it of either. I took everything I had no to die laughing. I think you can hear me trying to hold it back on the video.
    Hey, we did Hawksbill, then you and your brother did Hawksbill. Then, y'all did Conley and we did Conley the next week. Seems we're following each other around. Where should we go next?

Salty

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Land View Post
    Great trip report, Salty!

It's awesome to see a father and sons having so much fun together.

Chris
    Thanks, Chris. I love to cut-up with them. My dad was a fire and brimstone preacher, and was very strict and serious. But, my grandpa (called him Pa Pa) loved to rough-house and play with my cousins and me, so when it came time to decide how to raise 'em, I went for the one that I enjoyed the most. Baaaa Baaaa. Baaaa Baaaaa. What's that sound? Oh yeah, that's the black sheep in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I'm liking that dad of yours more and more! Be sure to listen to him ... sounds like a pretty smart feller!
    Hawk-eye, I wish I could take credit for my sons' good behavior, but I guess my wife and I won the lottery in a hammock, because they have always been really good kids with very little "ridgeline adjustment" needed. They mind, they're very respectful and polite, and Fisher is way more serious than I am in a hammock. He always wants to do the right thing and follow the rules in a hammock. I guess you can tell I'm proud of them. It's enough to make me want to say "whoooppppie....sling". Well, it's probably bad form to brag on your own kids in a hammock, so that's all I got to say about that.

Salty

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Looks like y'all had a blast! Great video and the best dangling snot rocket in the history of mankind. Since y'all are just up the road, give me a yell sometime, if'n ya want to get some trail time and stretch your legs little. Always up for a hike and hang.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Looks like y'all had a blast! Great video and the best dangling snot rocket in the history of mankind. Since y'all are just up the road, give me a yell sometime, if'n ya want to get some trail time and stretch your legs little. Always up for a hike and hang.
    Howdy Hooch. Thank-ya on the video. We'll do that. I don't know if I can make it this year to the Hot Springs hang, but I really want to explore that area some. My ancestors on my dad's side were German immigrants who settled in Marshall, and two out of three of the brothers were killed in a train accident in Hot Springs, so I keep feeling a tug to check out Hot Springs and that general area. I've only driven through Hot Springs once. If not at the Hot Springs hang, hopefully we'll cross paths another time. You're coming to the Oct Linville Gorge hang, aren't you? I'll be there and my kids will probably come up and join me on the weekend while my wifey shops in Blowing Rock.

Salty

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Howdy Hooch. Thank-ya on the video. We'll do that. I don't know if I can make it this year to the Hot Springs hang, but I really want to explore that area some. My ancestors on my dad's side were German immigrants who settled in Marshall, and two out of three of the brothers were killed in a train accident in Hot Springs, so I keep feeling a tug to check out Hot Springs and that general area. I've only driven through Hot Springs once. If not at the Hot Springs hang, hopefully we'll cross paths another time. You're coming to the Oct Linville Gorge hang, aren't you? I'll be there and my kids will probably come up and join me on the weekend while my wifey shops in Blowing Rock.

Salty
    Yup, planning on being there. Looking forward to meeting you. If you ever feel the urge for a day hike over at Crowder's, let me know. I'm there pretty regularly.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Yup, planning on being there. Looking forward to meeting you. If you ever feel the urge for a day hike over at Crowder's, let me know. I'm there pretty regularly.
    Sounds good. I used to hike there a lot...when I was young and free. I took my boys on a secret off-trail exploration a month or so ago. Do you know about the cave on Crowders? After we visited the cave, we went straight up the side of the mountain. We encountered a lot of areas that required rock climbing, had to go over and under charred dead-falls, hiked up loose ground that gave way under our feet, and ran through so much greenbriar, I thought we would have to turn back a few times. When we reached the top, we looked like we had been in a fight with a coal shoveler on a steam engine....covered in soot and scratches. They liked it, and I knew then that they would be up for the gorge trip.

When we were at Hawksbill, we ran into two rock climbers that were coming back from a climb. They said they got their start at Crowders Mtn and then graduated to hanging in the gorge. I don't rock climb, but I bet the views are amazing.

BTW, my office is in Charlotte. It's just off I-77 at Arrowood Rd. It's where you see the waterfall sculpture from the interstate. We used to have a waterfall in our office...the entire back wall, but it was too loud. We couldn't hear to work.

See ya,
    Salty

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    BTW, my office is in Charlotte. It's just off I-77 at Arrowood Rd.
    Interesting coincidence, I live less than 2 miles from where you work. Small world!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Interesting coincidence, I live less than 2 miles from where you work. Small world!
    Cool.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456