Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images

The Mysterious Drive to "Upgrade"

I was chatting on the phone earlier with my step-brother. He is intrigued by my hammock camping and has been reading these here forums. During our conversation, I said, "Well, I will most likely eventually be upgrading to a WBBB [from my ENO DN with a WB Bug Net (when it arrives)]." He said, "Why? What would be significantly better about the WB setup that would justify the expense?" Well, I mentioned the shelf, and this inexplicable feeling that the WBBB footbox would make for a flatter lay...and that the integrated bug net makes it easier...but I don't really know. What is it about the WBBB or any other option that makes it "better"? Or am I just a victim of gear lust???
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    You say that like it's a problem...
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Gear lust tends to be heightened the more you hang out in a forum. We are all bad influences on each other.

Hammock
    nano hammock w/ridge
    Tarp
    wb spinn edge
    Insulation
    yeti & jrb torso
    Suspension
    whoopie
    ah, so its called gear lust. i fantasize about the big future hike, say, in five years when i might have more time, and then realize that there isn't a single piece of equipment that i currently have that i'd still be using in five years. ok. let's be honest. in three years. did anyone say two? what comes after cuben?

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    what comes after cuben?
    Clearly the use of the dark side of the force.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I love the Warbonnet Traveler, but I don't have one. I love my Speer, especially since I have a Vintage Speer SnugFit. After making a hammock of my own, I am not certain if I will ever buy another. However, I upgrade, er, collect, wood stoves on a regular basis!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Little of this, little of that.

Gear lust is certainly a factor, but I honestly find my Blackbirds more comfortable than my ENOs. I really like my ENOs and the like, but the Birds sure seem to have a more flat lie/lay (which is proper anyway?) than I can get in my ENOs. The integrated bug netting is also nice. The double layer is very convenient if you are a pad user. The netting and double layer can be found on plenty of other hammocks, but none approach the comfort level I experience in my WBBBs. Still, neither are unique and comfort is relative to the user, so a WBBB may not be the best fit for everybody. I think it is for most, but not all.

Then there's the shelf. Ah geez, I really do love that shelf. I've tried to be 'cool' about it, but I just love that thing.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dvisic View Post
    ............ What is it about the WBBB or any other option that makes it "better"? Or am I just a victim of gear lust???
    Most likely! I slept with amazing comfort and staid warm and dry into the 30s and high 40s, on two different week long trips in the northern Rockies and WA Olympics, with my very 1st set up. Which was an HH Explorer with Super Shelter.

But I ended up owning numerous other hammocks, insulation systems and tarps. There was nothing practical about any of this. I'm sure I was always hoping to find something a little better and whatever was "the best". But really, I was so happy and comfy with that first set up, how much more can you improve on that? I liked some things about each new set up better than the one I started with. But the truth is I could have been perfectly happy if that was the only available set up, even if one of the other set ups was a little better in one area or another.

The truth is, I just like playing with this gear, testing it and experimenting and using different gear on different trips. And, this is a relatively low cost addiction, compared to some I have had or could have. And I have the excuse that my grandsons will get some of it soon, I have loaners for friends, and I would sell stuff when I found better. Truth is, I have sold a couple of items, but I still have the majority of hammock gear which I have bought.

There are people who sleep like a log for 12 hours in an ENO hammock, as there are in many other hammocks. If you are in that group, really what practical reason is there for you to upgrade? If you sleep straight through a long night and wake up feeling great, how much better are you going to do?

Which is not to say you shouldn't upgrade. Just because you want to, just for fun. And who knows, you might find one that is a tad more comfy, or a system that you just plain like better for one or more reasons. In the mean time, you can be having fun on your quest!

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    "Gear Lust" sounds, well....

In another forum we had a similar thing called 'GAS' -- guitar acquisition syndrome. (Same problem, different gear).

Generalize 'GAS' as 'gear acquisition syndrome'? Then it could apply to hammocks, cameras, kayaks, pointy things...
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    ...archery, sewing, gardening, calligraphy....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast