HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch

Hand held thread injectors?

Are the projects discussed here (hammocks, quilts, etc.) simple enough to do with a simple hand held machine? Has anyone ever used one of the cheap hand-held Singers they sell at Wal-mart? If those are functional for making easy cheapo gear, I may have space and money to give it a try. Any experience with these?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    You'd be better off sewing by hand. The Stitch Witch I played with once, was like wrestling a rabid squirrel...

It was fun to watch, I'm sure...

Ok, maybe it wasn't all that bad, but it certainly wasn't worth the $15 price tag... (I got this one for free...)

Check estate sales... you can often score an antique that would out live any of us, and operates reasonably well... Also check with friends... there are an amazing number of machines collecting dust that you can probably have for free... (never borrow one, you never know when they're going to break.)

The die-hards here will tell you to go to a local Sewing store and buy a used one. It's cheaper and more reliable than buying an unknown and having to get it tuned up or fixed... That said, I paid $26 for my modern Brother machine, and it works like new...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The hand held jobbies are not really thread injectors in my opinion. The vast majority I have seen form a chain stitch. This is the kind of stitch sometimes used to stitch seal dog and cat food bags. If you grab a loose end and pull the whole line will release and everything comes apart. Break a stitch and you can watch the seam zip undone.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Exped Synmat 7
    Suspension
    Rings/garda hitch
    That is kind of what I thought... The problem is I don't really have any space to keep a regular sized machine (at least the ones I'm familiar with) in my current residence. I may be here for a few more years, and I know I won't be able to resist the DIY bug until then...time to start looking at making space, I guess!

Thanks for the feedback! Any suggestions for a very compact, cheap and easy to learn on machine?

Thread injector? You guys can wear kilts but cannot call them sewing machines. You guys must not be getting enough oxygen up there in your hammocks.

Anywho. From my personal research, the general consensus is yes, they're decent. But they're lightweight so they like to dance around your table.
    "For the Glory of All, The Light Shines on".

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Certainly you can find the space to store a portable table top machine. You can use your kitchen table to sew on. When your done pick it up and put it in a corner of the closet.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Keep your eye out for a Singer model 99 or 192, also known as the Spartan. They are the same machine. They are 3/4 size machines, very small, but wonderful stitchers. They are as heavy as tanks, so the art quilters avoid them somewhat, opting for the 221 "feather weight" model. Because the 99 is not as popular, they can be had cheaper. The 192 can be had for even less, because it is a no frills version of the 99.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Keep your eye out for a Singer model 99 or 192, also known as the Spartan.
    i've got a Singer 192k Spartan, built in 1964. Great machine. I got it for $25.00.

Last edited by PapaSmurf; 08-21-2010 at 19:24. Reason: Added image

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Light View Post
    You guys can wear kilts but cannot call them sewing machines.
    It never occurred to me to call my kilt a sewing machine... is that a side effect of too much oxygen?

Regarding handheld thread injectors... until two years ago, I did all my thread injecting with a needle and palm. 40 years of canvas and dacron sail repair, large sailor's duffles, ditty bags, whippings, lots of mending of clothing. Now I do everything with the polymer fiber injector.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts