Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Images

Question I have a question about sag.

After playing with my tarp and hammock this afternoon I realized that if I get the hammock high enough that my but doesn't hit the ground when I get in and then hang my tarp so that it's laying on my hammock my tarp ends up a couple feet above my head when I lay down. This puts my head and feet below the edge of the tarp. I've only spent a total of about 4 hours in my hammock. Is my gear still new enough it's stretching or am I doing something wrong. I am hanging the tarp below the hammock on the tree. Also I have the cord to put on a ridge line but haven't got to it yet. Will a ridge line help me hang closer to my tarp. I'm an extra large hanger and I have the ENO doublenest with a Sportsmans Guide 9x9.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I have set-up my Trek Light Double (same as your ENO) under a SG 9x9 and had similar results, but not quite as extreme. If you really tuck it up tight then it's a pain to get in and out of the hammock. But, are you really as exposed as you think you are? Have someone else lay in the hammock and look at it from outside. There is more coverage there than it looks. I made it thru a decent rain in that set-up and didn't get wet at all. The rain wasn't blowing sideways or anything, but it was not straight down either. I'd be leary in a real storm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Also, are you laying on the diagonal or down the middle? Down the middle will put your butt closer to the ground; diagonal spreads the load across the fabric and has a 'lifting' effect.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I have set-up my Trek Light Double (same as your ENO) under a SG 9x9 and had similar results, but not quite as extreme. If you really tuck it up tight then it's a pain to get in and out of the hammock. ...........

And that may be the only true advantage of bottom entry.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    True enough.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Images
    It may not be as extreme as it seems to me. We are pretty much in a drought and haven't had much more than a light mist in two months. The one heavy rain we had I was at work so I haven't really been able to test it in a real rain. I have tended to lay straight down the center so I may give laying diagonal a try and see if I get a little more "lift".

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_rat View Post
    After playing with my tarp and hammock this afternoon I realized that if I get the hammock high enough that my but doesn't hit the ground when I get in and then hang my tarp so that it's laying on my hammock my tarp ends up a couple feet above my head when I lay down. This puts my head and feet below the edge of the tarp. I've only spent a total of about 4 hours in my hammock. Is my gear still new enough it's stretching or am I doing something wrong. I am hanging the tarp below the hammock on the tree. Also I have the cord to put on a ridge line but haven't got to it yet. Will a ridge line help me hang closer to my tarp. I'm an extra large hanger and I have the ENO doublenest with a Sportsmans Guide 9x9.

RR, see my thread on sag and original HH directions. It might speak to the problem you are experiencing, though YMMV.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2126

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    RR, my first question would be what are you using as suspension for your ENO? I use an ENO DoubleNest as well with ring buckles and 1" polyester webbing from the nice folks at StrapWorks. My guess is that you're using something that stretches like a mutha, but I could be wrong. Polyester webbing is super strong and has almost no stretch to it. It sure beats the crap out of the nylon ENO SlapStraps I was using (And anyone should avoid if they can). Get that ridgeline on your hammock when you can, I added one to my hammock recently and it's made all the difference.
    Last edited by Hooch; 10-20-2007 at 07:46.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Sorry, Rock Rat, I thought you were talking about a stock HH with asym fly. I see now it is an ENO/SG. Excuse my error. Although, the problem of exposure to rain after hammock sag (with the tarp tied to the trees) is the same.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    what is the distance between the two trees?
    what kind of rope/webbing are you using?
    how are you tieing it to the trees (knot, rings, buckles)?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast