Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    How easy for you is it to open the net and get out with the hook there? I keep thinking of trying it, but I also picture myself at 0200 trying to get out in a hurry for nature and unable to get the hook out of the way.
    Not bad really. I find it a little easier to reach up with one hand than using both hands above my head. Question is: Can it be successfully unclipped while you are in a sleepy fog with a full bladder? Haven't had the chance to try that yet.

Maybe someone can post their experiences after they've tried it. Maybe the post would be titled "How do I get the urine smell out of my down underquilt?"

Getting in is great. Just snap the hook and gently pull on the drawstring. The net is guided up into position and cinches around the head end. The hook also keeps the net in place even if you don't get the drawstring cinched exactly right.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I'm going to go out and try one.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

Early test results.

I just heard back from someone that was testing a smaller version of the BugSock. This particular version was approx 40-42" in depth made from 54" wide Tulle. They were using it with a WB Traveler.

Net tore on the 3rd night of use. It was at night so it's not really possible to determine exactly what happened.

The tester also stated that they felt that there was not enough extra room between the hammock and BugSock.

The tester also stated "I would like the sock to fit over my hammock plus underquilt and still have a lot of space in underneath. This will add weight but I'll just have to deal with it."

I really think that the net needs to be 48" to 53" deep for most hangers. I'm working on a 53" deep version for someone with a WB Traveler. I'll post the weight and my results soon as I can. I'll also ask this person to report back their experiences.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Sounds good. My hammock is sort of "shallow"
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One of my earlier versions compressed the UQ b/c it was so small. It worked ok if I didn't put the ridgeline inside, but let it only go around the hammock instead. If someone wanted to save weight, that might still be workable if you put a little loop on top of the sock over the head, and ran some cord from that to the ridgeline. It would keep the sock's circumference smaller but still keep the net off your face.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    If someone wanted to save weight, that might still be workable if you put a little loop on top of the sock over the head, and ran some cord from that to the ridgeline. It would keep the sock's circumference smaller but still keep the net off your face.
    Good suggestion for those who still want a lightweight option, but have a larger hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    DIY MacCat Clone
    Insulation
    NF Hotlum 15* Bag
    Suspension
    Straps/CinchBuckle
    Very nice, I might have to make one like this. My first bug sock is very similar--it hangs tight agains the hammock body the ridgeline. I had to make the circumference of the tube bigger than originally planned, because getting a good diagonal lay was difficult with such a tight netting.

Perhaps try snipping off the piece of plastic that "closes" the mitten hook. This would make it easier to unhook when ready to get out, just pull off the hammock suspension and loosen the cord-lock. I use a microbiner with the metal gate pulled off to easily hook and unhook and it works great. I don't know if snipping off that piece of plastic would make the mitten hook any less strong though.

chicky

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
    Perhaps try snipping off the piece of plastic that "closes" the mitten hook. This would make it easier to unhook when ready to get out, just pull off the hammock suspension and loosen the cord-lock. I use a microbiner with the metal gate pulled off to easily hook and unhook and it works great. I don't know if snipping off that piece of plastic would make the mitten hook any less strong though.
    chicky
    Great idea. I'll try snipping tonight. I can't imagine that strength would be affected. Can't be that much stress on the hook anyway.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY Fully Enclosed
    Insulation
    DIY PeaPod
    Suspension
    ENO Pro Slap Strap
    Was checking out the tulle direct site. I think I'll upgrade to the "Glitter Sparkle" tulle. I mean, choices being equal, why wouldn't I want to look fabulous in the woods?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    DIY MacCat Clone
    Insulation
    NF Hotlum 15* Bag
    Suspension
    Straps/CinchBuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Great idea. I'll try snipping tonight. I can't imagine that strength would be affected. Can't be that much stress on the hook anyway.
    There was a fair amount of pull on my microbiner, but that was mainly when shifting around and I happened to make the tube too short. I really should make a better one--so many problems on my first one. But you're right, probably little to no stress on the mitten hook if the bugsock is the correct length. You shouldn't have any problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast