Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

VIDEO: Manistee River, Michigan

We did a 10 mile hike, then paddled back to the cars. Fun, but Hot.

Enjoy!
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Great video. I noticed the tents, did you get any converts to the hammock world?
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Veto 65 View Post
    Great video. I noticed the tents, did you get any converts to the hammock world?
    I doubt it. I don't think they believed me when I told them how comfy I was.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Great Vid, I have three, three day and one five day trip on the Manistee yet this year. I can't wait. Mostly paddling, some backpacking.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Great vid thanks for posting it!
    Looks like it was a great time, sad no luck on a brookie, what was your set-up?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    I doubt it. I don't think they believed me when I told them how comfy I was.
    They must have not gave it a try.

Nice video as well looks like a fun trip, specially for some good ole fly fishing.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I was there on Saturday afternoon. I took the kids and my brother to the suspension bridge. We were planning to do some swinging on a rope swing that was there earlier this summer just down from the bridge at the bend but the trees to which it was attached had been cut down.

FYI-
    The site you set up camp on is not a legal site. Unless it's a designated site you are required to be 200' from the trail and 200' from water. Also there was a lot of recent damage done there. I hope it wasn't you guys. There were trees cut/knocked down and there was a beautiful healthy pine, maybe 8" diameter, that someone chopped into a couple inches about 4' off the ground. Why oh why do people do that? There is plenty of down trees in that area for burning. There was also a nice pile of trash that someone had gone through the effort to collect and pile up including 2 six packs of hard lemon aid, we did carry all that out. When we got there 2 hikers were packing up, they said they had been told it wasn't a legal site and that they had to move on. I asked if they got a ticket or citation, they said no. I'm not sure who told them. It may have been them that inflicted the damage because there was a nice pile of cut up wood and they had already built a big fire (but not lit it). They had massive packs.
    Last edited by jeepcachr; 08-23-2010 at 12:49.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I am guessing because of the problems, there has been a response. I have been running the Manistee for 20 years, averaging 20-30 days a year and have never had a problem or been told to move. I encountered DNR twice, and both times they were looking for folks who had trashed out areas. I was camped near the river and told them the sites were established and I did not want to break a new site and at least on those occasions they understood. I had permits and there was no problem.

I run the upper stretch, upstream of Hodenpyle, and I think there is significantly less use there. I too have encountered trees cut and trash. I clean up as best I can, always hauling stuff out. I do believe though, that since I have been running the river and keeping it clean there is less trash. If people find it clean they are more likely to keep it clean.

We have to be good stewards and set an example for others. It is always discouraging to find our public lands abused.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    When we got there someone had chopped down a beautiful cedar tree and just left it there. That's the tree you see my cousin processing. We decided to use only that tree for everything. Such a waste with all the dead timber so close by.
    I took a piece of the cedar back with us and am in the middle of trying to make a knife handle out of it with a Mora #2 carbon. I have to say I'm failing though (first attempt).
    We always end up taking more out than we took in. It's sad, but that's life. It is a very clean trail compared to some I've been on.
    As far as that being an "illegal campsite", I don't have much to say. The campsite is already there, and I don't see the benefit of creating a new campsite 200' farther back. Sometimes I'm a rule breaker I guess. I can tell you one thing for sure: I have contributed more to the Manistee River Trail than I have taken away.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    When we got there someone had chopped down a beautiful cedar tree and just left it there. That's the tree you see my cousin processing. We decided to use only that tree for everything. Such a waste with all the dead timber so close by.
    I took a piece of the cedar back with us and am in the middle of trying to make a knife handle out of it with a Mora #2 carbon. I have to say I'm failing though (first attempt).
    We always end up taking more out than we took in. It's sad, but that's life. It is a very clean trail compared to some I've been on.
    As far as that being an "illegal campsite", I don't have much to say. The campsite is already there, and I don't see the benefit of creating a new campsite 200' farther back. Sometimes I'm a rule breaker I guess. I can tell you one thing for sure: I have contributed more to the Manistee River Trail than I have taken away.

Arson, thanks for your contribution to the Manistee, legal or not, you made it better. I am with you. You ROCK!!

David

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast