DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use 1.75mm Zing-it for just about everything.
    My logic is that it's strong enough for any task (other than holding the hammock).
    I know it's overkill for most tasks, but I haven't found anything lighter and morre tangle free. Also, I stealth camp so I don't like the "beacon on the hill" aspect of Triptease, but the yellow Zing-it keeps me from killing myself while stumbling over my lines.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY homebrew
    Have to admit I haven't tried the "its" yet. I'm a rope and string nut, nearly as bad as my sailor knotwork son, so probably will.

However, I like triptease because I kayak more than backpack, and after walking a beach in the dark, need to be able to find my camp. I can either hang my PFD with the reflective panels on a tree, or use triptease.

It takes a couple extra turns on a prussic, as mentioned.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    Subscribing to this thread... I've been using cheap 1/8" polyester cord from Home Depot for ridgeline and tarp tie-outs. Imagine the weight and bulk savings going to a 1/16" cord like Lash-it is pretty significant and worth the investment?

Just looking at some online specs. Triptease has a Dyneema core, is 3mm diameter (real close to 1/8" according to my math), weighs 1 ounce for 50' length, and has a break strength of 188 lbs. It's also highly reflective.

The 1/16" lash-it is barely lighter at .96 ounces for 50', is made of Dyneema, and Samson lists "average strength" of 500 lbs!

I think the poly cord I use has a break strength advertised around 300 lbs but weighs a lot more than these other cords, probably something like 4 ounces for 50 feet.
    Interesting. I have some 2 mm cord that was sold as Kelty triptease with a core. Going to use it for prussics on some 1/8 in for a tarp ridge line. After watching the thread about tree huggers I'm thinking large tarp lines do less damage.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Speaking only from my personal experience - I have had an issue with Kelty Triptease not being very abrasion resistant. After a few trips and a few turns around the tarp stake or tree, the Kelty TT line show very noticable wear and I have even had some lines cut completely in two. YMMV
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Been using Triptease on my corner tie-outs for a couple years. Original set of line hasn't been replaced and still going strong. As mentioned prussics hold very well since the sheath is a bit abrasive. I like the Speer No Tangle line as well and have it on my CRL.

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles

cost

by the foot zing it is cheaper. you have to buy the 180 foot hank yes but I think most of us can admit that we tinker enough that we would like to have different kinds of cord on hand. I have several versions of just 550 cord laying about. even after 7 or 8 bucks in shipping the zing it is cheaper than the trip tease or amsteel. Though if you get it from Arrow Head Amsteel is about the same price or maybe even a little cheaper than Trip Tease. While not the beacon of light that reflective line is I find that orange and yellow 550 chord pops pretty well.
    Last edited by Alanvalentinus; 02-18-2012 at 17:33.

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles

reflective line

the idea of being able to hide your camp is cool and all but practicly speaking unless you are camping someplace your not supposed to it seems more a courtesy than a need, a courtesy I practice by the by. It could be that a reflective ridge line would be against this courtesy. But how about guy lines? you have to be relatively close to a camp site to see any guy lines with them so low to the ground. I camp where ever I can and often with others and quite often with others that are a bit tipsy. While I have never seen any injuries i have seen more than one wobbly wanderer face plant from invisible black guy lines. I have even stumbled and tripped a bit on lines when I Wasnt drinking, I havent fallen yet and I dont intend to, so I think visible guy lines are the way to go. Im allot more likely to fall over the guy lines than to have them seen by the enemy or the fuzz.

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles

Nite Ize

Does any body know what the weight strength is of Nite Ize reflective line? I have used the reflective line and figure nine sets for the guy lines of my tarps with great success so far. Might work for a ridge line if someone is so inclined its about the same price as ZingIt. Its a little invisible in the day time with the green color but that might be appealing to some.

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles

Mason line

On backpacking light, braided #18 mason line is all the rage for guy lines. 500 ft bright colors wont stretch 8 dollars. think it would work for a tarp ridgeline?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    What is not to like about this? 50ft (15m) Glowire for $10 from Lawson.
    • That's a delivered price,
    • It is sheathed, so it hold knots well
    • It is sheathed, so there's an outer layer for being gripped by teeth or for a prusik to grip on
    • strength is fine for this purpose
    • polyester and dyneema, so no stretch or water absorption
    • until tomorrow, it is even 20% off with "winter20" coupon code
    Last edited by DemostiX; 02-18-2012 at 20:30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast