Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

Zing-it vs Kelty Triptease vs lash-it vs ???

Anyone care to comment on pros or cons of various ridgeline materials?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Zing it and Lash it are the same cord different names, dont know about the kelty trip tease but have heard good things about it. The thing I like about the lash/zing it are that they are a bit more stiffer then other ropes meaning IMHO they tangle less and are easier to untangle if they get tangled up.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Kelty Triptease is a sheath-over-core construction. It's strong, very little stretch, great visibility (from the reflective material in the sheath) and a bit bigger than 2.2 mm Lashit. Splicing it would be a problem because of the core construction.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Subscribing to this thread... I've been using cheap 1/8" polyester cord from Home Depot for ridgeline and tarp tie-outs. Imagine the weight and bulk savings going to a 1/16" cord like Lash-it is pretty significant and worth the investment?

Just looking at some online specs. Triptease has a Dyneema core, is 3mm diameter (real close to 1/8" according to my math), weighs 1 ounce for 50' length, and has a break strength of 188 lbs. It's also highly reflective.

The 1/16" lash-it is barely lighter at .96 ounces for 50', is made of Dyneema, and Samson lists "average strength" of 500 lbs!

I think the poly cord I use has a break strength advertised around 300 lbs but weighs a lot more than these other cords, probably something like 4 ounces for 50 feet.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I use ONLY Kelty Triptease on all my tarp ridgelines and guyouts.

For its weight (1oz/50'), strength and reflectiveness it can't be beat IMHO

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Triptease is good but lights up like a disco and takes away any stealthiness.
    I keep one tiny piece on my tarp to find it after my romps through the forest in the blackness of night.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz ripstop (channel end)
    Tarp
    DIY McCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + 32deg bag
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetruck View Post
    Anyone care to comment on pros or cons of various ridgeline materials?
    I think it depends on what type of ridge line you have. As I understand it a "structural" ridge line goes from tree to tree and the hammock hangs off of that. IMO neither of the materials you mentioned would be a good choice for this. A "non-structural" ridge line is used to define the sag of your hammock, hang small items for easy reach, and keep your bug-net off your face. It does not support your weight. Either of the materials you mention would work for a non-structural ridge line. Really any sort of twine could be used. I used mason's twine with mitten hooks on either end for one of my hammocks and it works fine. One factor is stretch. As you tighten the hammock the ridge line tends to stretch. The less stretch the better because you'll get a more consistent hang/sag. The mason's twine stretches a lot. Now I use some fine gage cord I got at ACME surplus. I think it might have been for window shades. It doesn't stretch much at all.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by skistrees View Post
    I think it depends on what type of ridge line you have. As I understand it a "structural" ridge line goes from tree to tree and the hammock hangs off of that. IMO neither of the materials you mentioned would be a good choice for this. A "non-structural" ridge line is used to define the sag of your hammock, hang small items for easy reach, and keep your bug-net off your face. It does not support your weight. Either of the materials you mention would work for a non-structural ridge line. Really any sort of twine could be used. I used mason's twine with mitten hooks on either end for one of my hammocks and it works fine. One factor is stretch. As you tighten the hammock the ridge line tends to stretch. The less stretch the better because you'll get a more consistent hang/sag. The mason's twine stretches a lot. Now I use some fine gage cord I got at ACME surplus. I think it might have been for window shades. It doesn't stretch much at all.
    Looking back, I was indeed a bit vague when using the term "ridgeline." I'm mainly interested in hanging a tarp.

Keep the info coming, this is good stuff!

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    With the Zing-It, what cordage do you use to make a prussic that will hold on such a small line? I recently got some from AHE, but I don't know how to replace my paracord setup because I need prussics.
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    With the Zing-It, what cordage do you use to make a prussic that will hold on such a small line? I recently got some from AHE, but I don't know how to replace my paracord setup because I need prussics.
    I used the same Zing It...but it takes at least 4 loops in the Prusik to hold.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast