glue/cement for seams?

Hi, all

I want to make some simple stuff like a pad extender, some stuff sacks and that sort of non critical stuff

I don't have a sewing machine and can't justify buying one. Is there any sort of glue or cement that could be used to make the seams?

I was looking at the seams of a self inflating pad, and it looks to be a glued joint, or would it more likely be ultrasonically welded?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    I don't have a sewing machine and can't justify buying one.
    I remember those days, then someone told me to look in the Thrift Shops. $10 later I had a sewing machine.

I don't know of any glue, but someone is bound to chime in with something. Until then...look in the Thrift Shops.

Images
    There's really no universal substitute for sewing...

Used machines can be had at decent prices.

Barring that for SOME fabrics there are some adhesive transfer tapes that might work not too badly... But they are expensive... See the C3 tape at sailrite.com as an idea...

You'd pay for the sewing machine pretty fast, if you think you're going to do much in the way of seams.

Frog, look and ask around for the local sewing machine repair guy near where you live. He's usually an elderly retired machinist/tool & die type. These guys often have machines for sale that people abandoned after he repaired them.

Tnx for the responses.

Actually, I have a sewing machine that I'm pretty sure needs some adjustment or repair. According to my ex, something about the thread tension.

How hard is it to learn to use one? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I'd be learning strictly on my own.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The first few times you use it you'll feel as inept as you ever have. Start with some stuff sacks and before you know it, you'll have a dresser drawer full of stuff sacks and you'll be able to put down a decent line of stitching. It becomes kind of fun and BELIEVE ME, I never thought I'd say that!

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The first few times you use it you'll feel as inept as you ever have. Start with some stuff sacks and before you know it, you'll have a dresser drawer full of stuff sacks and you'll be able to put down a decent line of stitching. It becomes kind of fun and BELIEVE ME, I never thought I'd say that!
    Same here. I bought mine off Amazon for around $30. Not the top of the line I can promise you. Paid for itself very quickly. Shoot the loops I sewed in my webbing would have cost near that if taken to a seamstress.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I love it when people are amazed I can sew. It is really easy and basically common sense. To make backpacking gear and hammocks you only need 2 stitches; straight and zigzag. The only adjustments you need to do is the length of stitch and in case of zigzag, the width. Anything you need to know can easily be learned on the internet and Wal-Mart’s $1.00 yard bin can give you all the practice cheaply.

Let me make a disclaimer; Gear making can be very addictive. It can cause you to lose interest in things you thought were important. You could spend countless nights thinking about gear hammocks and tarps. Some of the known side effects are;
    Cruising in every Wal-Mart fabric departments for 100 miles.
    Looking at clothing to analyze the seams.
    Little pieces of thread under your dinner table.
    Alcohol stoves everywhere.
    Decreased sexual activity.
    Spending more time making hiking gear than hiking.
    Hair loss
    Dizziness
    Countless stuffsacks

Until you know the effects you should not sew on alcohol. The very old, young and frail should consult a physician before and long strenuous sewing projects. If ripping out seams lasts for more than 4 hours consult your seamstress right away. Never make a Thong Hammock no matter how light it may be.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I love it when people are amazed I can sew. It is really easy and basically common sense. To make backpacking gear and hammocks you only need 2 stitches; straight and zigzag. The only adjustments you need to do is the length of stitch and in case of zigzag, the width. Anything you need to know can easily be learned on the internet and Wal-Mart’s $1.00 yard bin can give you all the practice cheaply.

Let me make a disclaimer; Gear making can be very addictive. It can cause you to lose interest in things you thought were important. You could spend countless nights thinking about gear hammocks and tarps. Some of the known side effects are;
    Cruising in every Wal-Mart fabric departments for 100 miles.
    Looking at clothing to analyze the seams.
    Little pieces of thread under your dinner table.
    Alcohol stoves everywhere.
    Decreased sexual activity.
    Spending more time making hiking gear than hiking.
    Hair loss
    Dizziness
    Countless stuffsacks

Until you know the effects you should not sew on alcohol. The very old, young and frail should consult a physician before and long strenuous sewing projects. If ripping out seams lasts for more than 4 hours consult your seamstress right away. Never make a Thong Hammock no matter how light it may be.
    LOL- Thanks, I'll keep all of that in mind..

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Never make a Thong Hammock no matter how light it may be.
    I agree, it's hard to stay centered all night, but it is easier to water the bushes...

• + New Posts