Mini LineLocks for Tarp Rigging?

Has anyone ever used something like these, the LiteLine Mini LineLocks? I was thinking you could permanently tie one end to a ridgeline tieout, and then wrap the other end around a tree and then through the LineLock. Don't tie the single overhand knot to stop the line from pulling through so you can quickly insert it and remove it when packing up or setting up. Seems easy and lightweight? Avoid the weight of Prussiks (miniscule, I know), S-biners, Nite-ize Knot Bones, Tensioners, etc.

These ones are also sized to use with a 1.5mm spectra line, which may be fractionally lighter than Zing-it etc (not sure though).

Check it out:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=93

I found an even lighter source of cord / locks. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/spectra_cord.shtml

Check out the 1.25mm spectra, as well as the accompanying Line Locks. At the listed weight on the website, at 10 ft. per tieout ... 20 ft. total, you should be able to get that portion of the tarp rigging down to ~.3 oz. Compared to .7 oz. for something like a 2 line tarp ridgeline from whoopieslings.com. Not bad if you're counting grams? And you don't have to deal with prussiks. I may have to try this method.

Also, should there be anything stopping me from using the 1.25 cord as a ridgeline on my hammock? Non-structural, just for adjusting sag.
    Last edited by ChrisKayler; 08-24-2010 at 01:42. Reason: Added link

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Have been using these on the tarp guylines and ridgeline. Quick, light, easy to adjust under cold, wet & windy conditions. Tie out lines are ~1.75mm, ridgeline are what JRB sells (? ~2mm).
    Noel V.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    I use the ones from Gossamer Gear on both ends of the ridgeline off of my tarp. I make sure to do a slippery half hitch behind them because I have foudn they let loose in windy conditions..

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    They are available in the HF store in two sizes.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Mini Line Locks on ridgeline.

I attach the locks differently than instructed by the manufacturer. On the ridgeline the lock is secured close to the tarp. An alpine butterfly with the lock in the loop. This keeps the line inline with the cleat teeth preventing the line from pulling out. Has never slipped. Has held in winds with gust in excess of 30mph.

On the tie outs different again. Allows for max length of lines to be almost the total length of the line and minimum to a couple inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKayler View Post
    Has anyone ever used something like these, the LiteLine Mini LineLocks? I was thinking you could permanently tie one end to a ridgeline tieout, and then wrap the other end around a tree and then through the LineLock. Don't tie the single overhand knot to stop the line from pulling through so you can quickly insert it and remove it when packing up or setting up. Seems easy and lightweight? Avoid the weight of Prussiks (miniscule, I know), S-biners, Nite-ize Knot Bones, Tensioners, etc.

These ones are also sized to use with a 1.5mm spectra line, which may be fractionally lighter than Zing-it etc (not sure though).

Check it out:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=93
    They mention they hold 75 pounds. I know that will be ok in most cases, but i have figure9s that are bent from tight pitch and wind. I would worry one may let go in a storm.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I bought a DIY tarp from a member and it has these on it. I wondered where they came from. They work great and seem to weigh nothing.

I have tightened the crap out of them in a storm (granted not in terrible wind) and never had them slip. I imagine they could though.

• + New Posts