Tarp
    Decathlon tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

New and always in need of help :-)

Well, I'm new, and when I look around, my set-up sure is lacking...

I mostly do one nighters, mostly due to lack of time, but truly enjoy when I get to go out.

My set-up currently is a 'bayer of maine' hammock, mine is actually called a 'mosquito hammock' but it is the same one that is sold under the bayer brand in the US. Cool hammock, tiny package, and so far I didn't fall through yet...

My tarp is something in dire need of change, but they are SO expensive I would like a tarp that can serve as a tarp in case it starts raining on a hike, just as a shelter. I thought about a diamond shape tarp from claytor hammocks, no clue if it is any good. But I can not decide on diamond vs rectangle either, oh how hard it is, feel free to share your opinion :-)

What else can I say, feel free to ask!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Welcome to HF! Glad to have you here!

/Wild
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursule View Post
    My tarp is something in dire need of change, but they are SO expensive
    What's your budget for a tarp?
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    So many variables! Every time I see posts like this I want to create a database-driven program that shows an idillic scene and selectors that let you choose any hammock, tarp, suspension, and insulation option to see the price point and a visual...kind of like those websites that allow you to spec out a new vehicle and customize it? I'd be happy to help with visuals if there was someone in the group who was a whiz at programming...
    That said, tarps (really good ones) can be expensive, but worth it. A Gear Guide tarp is probably the least expensive option out there if you're not too worried about weight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the forums. You are right tarps can and are expensive. IMO this is one of those cases. Where you get what you pay for. Selecting a tarp is a daunting task. Normally I would advice trying to hook up with other hangers in your area and look over / try out their tarps. But I see you are from Belgium and I am unsure if there are any hangers close to you. DIY is a good option depending of the availability of silnylon and of course having access to a thread injector. I have no experience with the Claytor tarps. Although at one time I had thought about getting one. They look to me to be a serviceable tarp. Perhaps someone here who has experience with them will chime in.
    Terry

Tarp
    Decathlon tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Widerstand View Post
    What's your budget for a tarp?
    Hard to say in Dollars as it keeps going nuts, but let's say about 50 EUR ? The budget could go much higher, but I really do not go camping like many of you, I almost exclusively camp during the summer months, and pretty much only overnighters over the weekend - so I don't think I can justify spending that much on a tarp.

I'm not pushing any product, but I had my eye on a claytor one (I had read here a while ago that their hammocks were quality), though can't figure out what shape I want for the heck of it, really can't make up my mind at all.. Making one myself is not an option, difficult to get the materials and even more difficult getting me to sow :-)

Tarp
    Decathlon tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Got myself a Decathlon tarp on the cheap, but am really liking this thing! The weight is OK, as long as you do not carry the poles they supply with them (WAY heavy). The material seems to be just fine, and the tarp is plenty big for me (3X3m), I'll be putting it up again tonight to give it another test.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    Great. let us know how it goes. I am a poor man from Nebraska still searching for a good tarp and a low price. My utility tarp isn't pretty or light but keeps the crud off which is my primary goal.

• + New Posts