Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Sunshine
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

WBBB vs Switchback

So, I've scoured the forums, read through pages and pages of info about both hammocks. I know that they are both well made, bomb proof, awesome hammocks ...

I also have read that many of you have or have had both hammocks, at some point in time. I'm hoping that there are a few brave souls out there willing to give their honest opinions about both hammocks. I'm not looking to start any fight, like I said I know both are great hammocks, and I am sure that I would not be going wrong with either of them. But for those that have had them both, what would your reasons be for taking one out over the other?

Maybe someone would like to comment on some of the initial review things about the Switchback such as ... Does it seem to stretch more? How about the placement of the tie outs? How does it seem to be holding up? How about the view? Can you see a lot more out of the switchback than the blackbird? Any other details that you'd like to share?

Maybe this direct comparison has been avoided on purpose, but I am hoping that those who have had experience with both hammocks, might be able to help me figure out where I spend this years hammock fund.

Thanks!
    At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.

– Robin Lee Graham

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryNomad View Post
    So, I've scoured the forums, read through pages and pages of info about both hammocks. I know that they are both well made, bomb proof, awesome hammocks ...

I also have read that many of you have or have had both hammocks, at some point in time. I'm hoping that there are a few brave souls out there willing to give their honest opinions about both hammocks. I'm not looking to start any fight, like I said I know both are great hammocks, and I am sure that I would not be going wrong with either of them. But for those that have had them both, what would your reasons be for taking one out over the other?

Maybe someone would like to comment on some of the initial review things about the Switchback such as ... Does it seem to stretch more? How about the placement of the tie outs? How does it seem to be holding up? How about the view? Can you see a lot more out of the switchback than the blackbird? Any other details that you'd like to share?

Maybe this direct comparison has been avoided on purpose, but I am hoping that those who have had experience with both hammocks, might be able to help me figure out where I spend this years hammock fund.

Thanks!
    I've had both. I kept my Blackbird because it is lighter, packs much smaller (less pack volume) and for me is much more comfortable.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Curious myself. Been looking at both of them.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    I like them both for different reasons. I can lay comfortably in both.
    Switchback:
    I like being able to reach out both sides of the switchback. I like being able to pull the net clear up out of the way. I can see more out the sides of the swithback. I can lay in any direction.

Blackbird:
    If you ever use the shelf your going to miss it on any other hammock. The BB packs up smaller and is lighter. I like the pull outs better on the BB in combination with the ridgeline they do a good job pulling the net up and away give a very spacious feeling.

I like them both and have a hard time deciding which one to take with me. If I could only keep one it would be a hard choice.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogg Tyed View Post
    I like them both for different reasons. I can lay comfortably in both.
    Switchback:
    I like being able to reach out both sides of the switchback. I like being able to pull the net clear up out of the way. I can see more out the sides of the swithback. I can lay in any direction.

Blackbird:
    If you ever use the shelf your going to miss it on any other hammock. The BB packs up smaller and is lighter. I like the pull outs better on the BB in combination with the ridgeline they do a good job pulling the net up and away give a very spacious feeling.

I like them both and have a hard time deciding which one to take with me. If I could only keep one it would be a hard choice.
    I concur with everything Hogg Tyed said. I could be happy with either. I like to lounge crossways in the Switchback with both zippers opened and the net tied up. I use the shelf in the BB for water bottle, headlamp, and other bedtime items. Kristen slept very well in the SB, and I in the BB for 6 nights on our rafting trip this summer. I think I will keep both of them.

Hammock
    PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Sunshine
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Does anyone have any comments about the stretch of the Switchback ? It's briefly mentioned in this earlier thread.
    At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.

– Robin Lee Graham

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    and don't forget the SwitchBack is PeaPod compatible.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    I did not experience stretch in either hammock. Both of mine are triple layer. When you get in things will kind of self center and and pull and tighten so I have to readjust, but after that I wake up where I started. The fabric doesn't stretch.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    I also have both. It's really just a coin toss as to which one I take on any given outing. I've experienced no stretch with either hammock. As you said in your first post, they are both quality, bomb-proof hammocks.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I also have read that many of you have or have had both hammocks, at some point in time.
    Guilty.

The stretch you are referring to in the linked thread is about his new suspension, not the hammock itself. The fabric doesn't stretch anymore than any other fabric. It's somewhat noticeable on any single layer hammock. I don't get quite as flat in my Switchback as I do my Birds, but that is more about the overall shape of the hammock IMO.

The tieouts are not in a bad place at all. They kind of straddle the land between WB placement and HH placement; closer to the WBs. I don't find them restricting in the least, in the hammock or getting into it. The Bird's shoulder tieout is sometimes a hassle when getting into the hammock, but it's a hassle I happily accept in exchange for the broad shoulder area it provides. I guess it's a toss-up; Switchback's tieouts don't get in the way, Blackbird's tieouts provide a wider pull on the fabric. IBM says "you make the call".

Both of these hammocks are very solid in their construction. I have one of the first Blackbirds and it gets very heavy use, still in perfect shape (other than the smell ). My Switchback only has about 50 or so nights on it at this point, so it's hard to say for sure. However, just by looking it over closely, it's easy to see the quality. I do have a wear spot in one of the end-channels that I'm keeping a close eye on right now. It showed-up right after I started using it, but hasn't seemed to get any worse. I think it's just cosmetic; which I couldn't care less about.

The view is owned by the Switchback in this comparison. In fact, the Switchback would handily beat most hammocks out there in this department. The view is stellar! I've slept in them all and none have the views the Switchback does IMO.

The Switchback really does have it all and is one of my favorite hammocks in the gear room. I do like the lay of my Blackbirds more. Enough that when you factor in the shelf, I take my Birds out more often than my Switchback. Still, if some kind of avian flu hits my gear room, I know I've got a solid reserve hammock to use.

Hope it helps.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast