View Poll Results: What length Tree Straps do you use?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 feet or less

36 19.35%
  • 6 feet

65 34.95%
  • 7 feet

16 8.60%
  • more thank 7 feet

69 37.10%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Agree with Bob.. been in the Adirondacks where there is one OLD tree that a 5' would barley get around and nothing close by except saplings. Mine are 12'. Never needed all of it yet but my canoe carries it most of the time anyway.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    10 ft for me. Darn kids always seem to get there first and claim the best trees.
    Wish I could hike faster.

My straps are just under 8'. The trees out here in the Pacific NW are ridiculously huge. Maybe that is how we got the nickname "treehuggers". Someone must have been seen trying to get straps around a tree and thought they were hugging it. :P

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    3 foot- It very rarely limits my trees. If I still used a Marlin spike hitch I would be at 6'. I try to find creative ways to have my whoopie sling make up any difference that the hugger can't handle.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    3 foot- It very rarely limits my trees. If I still used a Marlin spike hitch I would be at 6'. I try to find creative ways to have my whoopie sling make up any difference that the hugger can't handle.
    I kind of do the same thing Dutch is referring to I think. I use less 3-4 foot huggers and make up the difference with amsteel. Either from my whoopies or from a small piece I carry with me. Has always worked out so far...
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I kind of do the same thing Dutch is referring to I think. I use less 3-4 foot huggers and make up the difference with amsteel. Either from my whoopies or from a small piece I carry with me. Has always worked out so far...
    do you wraps the whoopies or amsteel around the tree as well. I have 6' tree huggers on my whoopie all in one and don't think I will really have a problem finding trees in the southeast but I am interested in this method.
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinasbackpacker View Post
    do you wraps the whoopies or amsteel around the tree as well. I have 6' tree huggers on my whoopie all in one and don't think I will really have a problem finding trees in the southeast but I am interested in this method.

Well, first of all, there are not very large trees in my neck of the woods. Or, if there are, I can almost always find some smaller ones.

If I find a very large tree, I position my tree huggers around the back and sides of the tree where most of the forces are going to be.

My tree huggers have loops sewn into them at both ends. The adjustable eye of my whoopie sling goes from my hammock though one of the sewn in loops on my tree hugger, then over to the OTHER sewn loop of my tree where I attach it with a Dutch Biner or Nacrabiner or soft shackle or marlin spike hitch. Sometimes I just put a BIGGER stick in the sewn in loop and put the whoopie sling around that.

It is a little trickier to adjust the whoopie since you will sometimes have the other sewn loop on the bury but it is not a big deal at all. If I am carrying my extra loop of Amsteel, I just larks head that to one of my sewn loops on the hugger to make it longer.

I am sure I have made this clear as mud but I am sure that one of these guys made a video describing what I am saying...

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Well, first of all, there are not very large trees in my neck of the woods. Or, if there are, I can almost always find some smaller ones.

If I find a very large tree, I position my tree huggers around the back and sides of the tree where most of the forces are going to be.

My tree huggers have loops sewn into them at both ends. The adjustable eye of my whoopie sling goes from my hammock though one of the sewn in loops on my tree hugger, then over to the OTHER sewn loop of my tree where I attach it with a Dutch Biner or Nacrabiner or soft shackle or marlin spike hitch. Sometimes I just put a BIGGER stick in the sewn in loop and put the whoopie sling around that.

It is a little trickier to adjust the whoopie since you will sometimes have the other sewn loop on the bury but it is not a big deal at all. If I am carrying my extra loop of Amsteel, I just larks head that to one of my sewn loops on the hugger to make it longer.

I am sure I have made this clear as mud but I am sure that one of these guys made a video describing what I am saying...

~Stormcrow
    Pretty muddy . Nah, I uderstand mostly, but I like you don't think I will really have problems finding trees here in the southeast. Most times I have to wrap the tree huggers a couple times to take up length.
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz ripstop (channel end)
    Tarp
    DIY McCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + 32deg bag
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel sling
    Images

3 for me

I have 3 DIY tree straps: 3' 4' and 6' with a two inch loop on each end. Normally here in the Northeast I'll travel with the 3 and 4. If I suspect bigger trees I'll go with the 4 and 6. If I know they'll be even bigger trees or am not concerned with weight, like when I'm paddling I'll take all three which will give me a 6 and 7.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    I have three sets...6ft. 12ft, and then the set that came with the WB.

I use the dutch clip method, and I make a SWAG at the size I will need before heading out, and then that is the set I take. I am always prepared to make an extension from Amsteel if need be.

If all that fails, I talk my trail buddy into sleeping on the ground, because I really need to hang more than he does.

But I don't believe this plan of action will work on Hangin' Burrito though... maybe he will trade for food.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast