Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    That's the GO TO site Tobit the one FF posted. Which is looking mighty spiffy since someone did some updating, might I add! Looking good JJ!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    That's the GO TO site Tobit the one FF posted. Which is looking mighty spiffy since someone did some updating, might I add! Looking good JJ!
    Yeah, very informative site.. I only wish the pics were a bit larger, they are like thumbnails at the resolution I run at on my flat panel.

- JT

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have some leftover 3mm Vectran rope from one of my sailboats when I lived in Californication. It has a 1900 lb. breaking strength and extremely low stretch. It also does not absorb water. I assume it'd be ok to use this line for my structural ridgeline? I'd also like to use it for my ring buckle connection to the hammock.

- JT

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Should work perfectly! JMO!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    I have some leftover 3mm Vectran rope from one of my sailboats when I lived in Californication. It has a 1900 lb. breaking strength and extremely low stretch. It also does not absorb water. I assume it'd be ok to use this line for my structural ridgeline? I'd also like to use it for my ring buckle connection to the hammock.

- JT
    Yeah, that would work great.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

What cord seems to work best with ridgelines? I am looking for something very light and reasonably inexpensive (an obvious oxymoron?)

Thanks.
    "Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new." Henry David Thoreau's Walden

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by therumpus View Post
    What cord seems to work best with ridgelines? I am looking for something very light and reasonably inexpensive (an obvious oxymoron?)
    I'm going to be using 3mm (1/8") NE Ropes V-12 Vectran. It has a high tensile strength (1900 lbs.), extremely low stretch, doesn't absorb water and rot and mildew resistant. It usually runs between 0.72 and 0.79/foot. Other folks use Spyderline which has similar qualities to Vectran but has a little bit more stretch compared to Vectran but it still has minimal stretch so it's moot. Spyderline is typically around 0.36/foot. Both are very lightweight.

You basically want something lightweight, won't absorb water, low stretch, and has a high tensile strength.

- JT

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I put a structural RL on my ENO Double and my DIY Claytor type hammocks and took them off. On my last campout four friends and I tried the DIY out with and without the ridge line and we all liked the feel of he hammock without it even with different settings of tightness using the Cinch buckles. It is just personal preference. The S RL limits the comfort for me to just one option, without it I can adjust for feeling good differently, by raising or lovering the tree huggers. Just me. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Just my thought on it but Isn't the only purpose of the structual ridge line to act as a guide so you just repeat that perfect hang everytime so it shouldn't really make it more or less comfortabel by removing it if it was set right? You set your hammock in the most comfortable hang and then set the structual ridge line to that length correct? Granted ridgelines are used for other things but all the others don't really require it to be a structual ridgeline. My guess would be if your hammock was more comfortable being hung with out the structual ridge line is that it hadn't been dialed in completely for your personal comfort yet. A ridge lines length isn't a one fits all it differs with each hanger. You can start with some one elses ridge line length to see how it works for you but my suggestion would be to hang your hammock with different amounts of sag and when you find the most comfortable hang spot tie your ridgeline so you can repeat that hang all the time. You may not get it just perfect at home you may find that one day on the trail you got the perfect hang and it was the most peaceful comfortable sleep you have ever had in just the right position. Even if you don't have the ridgeline on at that point to be able to repeat it take one of your guylines or bear bag rope and tie it up then so when you get home you can set it to just the perfect length. This is of course JMO!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    Just my thought on it but Isn't the only purpose of the structual ridge line to act as a guide so you just repeat that perfect hang everytime so it shouldn't really make it more or less comfortabel by removing it if it was set right? You set your hammock in the most comfortable hang and then set the structual ridge line to that length correct? Granted ridgelines are used for other things but all the others don't really require it to be a structual ridgeline. My guess would be if your hammock was more comfortable being hung with out the structual ridge line is that it hadn't been dialed in completely for your personal comfort yet. A ridge lines length isn't a one fits all it differs with each hanger. You can start with some one elses ridge line length to see how it works for you but my suggestion would be to hang your hammock with different amounts of sag and when you find the most comfortable hang spot tie your ridgeline so you can repeat that hang all the time. You may not get it just perfect at home you may find that one day on the trail you got the perfect hang and it was the most peaceful comfortable sleep you have ever had in just the right position. Even if you don't have the ridgeline on at that point to be able to repeat it take one of your guylines or bear bag rope and tie it up then so when you get home you can set it to just the perfect length. This is of course JMO!
    That sounds reasonable. I just can't seem to get a bad hang with it. Three weeks ago I was out in that rainy soggy Indiana weather. We went deep, down the side of the ridge to get out of the 30 MPH wind with 40 MPH gusts. My Claytor was hanging from one tree with the tree huggers as high as I could push them with my trek poles. The other side the tree huggers were almost on the ground and the distance between the trees was enormous compared to other times and I still slept great. It's hard to judge, isn't it? Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast