Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

ENO Structural Ridgeline

I had a question PM'd to me in regeard to how I attached the structural ridgeline to my ENO DoubleNest. It occured to me that I hadn't posted pics or made any discussion of it at all. First, let me that Cerberus for the Dyneema cord that I used for it. Thanks Cerberus! Secondly, the ridgeline has made all the difference in how comfortable I get in my hammock. When I put my hammock up on my back porch to chill out in or even sleep in, the posts are, to me, the perfect distance apart. So I thought it would be great if I could find trees that far apart when I camp. Of course, that isn't possible, but the next best thing was to construct a structural ridgeline keeping that distance in mind and using it as a guide. So, without further ado, here's the pics:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=1847&c=3

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=1848&c=3

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=1849&c=3

There ya have it, gang. So easy a caveman can do it. I think that Cerberus utilized a similar method to attach the ridgeline to his ENO as well. Correct me please if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Hooch; 10-20-2007 at 10:04.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    On my Treklight I clipped biners into the rings and ran a line from one biner to the other. It's pretty easy to attach a ridgeline, just figure out a way to attach it at both ends and if you aren't sure of the length, just make it adjustable. Of course, Hoooch's way is much cleaner, with the knots and all. Once I find my 'sweet spot' in the length I'll probably do what he has done.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

I'm a bit puzzled by one thing however - why is the ridge line doubled?

Images
    Mine is different. Like Shadowmoss said though, your ridgeline looks a lot cleaner. On mine I actually attached the black ENO line to the ridgeline, then extended the ridgeline out further. My buckles are tied to the ridgeline, so my entire system is held up by my ridgeline. I wouldn't suggest doing it with that Dyneema since it is only rated for 1400 lbs. My line is 2000 lbs. since it is holding all of the weight.

I really like yours though. The knots are clean and in good spots. Looks pretty professional. Do you have any plan for washing the hammock? I would be afraid the ridgeline would get tangled around the agitator and mess things up. That's one reason I made mine removeable. Now that I think about it though, just get one of those laundry bags like you used in boot camp. Toss the hammock in it and wash the whole thing in the bag.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    could take it to the laundry mat and throw it in a front loader, no agitator!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    could take it to the laundry mat and throw it in a front loader, no agitator!
    Yeah, I thought about that, but I figured Hooch would enjoy reliving some of his wonderful eperiences in South Carolina.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Yeah, I thought about that, but I figured Hooch would enjoy reliving some of his wonderful eperiences in South Carolina.
    As long as it doesn't involve sand fleas or "getting in the pit", then I'd be cool with that.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled by one thing however - why is the ridge line doubled?
    I doubled it over because I wasn't positive of the weight rating of the cordage when I put the ridgeline up. I though better safe than sorry in that regard. Now that I know what the strength rating of the cordage is, I'll probably take it down to a single line.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Mine is different. Like Shadowmoss said though, your ridgeline looks a lot cleaner. On mine I actually attached the black ENO line to the ridgeline, then extended the ridgeline out further. My buckles are tied to the ridgeline, so my entire system is held up by my ridgeline. I wouldn't suggest doing it with that Dyneema since it is only rated for 1400 lbs. My line is 2000 lbs. since it is holding all of the weight.

I really like yours though. The knots are clean and in good spots. Looks pretty professional. Do you have any plan for washing the hammock? I would be afraid the ridgeline would get tangled around the agitator and mess things up. That's one reason I made mine removeable. Now that I think about it though, just get one of those laundry bags like you used in boot camp. Toss the hammock in it and wash the whole thing in the bag.
    I can take the ridgeline off to wash the hammock, just stick a pencil or something in the middle of the knot as I remove it from the hammock. chances are, though, that if I wash it, I'll do it by hand. Of course the laundry bag option will work and bring back the fond old boot camp memories.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You're supposed to measure it?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge