Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    They are both different kinds of hammocks. I was glad to find the deep jungle because I can use the sleeping bags I already have without much trouble and at the same time have the benefits of a double layer and an included tarp system. I'll probably add the Yeti UQ at a later date. I really like that. None of the above precludes the possibility that I will get a Warbonnet in the future. I look forward to trying it out. And I can still use the yeti, right? But I have to agree with others that hammocking can get really expensive.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice job Rock!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Great review Rock! My wife is the same with the expedition. Said it was too small inside for her to feel comfortable. The DJ looks pretty roomy and I like what Tom came up with to hold in the pad. Pretty cool stuff!

Great review Sarge, thanks for doing it!! I haven't seen one in person yet, hope to one day!!!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Yes, it does speak to your concern of getting the unzipped bugnet out of the way. Plus, it also adds the ability to enter the hammock from either side.

I can vouch for the 2QZQ mod making the HH zip even better! The added mod makes it much more versatile.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think the reflectix needs an air pocket between the person & the pad in order to work properly. This is can be accomplished with a sleeping bag, pad, or anything else, but if you are laying directly on it I think it may actual conduct your heat away. I don't think a single layer of hammock bottom would be enough space to count, so even in the summer, the reflectix may seem cool. Not sure if you had anything under you, but if not, that may be why you got chilly sleeping on the reflecix pad alone. I vary the pad/SB combo I take according to the weather and have been comfy in all temps.
    I agree with you which is why I don't like reflectex as a pad. I've seen a few of them every year left at hiker boxes early on the AT from folks falling for the great R value they advertise. Years ago I had a link from an independent evaluator of insulations that stated just that: you must have an air barrier between the reflectex and the object being insulated or else it was a conductor of heat instead of an insulator. That site has been down for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Yes, it does speak to your concern of getting the unzipped bugnet out of the way. Plus, it also adds the ability to enter the hammock from either side.

On another note, you didn't mention anything about the massive #10 zipper used on the DJ. What are your thoughts about that? We've been quite pleased with the #5 coil YKK we use, it would appear Tom has gone to the extreme? Or just overly cautious now that he's gone to the dark side entering the zipper world.

He was quite adamant about the use of zippers when we presented to him 3 years ago what we wanted to do with his hammocks. I guess he's seen the light....or the profitability?
    The zipper may be bigger than needed, I haven't had a lot of experience with side zips at this point. The Hammock Bliss zipper is even bigger than the Hennessy. Years ago I talked to Tom about zippers and he said he considered them a probably point of failure he would like to avoid having. And I see his point. In my experience when a tent or sleeping bag goes bad, the zipper is usually the first thing to go. I imagine going with a bigger zipper than ya'll use is probably his way of trying to compensate for this by making it big and sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    So basically they added all the stuff to their hammocks that warbonnet has had for awhile? Is there any real difference that would make someone want a DJ over a WBBB?
    I wouldn't know since I've never used a Warbonnet. From what I have read of other people that have used both the "lay" of the hammock is different because of the whipping styles. I think some may like one over the other.

I've tried making my current hammock like a WB with the foot box and that is nice, but the Hennessy style whipping seems to make a wider sleeping platform for you to play with when sleeping than mine does - the foot box seems to make you get in that one good spot. The WB may be different than what I have I'll admit that up front. So saying that, the Hennessy may give the user a little more sense of space and freedom inside the hammock. Of course I could be talking out of my third point of contact saying that since my only close experience is my own attempt to copy the WB. For the record on that, I was trying to make my hammock out of the lest material I could get away with and liked the idea of creating that one perfect spot by manipulating the shape material and not by adding to the size of the material which seems to be the method on most DIY hammocks.
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 08-28-2010 at 13:03.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    I can vouch for the 2QZQ mod making the HH zip even better! The added mod makes it much more versatile.
    I keep thinking I should get my Hyperlight modified. I really liked the hyperlight and had planned to use it on my failed thru once the weather got good enough, but I sure did like getting the net away from the top on my DIY I was using in cold weather. I think if I did mod my hyperlight I would put on WS suspension, make a Nacra-ridge-line for it, and get the zip option 2 or 4 with the hole sewn shut.
    NO SNIVELING!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I keep thinking I should get my Hyperlight modified. I really liked the hyperlight and had planned to use it on my failed thru once the weather got good enough, but I sure did like getting the net away from the top on my DIY I was using in cold weather. I think if I did mod my hyperlight I would put on WS suspension, make a Nacra-ridge-line for it, and get the zip option 2 or 4 with the hole sewn shut.
    Not me, my Hyperlight stays as is, why add weight to the best lightweight hammock? But I do have a no-net hyperlight for no-bug season. I do plan to add 2Q mods to my backpacker UL and my Expedition.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Not me, my Hyperlight stays as is, why add weight to the best lightweight hammock? But I do have a no-net hyperlight for no-bug season. I do plan to add 2Q mods to my backpacker UL and my Expedition.
    I hear ya. I've thought about that too. I've got two ultralights include my ancient pre-asym one. Getting one of those modified would make more sense in that respect.

But for true ultralight I've made a Hennessy Clone. So my thought is when I can go uber light I take my DIY and for those special instances where I want a zip in more substantial net I could probably use a moded hyperlight.

Another thought. Could 2QZQ add a zipper net to a Hennessy Clone?
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Another thought. Could 2QZQ add a zipper net to a Hennessy Clone?
    We should be able to do that, as long as the netting is already in place. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast