Hammock
    HH Expedition w/Hex Tarp, Mod 3
    Insulation
    Potomac KAQ, MSS
    Suspension
    Stock

Compare HH Exped w/ss to NX150

I love my hh Exped with the SS, but really have it bad wanting a NX150. However, the price is scary on the Clark. I would want to try something first that costs that much, but I don't think they do that, so your input as to comfort of the Clark and ease of use, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks, Shelby

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES Sil Winter Tar
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Rings
    Shelby, I recently purchased a Clark Ultralight and kept it for a couple of weeks. My first overnighter in it prompted me to send it back. Since it was within their 20 day window, I was able to send it back for a 12% of purchase price penalty. That amounted to around $29 + $11 to ship it back to them (UPS Ground w/no insurance). I'd have to say it was worth $40 to get the Clark bug out of my system, and now I know that their approach to hammocks is just not for me. Your 12% on an NX150 would be a little more than mine, but as long as you act within the 20 day period, you can get most of your money back. Past the 20 days and you could probably find a buyer on here. As for the higher cost, I would say that Clark's R&D and material selection for their hammocks figures into that- I was impressed with the workmanship and the durable feel of the hammock bed material. The nylon noseum netting seemed top-notch, too.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I don't know much about other hammocks, but
    it appears that the HH Expedition is what is called a gathered end hammock.

Being that the Clark is that as well, your actual sleep style/comfort should be the same, I would think.

The advantages that I see w/the NX 150 over the HH Expedition, would be:
    1. I can't rap my mind around a bottom entry,
    - - left/right top/side entry just seems right.
    2. The NX does not use tie outs but the spreader poles.
    - - personally I don't like to many guys around my camp. (word play? maybe/not )
    3. I like that there is a place for my boots and what-not at night, in the pockets.
    4. I have not used the weather sheild yet, but know I will like it, come the right time.
    5. When you are laying in the NX, and thinking of all the innovations that they use, as well as quality,
    - - I think you will soon forget the cost - - as a concern.

To answer your set up question, it is easily and quikely hung, and the speader bars are a dream as well.
    So with out the tarp there only two lines and knots to tie, pretty simple.

I have also just ordered a couple of Clark Tropical hammocks,
    so will have a chance to try the multiple line set-ups, figuring the netting tie ups.
    But so far I like the fewer lines and knots to deal with.

Even though I seem biased (sp?)
    I hope that helps
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Big difference between the Ultralite and the NX 150/250. I could never be happy in an Ultrlight but I'm ecstatic in my 250. Entirely different animal.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have both a HH and a CJH.

An Explorer asym and a NX-250. They are different beasts, but I am comfortable in both.

I wouldn't call the CJH a true "gathered end" hammock. The HH ends are gathered together in a "W" fold and bundled and sewn. The CJH ends are square-cut with a tunnel sewn in which accordions in as the suspension ropes are installed and snugged.

As I see it, the HH is a flat hammock, whereas the CJH is actually sewn in a 3-D shape.

I can comfortably sleep on my side in either in a semi-fetal position. Today I compared both; I could not discern a major difference in comfort.

The HH with bottom entry is fast and easy for me to enter and exit; the CJH is a bit slower. But sometimes the HH velcro seems to mesh perfetly and getting it to part with your heel is a chore.

The CJH is great when you wish to unzip and throw the netting back out of the way; The HH would need a zipper mod to be as flexible.

The CJH (at least the NX series w/spreader hoops) is quite airy inside; The HH is a bit more claustrophobic.

The CJH tarp has hook & loop fasteners on the end margins for closing it off during inclement weather; The HH tarps are more open and airy.

The pockets on the CJH add a minor amount of insulation via dead air space; The HH feels cooler on youur back in the summer.

The CJH is more expensive because it has more included feaures (zipper bug net and weather cover, under pockets) and there is more sewing involved in it's manufacture (think of sewing in 3-D). It is also domestically made. The gathered design of the HH is a simpler design to construct.

Out of the stuffsack, I consider the HH to be a superior summer hammock due to it's cooler design. The CJH can be easily equipped with OEM insulation (Z-Liner) for cooler temps, but the HH can have an Undercover and pad installed, or either can have a underquilt attached.

The CJH is probably easier to arrange a sleeping pad inside (so I hear).

So, which is the winner in my estimation? Neither! As I said, they are slightly different beasties. In canoeing circles, this would be analogous to arguing over the merits of a Bell Magic vs a Wenonah Prism vs a Placid Rapidfire. All different, all worthy. Great campfire debate fodder! I plan on using my HH in hot summer conditions and my CJH in cooler/colder temps.

Jim
    Current hammock count: 2
    Last edited by Jsaults; 08-30-2010 at 07:33. Reason: Atroshus splng.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Thank you Jim that was extraordinary.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    personally I don't like to many guys around my camp. (word play? maybe/not )

Now that's funny!!

So with out the tarp there only two lines and knots to tie, pretty simple.

I have also just ordered a couple of Clark Tropical hammocks,
    so will have a chance to try the multiple line set-ups, figuring the netting tie ups.

But so far I like the fewer lines and knots to deal with.
    With my Tropical, I don't tie any knots anymore. I've added 3 pairs of whoopies, 2 for the main hammock (hammock & netting) & 1pair for the tarp. I made the whoopies so I could custom fit the lengths. The whoopies that hold the netting have a very small bury and are shorter than the main whoopies. I'm finding that to set up and take down is super quick without having to first tie knots and then adjustments later that might need to happen.

Still it's always good to know how to tie a decent knot just in case you need to. My 3 fav's are clove hitch, tautline hitch, & bowline (including the slip bowline).

Hammock
    HH Expedition w/Hex Tarp, Mod 3
    Insulation
    Potomac KAQ, MSS
    Suspension
    Stock

Thanks

Boy, ask and you shall receive! I appreciate your perspectives. I still feel like I want to get a CJH NX150 and give it a try. Sounds like 20 days should be enough to determine if there is a 'fit'. Thanks. HF is the best resource on the net for hangers!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

A couple of hints about setting a Clark:

In my experience, set the foot 3-4 inches above the head so you do not slide down past the pockets, especially if tou are using the pockets with insulation.

And don't set it too tightly. If you experience difficulty sliding the zipper pulls past the "corners" then your set is too taught.

Jim

Hammock
    TTTG SB dbl
    Tarp
    OES SWT
    Insulation
    HG 20/Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    its a little bit late but thanks for the information.

• + New Posts