So I realized its been a whole season and I haven't used my bugnet yet. Not one mosquito bite (while camping) I backpack in VA NC TN area and my biggest complaint with bugs has been gnats while I'm hiking in later afternoon on hot days, or someplaces there were some flies that were annoying when I stop hiking. Once I have a capmfire and night comes...I don't notice anything.

I think the idea of a bugnet is probably a visceral response to many people who want critters out of their tent but in a hammock they have to "walk the tightrope" to get in anyway. Its not the same as tent camping with bugs / critters potentially all on the ground.

Now I know some of you live in areas that are different and I'm not saying that all parts of the country don't need bug nets, but.....I don't even bring mine anymore.

The irony is when I first started hammocking there was no chance I was not going to buy a bug net when I got my hammock based on my tent experiences. So people who make and sell hammocks probably contibute to an unneeded purchase to make people like me feel more comfortable with a new set up even though it is not really always needed.

You black fly country and mosquito swamp campers out there can just take my apology in advance for minimizing your need for a bugnet, but I like my tarp up high and no bug net when I sleep

cooldays