Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images

who needs a bug net?

So I realized its been a whole season and I haven't used my bugnet yet. Not one mosquito bite (while camping) I backpack in VA NC TN area and my biggest complaint with bugs has been gnats while I'm hiking in later afternoon on hot days, or someplaces there were some flies that were annoying when I stop hiking. Once I have a capmfire and night comes...I don't notice anything.

I think the idea of a bugnet is probably a visceral response to many people who want critters out of their tent but in a hammock they have to "walk the tightrope" to get in anyway. Its not the same as tent camping with bugs / critters potentially all on the ground.

Now I know some of you live in areas that are different and I'm not saying that all parts of the country don't need bug nets, but.....I don't even bring mine anymore.

The irony is when I first started hammocking there was no chance I was not going to buy a bug net when I got my hammock based on my tent experiences. So people who make and sell hammocks probably contibute to an unneeded purchase to make people like me feel more comfortable with a new set up even though it is not really always needed.

You black fly country and mosquito swamp campers out there can just take my apology in advance for minimizing your need for a bugnet, but I like my tarp up high and no bug net when I sleep

cooldays

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I hear ya. I was thinking the same thing last trip up to the Smokies. During the day the gnats and skeeters were a PITA, but at night the bugs went away and no bug net was needed, which is why I feel fine keeping just a 1.5oz tulle net handy for when bugs are actually a problem on that rare occasion around here.

But when I was living in LA, the 'skeeters would come out with a vengeance around sunset and spend all night trying to bite through the hammock body. If I went back to a place like that I would likely use one of my Hennessy Hammocks for the substantial bugnet and room away from the bugs you need down there in season.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I had my headlamp on at night in the Smokies, lots of bugs landed on my skeeter net. Glad I had it then...but maybe it wouldn't have been a problem if I just turned off my headlamp.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have yet to get my first "wilderness" hang under my belt, but have lots of ground dwelling experience. Since moving to NC, I have noticed the drop-off of blood sucking activity after sundown. Dusk and dawn can still be bad, though. I have lived on mango islands and high altitude desert and have seen the extremes in bug life. Lately I have been wondering about exactly what you posted. Looking forward to seeing more replies.

Thanks
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    When I had my headlamp on at night in the Smokies, lots of bugs landed on my skeeter net. Glad I had it then...but maybe it wouldn't have been a problem if I just turned off my headlamp.
    LOL, when was that? Also, what elevation? My experience with this was up at 5,000', I bet it would have been different down on the Lakeshore.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I should be clear and say I have also treated my hiking clothes with premethrin and but I don't sleep in them and the flies and gnats didn't care about my premethrin too much ....heheh....I need to send them to premethrin school discipline training or me to better application or premethrin school.

At night I am not in treated clothes and sleep without my bugnet..

Climate change is having a dramatic effect upon insects. I believe in the United Kingdom where they have an annual survey of insect species they have noted a decline in numbers.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Come to the north east during black fly season (My friends in Vermont, Maine, etc feel the pain). Or just NJ near any river.

No lack of bugs here

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Yeti Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    When my daughters were 9 & 5 we took a canoe trip mid-June down the Saco River in ME. and camped (tent) on sandbars. My youngest, now 25, still remembers that my oldest and I wanted to play "connect the dots" on her face!

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    You should have seen me after a couple of weeks in Baghdad my first tour. We got there just in time for 'skeeter season, and they have a bunch of diseases like malaria. Ouch.
    NO SNIVELING!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast