DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images

DIY shopping list input needed

Hello all,

Been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and have decided I want to give hammocks a try. The ease of use and comfort factor are persusive arguments. I've made gear before and have a great sewing machine, so I'm ready to purchase supplies for my first hammock. I'd like some input into my shopping list before I order, just so I don't have to wait on something I overlooked. There's a few questions I have as well tossed in.

(FIY: I'm 6'2", 160lbs)

hammock material: 1.9 uncoated ripstop -- 4yds
    suspension: 7/64 amsteel whoopie slings -- ???? how much length to make my own??
    1" webbing for tree huggers -- 4-5' long each

I'm still not exactly sure what dimension of ripstop to start with. I've seen varying sizes, none of which from someone exactly my size. Would 11' be a good starting point? I plan on doing a gathered end hammock for starters.

If I like hanging, then I will add a bugnet since we've got plenty of bugs around here. Any thoughts on velcro vs. zipper attachment? I'd like to be able to remove it for bugless seasons.

I need a little more guidance on structural ridgelines. They seem to be a pretty smart idea. Pros and cons?

Thanks for the input. And thanks to all who've posted their how-to's and pictures. I've learned a lot already.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Hello all,

Been reading the forum for a couple of weeks and have decided I want to give hammocks a try. The ease of use and comfort factor are persusive arguments. I've made gear before and have a great sewing machine, so I'm ready to purchase supplies for my first hammock. I'd like some input into my shopping list before I order, just so I don't have to wait on something I overlooked. There's a few questions I have as well tossed in.

(FIY: I'm 6'2", 160lbs)

hammock material: 1.9 uncoated ripstop -- 4yds
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/uncoa...s.htm#Uncoated Fabrics, but FWIW with your size you could probably go 1.1 and feel fine.
    suspension: 7/64 amsteel whoopie slings -- ???? how much length to make my own??
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1076490 although you could try doing dynaglide for a little less weight.
    1" webbing for tree huggers -- 4-5' long each
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/995491

although I like using these: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=207487_0_0_
    I'm still not exactly sure what dimension of ripstop to start with. I've seen varying sizes, none of which from someone exactly my size. Would 11' be a good starting point? I plan on doing a gathered end hammock for starters.
    I always start with 3 yards for the bottom, so if you are going to go double you will need 6.
    If I like hanging, then I will add a bugnet since we've got plenty of bugs around here. Any thoughts on velcro vs. zipper attachment? I'd like to be able to remove it for bugless seasons.
    Zippers work better in my experience. Velcro really doesn't save weight and seems to get all gunked up on itself.
    I need a little more guidance on structural ridgelines. They seem to be a pretty smart idea. Pros and cons?
    I consider mine semi-structural. You will have to decide on how to do that. Many of us like no ridgeline in the way when we don't need a net.
    Thanks for the input. And thanks to all who've posted their how-to's and pictures. I've learned a lot already.
    Good luck.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts