Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    An impromptu excursion to Ohiopyle PA to visit with an extended family of friends gave me an opportunity to finally sleep in my new Clark. Up to this point I had only had time to do test set-ups and hour-long hangs.

Located in the Laurel Highlands of western PA, Phiopyle is known for the Youghiogheny River and it's white water. I was staying near the top of a ridge (Tharp Knob area) several hundred feet in elevation above the river, so breezes through the forrested area are common.

My Crow's Nest was only ordered last week, so with the temps getting down to the low 50s at night I was looking for insulation alternatives.

Saturday night: After setting the hammock, and attempting to set the foot 3-4 inches above the head (difficult to do on a slope with one tree lower that the other!) I packed the six under-pockets with what I had on hand. Fleece vest. Lightweight fleece hoodie. Wadded up cotton shirt. Sleeping bag drysack partially inflated. The cotton shorts I had been wearing during the warm day. Etc. I had a synthetic SS shirt, underwear, and wool socks to sleep in. As a top quilt I used my old Marmot Grouse down bag partially unzipped.

Was not warm. My set did not have enough foot elevation, so I slid down past the pockets and experienced CBS. Shoulders wer OK though. And the sleeping position(s) were just fine - back, semi-side, or side. I had removed about half the foam filling from a TheermaRest pillow, which turned out to be a bit too flat. Easily correted.

Sunday night: The temperatures dropped off quickly, and by sacktime I could see my breath. I had re-set the hammock, and was confident that I would not slide down as I did the previous evening. And I used a LL Bean fleece bag as an interior pad - zipped shut and folded in half it insulated from shoulder to hip. I also wore the hoodie with the hood up, and donned a fleece jacket as well. Much more comfortable! The fleece bag was a hassle to deal with getting into the hammock, and after a 0200 bladder break. I am really looking forward to the Crow's Nest!

As for the NX-250, it functioned well and was a pleasure to use. The weather cover was great, allowing me to zip it closed with just about a foot of vent open above my head. No condensation noted anywhere, but the RH was probably quite low both nights. The tarp pitches very nicely - a fine catenary cut.

Jim
    Glad you're liking your NX 250. I have over twenty days this summer hanging in my 250 in the Ohiopyle area. We're into whitewater kayaking....started paddling there over twenty years ago....great area for anything outdoors.

I'm still having great success with Mac's IX UQ. I'm looking forward to testing the limits soon here in upstate NY. I'll be bringing my wife's IX as a backup. I run the attachment points up and over the end tabs that hold the spreader bars. It makes for a real tight fit on the ends.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Cool that you know the area.

I have been involved in various activities in and around OP since.......1968. Rafted, guided, paddled a C-1, paddled open boats, managed a retail store, biked the trail. This past weekend I got to see my godson and "neice" run the falls. Sunday we headed for Wisp Resort to let them paddle the man-made WW course. Great weather, biut the Yough was very bony at 1.3 feet.

Jim

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    We were down there all last week....1.3 the entire time...still a lot of fun. We usually stay at Paddler's Lane CG over in Confluence...the old Riversport Camp. I started when John Lichter owned it. Odds are we've passed each other on the river. Small world eh.

Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Even smaller than you think.

I first camped there about 15-20 years ago, also when John owned it. I was there with my HH last summer with a group from Paddling.net. Yep. Small world.

Jim

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I think you will like NOT having the ridgeline in the winter.

when it snows...if you let your face be outside the partly unzipped weather guard and bug net, then when you breathe the condensation will freeze on your undersurface of your tarp and snow on your outside of your weatherguard and you will we be dry and warm Also when it is closer to your body, the air in the hammock is another warmth barrier and I think it gives you another 10 degrees or so of comfort. If you keep it up, it will snow inside the hammock when your breath condenses.

ditch the ridgeline below freezing is my advice.

cooldays

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

That makes sense Cooldays.

The non-structural ridgeline I installed uses small S-biners and can be unhooked. Your suggestion of allowing the weathershield/net system to drape down on your chest to keep exhalation vapor out of the hammock makes all the sense in the world. Thanks!

Jim

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

Jsaults.....Whats with the ear plugs??

I just got up and have not had enough coffee yet, am I missing something Tell me more please.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Earplugs are great!

1. Barking dogs throughout the night (a problem at Ohiopyle).
    2. CSX mainline about 100ft from Paddler's Rest campground. And on a turn no less (screeching wheels).
    3. Adjacent campsite reinacting a Jerry Springer show at Trap Pond in DE.
    4. Gale winds at Assateague Island wilderness sites.
    5. Fishermen coming and going at all hours of the night at Pymatuning Lake PA' Linesville Campground.

Apparently I am a light sleeper so any help I can get is worth it!

Jim

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images

Earplugs

Well I never thought about it that that way. I am going to try some and see what I don't hear.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    Just got myself a new NX-250 and I love it!!!!!! Had an NA that I thought I'd always be true to but now I find myself dedicated only to my 250.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast