Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    20° incubator :)
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images

Post Red top mountain

ok folks so i just got back from a quick over-night trip to redtop mountain (GA) and it was as pretty as ever. i went up for the "Iron pour weekend".

I slept in my Hennessey expedition for the second time since buying it and was a little disappointed. I took a friend up and introduced them to hammock camping by letting them borrow my ENO doublenest. I set up their hammock (ultra quickly) with biners, slapstraps and a cheap walmart tarp in an A frame and it looked awesome.

It took me ages to set up my hennessey (Admittedly it was dark when i was setting it up). I did look up lots of attachment styles before i left it still took ages. I ended up doing a cloveshitch on one end as the main fastening method and a truckers hitch on the other end (attached to carabiners which were attached to the webbing). A little complex i guess (i wanted to do garda hitches but REI was out of descender rings and i wasnt sure where else i could buy them at short notice in ATL).
    Any other hennessey (stock rope) suggestions would be welcome. whoopies are great but i am poor at the moment

I had alot of trouble sleeping in the hennessey. i know i can sleep pretty well in the ENO because i have used it alot just hanging outside my house in the summer evenings. Does anyone else have these problems.

1. the velcro section in the bottom caused a ridge as my legs were laying across it and was pretty uncomfortable.

My thinking when getting the Hennessey was an all in one bugnet, hammock and tarp (at the time i didnt have anything but an ENO hammock) i was going to get the bottom entry and have the zipper mod for maximum functionality but i didnt plan on the problems with the velcro (maybe its just me)

2. it was a little difficult getting in and out when i needed to pee in the night.

3. it seemed a little stuffy (not a big deal though)

I am also not so sure about the A-sym cut. i am thinking i would prob like it cut the other way, i am a lefty (dunno if this makes much difference) and i think i may be more comfortable with an asym cut in the other direction across the ridgeline. (May see about getting a warbonnet ...and asking for a different cut, everyone seems to rave about them ) or i may see about making my own.

Anyway i woke up around 3 feeling a little cold and threw my sleeping bag around me and after that slept until 9 ish. As soon as i woke up i put the hennessey away and used the eno as a chair

We spent much of the rest of the day swimming in the lake

Bottom line

I am not sure whether to return my Hennessey to REI and stick with just the ENO or give it another try. What do you folks think...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

either way i look at it i love being above the ground alot more that on it

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Thermarest

red top mountain

I use a Hennessy Exped and have had no problems as you describe. Set up goes fast - I learned the Hennessy knot, which is a fast one to tie, even with a flashlight. The velcro has never created a lump for me and the diagonal lay works just fine. Don't know about being left handed. Getting out for nature calls have always been OK. May I suggest you give it more tries? I can't imagine a better hammock than my HH Exped.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Might just take you a few times .... alter your pitch and sag....... tree spacing.
    Hammocks do have a learning curve ..... the pay-off is good though.
    I don't think whoopies would help your comfort .... just get a perfect hang for you.
    Also .... get some bottom insulation as it gets cooler than ya' think in the piney woods at night. Pads or UQ.
    Wish you well on this.
    Or get the ENO back!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DEBATING eno and diy at the moment
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    i know the hennessey knot too but it is a pain to keep unfastening and adjusting i was wanting something simpler. with my ENO you clip a carabiner to a strap and thats it no matter how i adjust it it seems comfortable to me

i will give the hennessey a few more tries i was just a little disapointed considering the great praise it gets (i do think it is extremely well made, and i can understand why people like it, im just not sure if it is for me...yet )

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    i know the hennessey knot too but it is a pain to keep unfastening and adjusting i was wanting something simpler. with my ENO you clip a carabiner to a strap and thats it no matter how i adjust it it seems comfortable to me

i will give the hennessey a few more tries i was just a little disapointed considering the great praise it gets (i do think it is extremely well made, and i can understand why people like it, im just not sure if it is for me...yet )
    Pretty cheap and easy to swap out the suspension .....
    Watch Grizz's videos on suspensions: Grizz Webbing Stuff
    Shug

Hammock
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    hey shug.....the ENO never left i have 2 hammocks....the bug took a hold after the first night swinging from my ENO on the porch .....i just was thinking if i liked the ENO more why not take advantage of REIs great return policy and with the money i get back from the hennessey return i can invest a little more in filling up my hammock supply closet

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    hey shug.....the ENO never left i have 2 hammocks....the bug took a hold after the first night swinging from my ENO on the porch .....i just was thinking if i liked the ENO more why not take advantage of REIs great return policy and with the money i get back from the hennessey return i can invest a little more in filling up my hammock supply closet
    I meant get it back from the friend .... tell 'em they deserve the Hennessy!

Hammock
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    watched the vids before.....as well as a bunch of yours , i did do some research before i went...i just couldnt get a hold of any descender rings anywhere

Hammock
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    i never let them leave the camp site with it...im not giving that one up

Hammock
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    was looking at the 2qzq website for a zipper mod and the sleeping bag in the pic looks alot higher up than i was sleeping...perhaps im laying too far down the foot end and thats causing the fabric to stretch weird??? i guess it just needs more testing

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast