Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Winter Hangout 2008 Planning

2008 Hammock Forums Winter Hang Out

January 25-27

Mt. Rogers, Va

-81.49858 36.65392

Temps: Average conditions for January at the Mt Rogers National Rec Area are 23L to 43H with 3.5" precip. January is the average coolest month. (Monthly Averages)
    - Prepare for single digits, snow and freezing rain (WOOHOO!!)
    - Snow shoes not needed

Directions, Parking, Trail -
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike
    i will lay out some basic info on getting to wise shelter.
    hwy 58 in VA. will take you to the entrance to greyson highlands state park.http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm
    GHSP phone#... (276) 579-7092
    area ranger... (276) 783-5196

when you enter the park, it's all up hill & for a good ways.
    1st you will come to the check-in booth which will be un-attended this time of year.
    there's a fee for overnight parking & you'll find envelopes there to put your cash or check in. it has a tear-off to put on your mirror or dash w/ a number that matches the number on your payment envelope.
    this just lets the rangers know that you paid the parking fee for that vehicle. you don't have to put the info about arrival/departure date, & destination if you don't want.
    the cost is $8.00 for a two night stay (per vehicle).
    as you continue up the park road you will pass the entrance to the picnic area on the right. keep going.
    a little ways farther, you will turn into the paved road leading to the camp ground. these are easy to see because of the normal, brown park signs.
    as soon as you turn onto the campground road, you will see the gravel parking area for overnight backpacking on the left, but unless you plan to hike in by a longer route, keep going on the camp ground road.
    as you begin to enter the campground, you will see a small building (divided by a breezeway) on the right, w/ a sign that says "country store".
    strait across, on the left, is the parking area that will get you closest to wise shelter.
    last time i was there, they had a port-a-john in that little parking area, but i don't know if they leave those out all year or not.

at the back-side of the parking lot, you'll see a wide, multi-use trail (like a forest service road) that you'll follow by foot.
    there are a couple trails that go off of that trail, but the main trail is obvious & you just stay on that.
    you will cross two creeks that are not deep but just wide enough that they could make it a challenge to keep your feet dry... depends on the water flow & if there is snow or ice on the rocks.
    after 20-30 minutes, the AT will cross the trail/road that you have been walking.
    take a left on the AT. you'll soon cross a creek on a wooden foot bridge (w/ hand rails) & a couple minutes later be at wise shelter.
    the whole walk took me about 40 minutes.

extra note...HOI told us last year about a short cut on the trails that saved us from having to make that last creek crossing.
    when you see the 2nd wide creek just down the trail in front of you, there will be a zig-zag pony gate up on the bank to your left.
    if you go through the gate & continue up the hill, you will come to the AT near wise shelter in about 5 minutes.
    there may not be much of a trail to see, but just go strait up hill away from the road through an area that's mostly open w/ grass & a few shrubs.
    if there's any snow on the ground & others have already used that path, it will be easy to follow their tracks.
    Saturday Dinner: Community dinner on Saturday if you're interested...hot dogs on the fire. Please bring something to share if you plan on eating. There's a parking area pretty close to the shelter so you can keep a cooler in the car, then go get your food Saturday evening. Sign up to bring...
    - Hot Dogs - GrizzlyAdams
    - Chili - skippy
    - Buns - slowhike
    - Dessert - NCPatrick CC cookies
    - Paper Plates (burnable) - Dutch
    - Napkins or Paper Towels - mixinmaster
    - Condiments - rstms
    - Potato Salad
    - Chips - blackedoutcoupe
    Last edited by headchange4u; 01-07-2008 at 20:32.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Time for the pre-planning for the 2nd annual Hammock Forums Winter Hangout.

Last year it was held at Mt Rogers, in Virgina, at the end of January.

Questions that need to be addressed are:

.............I had thought about the the Smoky Mountains or perhaps the Big South Fork. If you have a suggestion for a spot please speak up.....
    Either of these sound good.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'll vote for mt rogers area!
    and jan or feb either one should work for me.
    bad weather??? what's that
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    1. I don't know enough good spots to have a suggestion. But, if you're asking, southern areas work better for me.

2. The weekend of Jan. 19th is Martin Luther King Jr. weekend so that means a three day weekend for a lot of people; easier to travel. Ask the banker about paid holidays; anybody need a list of dates the Federal Reserve is closed?

3. Isn't bad weather part of the fun? What else would people whine about after the hang.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Mt. Rogers was fun, but I'm certainly open to other suggestions...

I attended MAHHA in Maryland and will attend the upcoming hangout in RRG in Kentucky, 6 hours North and then 6 hours NorthWest. It would be nice to be somewhere farther South (it is Winter, after all) or Easterly. Off the AT? or the MST?

The timing worked well for me last year, right after the lull that happens after the holidays.

But I'm pretty flexible overall.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

I could probably pull off a mount rogers trip (had to look up the address : 3714 Highway 16, Marion, Virginia, 24354)

would be my first trip in the dead of winter for sure.

You can do the Smokies if you stay at one of the campgrounds. The only ones open in the winter are Smokemont and Cades Cove. The non-rationed campsites have a limit to the number of people who can stay there so if you have to many to sign up you may be screwed.

Big South Fork or Red River Gorge would be nice..Mt Rogers is nice but it gets old after a while.

please don't schedule the 2008 winter hang the same weekend as SORUCK - which for the last 6 or so years has been MLK weekend

the conflict between the Gathering and MAHHA really was a problem - lets not repeat it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    please don't schedule the 2008 winter hang the same weekend as SORUCK - which for the last 6 or so years has been MLK weekend

the conflict between the Gathering and MAHHA really was a problem - lets not repeat it
    Ditto... I was about to ask the same thing. Rock and I have already committed to being at the SORUCK which will be held MLK weekend we've been told. Very difficult to choose between two events we want to attend.
    Trail Angel

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Smokies sound good to me.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast