Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images

DIY UQ from down comforter

Heyya. I'd like to pick your collective brains for a sec.

I'd say I'm pretty new to the hammocking community, but my heart is definitely here. Unfortunately, my wallet isn't. (Doesn't that describe so many of us?) So I've been using a Thermarest Z-rest pad under me as I hammock, but have begun to covet a nice down UQ. (Again, doesn't that describe so many of us?)

Well a week or so ago, I was rummaging through my linen closet when I stumbled upon two Queen-size quilts (80" x 80"), one down and one synthetic! I cautiously approached my wife:

"Honey, I don't ever remember seeing that down comforter used in the last 10 years or so...canIhaveitforahammockunderquiltpleaseohplease ?" She said yes. So now I'm trying to figure out how best to use what I've got.

First: what are the drawbacks of sewing and slicing up the quilt as-is, without transferring the down into a nylon shell? I believe the cover is a cotton/poly blend of some sort.

Second, if I'm careful, could I make an UQ and a TQ from one 80" x 80" quilt? Maybe instead of slicing straight down 40", I could angle the line 20-30 degrees and have two tapered quilts? I'd HATE to end up with two unusable quilts instead of one excellent quilt with some extra material removed.

Third: I'm planning on using the down for both, if I can. But assuming that it doesn't measure out right, should I use the down for the UQ and synthetic for the TQ or vice versa?

Thanks, y'all!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    first i must ask...do you car camp....or are you more of a backpacker...
    i only ask because it will be on the heavy side when it's done...
    if it was me...i would get some ripstop and make my shell...and just use the down from the quilt to save weight...

just cut a hole in it...and pull some out...and stuff your new UQ
    eye up how much you put in try to even the baffles out as best as you can
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    but to be honest...if you have a way to sew...why not just order some down from stormcrow....you could make a 3 season UQ for under $60

down 6.50 a yard x 5 = 32.50
    3 yards of camo ripstop from stormcrow 3.50 a yard = 10.50
    thread,shock cord,no see um i'll say $15

thats $58 for an UQ

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Take a cheap hammock and use it to snug the comforter up under your normal hammock. Don't compress.

Hammock
    GT
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    first i must ask...do you car camp....or are you more of a backpacker...
    i only ask because it will be on the heavy side when it's done...
    if it was me...i would get some ripstop and make my shell...and just use the down from the quilt to save weight...
    I do some car camping with my kids, and some backpacking with grown-ups. How much weight difference are we talking?

And how wide are UQs usually? What am I sacrificing if I only go 40-ish inches wide?
    -Digrat
    "Better than a map!"

Code:
     _   _
    ( )_( )
     (o o)
      \ /
      >.<

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by digrat View Post
    I do some car camping with my kids, and some backpacking with grown-ups. How much weight difference are we talking?

And how wide are UQs usually? What am I sacrificing if I only go 40-ish inches wide?
    well...i know of a few ppl that used down from home quilts and they were around 2lbs ....
    now one using stormcrow down would be around 15oz

so there will be a big difference in weight

the big thing is,is that home quilts use alot more feathers then down...
    with lets say 800 fill down there is only down and not feathers
    thats why it cost more it's cleaned so theres no crappy fill in it
    and it saves on weight cause it's all the good parts no stems or anything like that and the fill to weight ratio is much better..

see with the stuff you find in home quilts you need alot more to fill the same amount of space in a quilt that would only take a small amount from lets say 800 fill down

i hope that came out right

don't get me wrong it's a good cheap way to make an UQ ...but if your going to do backpacking...i would really look into getting some 800 fill down
    i think in the long run you will be happy you did so

and for size 40 inch is good...mine are only 42inch wide by 44-46 inch long...so you don't need much...that comes down to what you like better
    but if you go wider then 40-42 inch you might want to look into darting the quilt

Hammock
    GT
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Toggles
    Images
    well...i know of a few ppl that used down from home quilts and they were around 2lbs .... now one using stormcrow down would be around 15oz
    Good to know. I thought that down was down. Apparently, sometimes down is down plus feathers. I know that using ripstop will shave a bunch of weight off, and bulk too...but I don't have any on-hand and have a caving campout this weekend that I'd like to try an UQ on.

and for size 40 inch is good...mine are only 42inch wide by 44-46 inch long...so you don't need much...that comes down to what you like better but if you go wider then 40-42 inch you might want to look into darting the quilt
    Sweet. That's just the info I needed. Thanks.
    -Digrat
    "Better than a map!"

Code:
     _   _
    ( )_( )
     (o o)
      \ /
      >.<

Images
    Most of the down blankets/quilts that I have found are 95% feathers/5% down. That's not an exageration, it is what is on the tag.
    "The first time I saw a hammock, I remember thinking, 'Now I know what trees are for.'" --Jim Gaffigan, comedian

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&amp;Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I have similar intentions.

I have an Eddie Bauer 1# down liner bag that I never use anymore. (For you young whippersnalppers, Eddie Bauer was once a proud American company that made top-notch outdoor gear. They outfitted the 1963 American Everest Expedition with down coats, pants and bags.)

Since it is a simple sleeve, with a seam running down one side and across the foot, I plan on opening it up to lie flat and then modifying it as needed. It is of sewn-through design, so it will have limited cold-weather application, but it cost me $25.00 (!) in the '70s so what the hey.

But, and this is a big but, I can tell that the down is simply not the high quality stuff available today. I can feel quills through the fabric. Live-plucked down from the '70s was usually 550-600 fill power. But that is a far cry from the 800-900 FP stuff available nowadays.

Jim

• + New Posts