WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness

Continuous Tarp ridgeline - should I change it

I've always used a full length tarp ridgeline with my setup, but you guys have got me shedding the ounces lately so now I'm thinking of scrapping it.
    The reason I've not done it before is because most of my hammocking takes place in Scottish pine plantations and having the full ridge gives me a bit of security from falling branches etc.
    I know we should always look up and check for widow makers but even then healthy branches can fall without notice.

Anyway at the moment I use a 10m 4mm climbing accessory cord with a prussic at each end of my tarp ridge. I've not weighed it yet but I know it's going to be fairly heavy, however it's a rock solid rig and only takes a couple of minutes to setup so I guess I've always stuck with it.
    But looking at a lot of your posts most of you seem to favour just short tie outs from the ridge out to the tree.

Can you tell what the pros and cons are with both so i can try to make my mind up with what to do

Piccie of my current rig ...

That's a 10m 4mm static ridge line with an evenk slippery hitch at one end and a truckers hitch at the other. A prussic at each end tie out.
    Last edited by Shewie; 08-30-2010 at 16:09.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I've always used a full length tarp ridgeline with my setup, but you guys have got me shedding the ounces lately so now I'm thinking of scrapping it.
    The reason I've not done it before is because most of my hammocking takes place in Scottish pine plantations and having the full ridge gives me a bit of security from falling branches etc.
    I know we should always look up and check for widow makers but even then healthy branches can fall without notice.

Anyway at the moment I use a 10m 4mm climbing accessory cord with a prussic at each end of my tarp ridge. I've not weighed it yet but I know it's going to be fairly heavy, however it's a rock solid rig and only takes a couple of minutes to setup so I guess I've always stuck with it.
    But looking at a lot of your posts most of you seem to favour just short tie outs from the ridge out to the tree.

Can you tell what the pros and cons are with both so i can try to make my mind up with what to do
    You have the same basic setup I and many others have. The difference is the cord used. I use a lightweight Amsteel, plenty strong , yet weighs very little. I use a Figure nine on one end, easy to tighten and easy to untighten.
    I have been back and forth with under tarp, over tarp, neither, and always come back to under tarp because of the ability to hang stuff on the line under the tarp. I suppose the weight savings can be an issue to some, but I opt to leave the 10oz Del Monico steak at home and take the 6oz one instead to make up for it.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Many of us use the full tarp ridge line, just lighter cord.

I use either 1.75 mm Lash-It or 2 mm Lash-It or 2 mm Dynaglide.

Use any one of those and your tarp ridge line will be under 1 oz including the Prussics.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My (550 cord) full ridgeline took me months to decide to use. A switch from a 4' cord (also 550 cord) at each end adjusted by figure 9s. Overall it takes about 45 seconds longer to set up, & is about 3x as heavy, BUT on those nights were I think it isn't going to rain, but does: I set up the ridgeline EVERY time, it then takes just a few seconds to get the tarp up & at least covering everything, I can then stake at leisure. The "old way" took about 45 seconds to have up and adjusted, with the full ridgeline & prussic knots I pre-adjust the position & it takes literally 5 seconds to be under cover, then another minute or less to stake, depending on my motivation. The old way, at best was 30 seconds to tarp up & 15 or so to get centered, & 60 seconds to stake. For ME, it's worth the weight because I prefer to not have the tarp up as often as I can, sometimes even if I suspect it will rain in a few hrs, I still leave the tarp off knowing I can cover up quickly.
    FYI: I tried doing the ridge under the tarp, & got soaked, (long, steady but light rain) now it's ridgeline OVER the tarp & in 3 T-storms I have stayed dry. Not tried yet, but I suspect if I'm getting snow, I'll go tarp over the ridgeline just for added strength. I sure hope I get to test that this year!!!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    2nd on the zing it or fling it line. Good stuff, lightweight, doesnt stretch (reducing readjustments). Doesn't hold water, so if you happen to be packing up in the rain,it one less thing to get the rest of your gear wet.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    ...... Not tried yet, but I suspect if I'm getting snow, I'll go tarp over the ridgeline just for added strength. I sure hope I get to test that this year!!!
    I need to set you up with a pole mod for that snow issue. Worked pretty good last year preventing side cave in.

Under tarp ridge line also provides a great place to string ......Christmas lights!!

Hope to see you there.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I need to set you up with a pole mod for that snow issue. Worked pretty good last year preventing side cave in.

Under tarp ridge line also provides a great place to string ......Christmas lights!!

Hope to see you there.
    Pole idea looks cool - as does the lights. Needs a set of sleigh bells to REALLY top it off, though!!
    Mike

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Thanks for the input guys

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Playing Devil's Advocate here.....

Disclosure: I use a continuous ridgeline with prussicks & S-biners. Seems to me that this system places less stress on the ridge tie-outs during windy weather. Anyone's thoughts?

Jim

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    Disclosure: I use a continuous ridgeline with prussicks & S-biners. Seems to me that this system places less stress on the ridge tie-outs during windy weather. Anyone's thoughts?

Jim
    I feel the same way, the cord and fabrics contact points are much greater, dispersing the wind load over a greater area. While the main tiepoints are largely responsible for keeping the tarp expanded, the full ridge absorbs a lot of shock energy from gusting winds.

My opinion...no technical data to base it on..merely an observation on a windy day.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast