Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images

Under quilt shape

Hi All
    I bought a synthetic quilt ready made but without a cover on the weekend, it's about 6 1/2 ft x 5ft and cost just AUD$11.95.
    So I plan to cut it so that it is narrower and make an under quilt out of it.
    But should I keep it rectangular or maybe make it taper in from the middle toward both ends, similar in shape to a loaded hammock?

Then I just had a though to cut a head hole or slit more like in the middle so that it could be worn in camp before retiring for the night.

What do you all think?
    Thanks
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Hi All
    I bought a synthetic quilt ready made but without a cover on the weekend, it's about 6 1/2 ft x 5ft and cost just AUD$11.95.
    So I plan to cut it so that it is narrower and make an under quilt out of it.
    But should I keep it rectangular or maybe make it taper in from the middle toward both ends, similar in shape to a loaded hammock?

Then I just had a though to cut a head hole or slit more like in the middle so that it could be worn in camp before retiring for the night.

What do you all think?
    Thanks
    Just so happens that in the midst of documenting something else this evening I took a picture of a couple quilts, the top one is synthetic, the bottom one down. The rectangular one has channels sewn into the head and foot ends, with shock cord. So you cinch them up to get a narrower head and foot. The sides of the rectangular one are just grosgrain I think. Conversely, the synthetic one on top has channels with shock cord running in the long sides, and you don't cinch up the head and foot. Cinching up the sides pulls the quilt into the hammock body.

Both work well on my hammocks. If I were doing a DIY quilt I'd likely go with the rectangular style because it is simpler. Also gives you more coverage for the camp fashion show, in case you're modest.

Grizz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    My question to those that have quilts is how much room they take up in a pack. I live where rain is predominate over the winter and am fearful of using down which compresses better than synthetic. I have made one synthetic quilt and I have a largish pack ( G4 home made ) and couldn't compress the quilt enuff to fit everything in without jumping in the pack with my feet to squeeze everything. It will work well for car camping but not for hiking.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Just a note: the top quilt in Griz's pic is asym, mostly designed for a Hennesy. It works for a "regular" hammock, (I have one, love it) but you need to be aware of that factor & rig just a bit differently or it makes for a cold cold night. I too will make a rectangular underquilt when I get to do so.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i think a good way to go about it would be to make it rectangle w/ a grosgrain attachment tab on each of the four corners.
    then add a channel for a draw cord across each end.
    since the quilt is already made, it may be more practical to add a draw cord channel made from some other material folded over.

that way attaching it to the hammock by the grosgrain loops & getting it properly adjusted for the weighted hammock is one step.
    the draw cord is a separate adjustment for closing the ends to make it warmer or loosing them to vent.

on the head hole, do you plan to add omni tape to close it?
    i'm thinking you will want to find a way add enough length to one of the omni tapes to allow them to over lap with out pulling the quilt out of it's normal flat shape.

i have been planning to add a head hole to one of my summer weight speer quilts too, but i plan on adding a collar instead of the simple slit.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/PB120145.JPG
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    My question to those that have quilts is how much room they take up in a pack. I live where rain is predominate over the winter and am fearful of using down which compresses better than synthetic. I have made one synthetic quilt and I have a largish pack ( G4 home made ) and couldn't compress the quilt enuff to fit everything in without jumping in the pack with my feet to squeeze everything. It will work well for car camping but not for hiking.
    Synthetic takes up a lot of room. I carried the camo one (Potomac) on a week-long trip this summer, and far and away it was the bulkiest thing in the pack. I carried it rather than the down one
    a) for reasons related to stealth
    b) for similar concerns about rain
    c) because I really don't like the JRB green (sorry Jacks. But hammocking is all about personal preference, and I personally prefer other colors. But it is black on what I take to be the "inside". If the black side is as water resistant as the green side, then I'm happy to flip it to black side out.)

Were I to do it again (rather, when I do it again) I'd go with the down one, covered by a lightweight stealthy weather shield. The quilt is already in DWR ripstop, but a cover will add more protection from side-blown rain, and for everyone's eyes

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 10-15-2007 at 07:07. Reason: flip the JRB colors (?)

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    the draw cord is a separate adjustment for closing the ends to make it warmer or loosing them to vent.
    I had not thought about that at all and did not realise that you guys did it.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    on the head hole, do you plan to add omni tape to close it?
    i'm thinking you will want to find a way add enough length to one of the omni tapes to allow them to over lap with out pulling the quilt out of it's normal flat shape.

i have been planning to add a head hole to one of my summer weight speer quilts too, but i plan on adding a collar instead of the simple slit.
    The slit was just a last minute duel use thought and I have not planed it yet but I have never seen any omni tape over here.
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Synthetic takes up a lot of room. I carried the camo one (Potomac) on a week-long trip this summer, and far and away it was the bulkiest thing in the pack. I carried it rather than the down one
    a) for reasons related to stealth
    b) for similar concerns about rain
    c) because I really don't like the JRB green (sorry Jacks. But hammocking is all about personal preference, and I personally prefer other colors. But it is black on what I take to be the "inside". If the black side is as water resistant as the green side, then I'm happy to flip it to black side out.)

Were I to do it again (rather, when I do it again) I'd go with the down one, covered by a lightweight stealthy weather shield. The quilt is already in DWR ripstop, but a cover will add more protection from side-blown rain, and for everyone's eyes

Grizz
    Grizz,

The black is the same DWR material so you can reverse it, as long as you are not using a HH Asym model (this would place the side loops in the wrong locations).

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    c) because I really don't like the JRB green (sorry Jacks. But hammocking is all about personal preference, and I personally prefer other colors.Grizz

I feel ya on that one! Such a great quilt, but a color I find less than desirable. Good thing nobody will be able to see it when it's inside the hammock keeping me warm.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Thanks grizz.... I am still looking for a "inexpensive" sleeping bag with compressable synthetic to modify as an underquilt. Patience is a virtue I hear, so will wait until the to good to be true deal comes along. Till then what I have is working to keep me warm so far.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast