Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Underquilt/Insulated Hammock

Howdy y'all,

I currently own one hammock , a HH Exped. and am in need of staying warm. I also might be able to make a spear hammock if I find enough material, kinda doubt that though.

I have tested pads and am not a fan. I hear underquilts are much more comfortable and warmer so that sounds like a good idea. That is, except when I saw how spendy they were

I was reading another thread on this forum when I heard a member suggest buying ripstop nylon and some quilt batting from Walmart to make your own cheap underquilt. This sounds very interesting, but I do have a few questions:

Would I put the quilt batting directly under my person or in an undercover? If I need an undercover well, then I would have to learn how to make one for my HH Exped.

I also heard of another alternative of simply buying a down sleeping bag and somehow turning that into your under quilt.

If someone could point me in the right direction as to how to create an undercover for my HH (if I need too for quilt batting) or point out how to create an underquilt from a down sleeping bag I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    someone in need of warmth and comfort

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    here's a drawing that shows the method i used to make my 1st two synthetic insulated hammocks.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9110013.JPG
    i plan to make another soon. i may just make one from the $1.00 material & quilt batting from walmart just to see how well it does this winter.

here are the steps...
    1)... hem both ends of the hammock & both ends of the shell material.
    2)... pin & sew a chosen length of insulation & light weight shell material to both sides of the hammock & sew them together. then cut away excess insulation, fold & hem.
    NOTE... leave 6-8" of the shell unattached from the hammock sides for now.
    the insulation length will vary from person to person. some may only want 3/4 length, others may want it to reach from head to just below the feet.
    the shell IMO should be the same length as the hammock.
    i leave both lengths of insulation & shell at their full width for now.
    3)... gather & whip the hammock ends, leaving the ends of the shell material out of the whipping (hanging loose).
    now you have shell & insulation hanging down on both sides.
    4)... weight the hammock. start w/ a ccf pad & add what ever soft but weighty items you can find. i used pillows, blankets, a foot stool, etc to spread & weight the hammock.
    5)... pull the shell (w/ insulation underneath) from both sides, toward the center & pin, being sure to leave both a little loose. the hammock WILL stretch more with use.
    the loosness can be adjusted later, but if you don't allow enough room for stretch, the occupied hammock will end up pressing the insulation flat.
    6)... after pinning & possibly marking w/ a grease marker, lay in the hammock or better yet have someone else lay in it, & recheck the tightness of the shell & insulation.
    7)... take the hammock down, & sew the shell where it meets in the middle. fold & hem the center.
    also, remove the whipping & sew the shell the rest of the way down the sides.
    8)... re-whip the hammock.
    9)... the shell can be pulled snug by attachments added to the sides near the top. more on that later.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    If you want to make a cheap one to try out you can make one for about $10. I made an rectangular underquilt with five yards of $1 bin nylon and Walmart quilt batting ($9 a bag, used half). The batting is sewn between two layers of nylon and quilted with yarn loops. It was warm down to about 42, I haven't gone colder than that. Weight is 2lbs 3oz. I have a HH expedition also, I tie it up with shock cord and just push it to the side to get in.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    If you want to make a cheap one to try out you can make one for about $10. I made an rectangular underquilt with five yards of $1 bin nylon and Walmart quilt batting ($9 a bag, used half). The batting is sewn between two layers of nylon and quilted with yarn loops. It was warm down to about 42, I haven't gone colder than that. Weight is 2lbs 3oz. I have a HH expedition also, I tie it up with shock cord and just push it to the side to get in.
    yep, making an under quilt would probably be simpler than (and more versatile) an insulated hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    There's always the Potomac/KAQ option. I've made one and am in the process of making another now. The current one is being made out of an $11 synthetic sleeping bag. I cannibalized the shell, liner, and insulation from the bag. It measures a little short of the KAQ directions, but I think it will work well enough.

Frick!

Can't find any nylon at the Walmarts in my area. Darn greedy kite flyers stole it... stole it I say!

Is there any way to make an under quilt without the use of fabric? A couple sleeping bags or something?

Super frick! This kinda sucks

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Check out your local fabric stores (might want to call around first). You might be pleasantly surprised. You're looking for ripstop nylon, right?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If the local fabric stores are anything like mine, expect to pay $7.99 + a yard for ripstop. Order some '2nds' from thur-hiker; its like $4.95 a yard.

To answer your question about sleeping bags, yes. I'm making one now, but it will be short with a standard bag. Comes out to be about 79" of length with the sleeping bag option.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I would have just converted an old rectangular bag to an underquilt if I had one, I think that would have been the easiest option. I just wanted something affordable to use in mild weather since using a pad was too frustrating and experience for me.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    A little help here. Does anyone make one of the KAS Underquilt. I dont have the skill to sew to save my life but I would like to get one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast