Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Boy Scout Camping Brevard NC

I spent the weekend doing the Boy Scout thing at the Kuykendall Group Camp, near Brevard NC in the Pisgah National Forest.
    To get there, you turn off of Highway 64 just south of Brevard on the Cathey's Creek road. Go until the blacktop runs out and go about 3 miles farther. There is a locked gate and sign on the right. If you have a reservation, you get the combo to the lock.
    Go thru the gate, lock it behind you and drive a mile deep into the forest, crossing one creek. The road ends at the campsite, about the size of a football field. Facilities include huge picnic tables, fire ring, lantern stands, pump for water and the nicest permanent outhouse I've ever seen.

As we pulled into the site, it started to rain. I grabbed my MacCat Ultra and stretched it and staked it between two trees real quick and then started helping to set up the shelter.
    The scoutmaster saw my tarp up and asked "Did you come up early today to set up?"
    I said, "No, I did that while you were parking the car." He was really surprised that I had the fly up and he hadn't even noticed.
    It only rained about 5 minutes, but it was reassuring to know that if it did continue, I would be able to set up in the dry.

I can't believe I only got one picture of my hammock. It's right there in the center.

Butterflies were everywhere.

We went to Sliding Rock on Saturday. For those not familiar, Sliding Rock is a naturally occurring 60-foot waterslide with an eight-foot deep pool at the bottom. The water temp is 57 degrees year-round I'm told.

Some of our boys-

This is me-

For supper, we had Shrimp Jambolaya with Cajun Sausage and dirty rice.
    A couple of scouts and I did the shucking, sauteing, and cooking.

Dutch Oven Desserts were Turtle Cake (Devil's Food Cake, covered with pecans and caramel) and Blueberry Cobbler.

Saturday night, we were blessed with a clear sky. It gets really dark in the middle of the forest. The stars looked like diamonds on black velvet.
    The high temp was 73. The low at night was 60. Man! That was good sleeping weather.

It was a great weekend in a wonderful part of the world.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looks like a great time! Beautiful area w/ lots to do.
    In addition to backpacking a few areas not to far from there, I once car camped in the Davidson River Campground.
    I like the looks of the private camp spot y'all used much better.
    I've watched people go down Sliding Rock a few times, but I've not yet felt lured into that cold water
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey Slowhike,
    Davidson River is a beautiful campground.
    Before I got a boat, that was where we went for family camping. I really enjoy the area around Brevard.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Have you been to the "Cradle of Forestry"? I've wanted to check it out but not got there yet.
    Is it geared for adults as well a kids?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    You know, its really funny, we share the occassional PMs, discuss possibly meeting up on different hikes, and I keep looking to see if I can find a picture of you just so that I have some sense of who to look for when and if our paths cross near Burrel's Ford. So far no luck. . .

Now you post this Trip Report, btw Jambalya is one of my FAVs !...., and I'm thinking "....surely there's a pictures or two in this report." And sure enough . . . just enough to see the top of your head and possibly your hands . . . I don't know if you recall, but I want to now name you "Wilson". Not the volleyball character in the movie CastAway, but the character from the Home Improvement television series. Just when you think you might see him . . .

Looks like you had great weather and I am hoping for those same conditions when we finally meet at the Lake Jocassee Hang. Until then. . . .

"Thanks Wilson."
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That was terrific .... and now I must go eat some shrim'........
    Shugh
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Brings back so many memories. Some of the best times of my childhood were in the scouts!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    You know, its really funny, we share the occassional PMs, discuss possibly meeting up on different hikes, and I keep looking to see if I can find a picture of you just so that I have some sense of who to look for when and if our paths cross near Burrel's Ford. So far no luck. . .

Now you post this Trip Report, btw Jambalya is one of my FAVs !...., and I'm thinking "....surely there's a pictures or two in this report." And sure enough . . . just enough to see the top of your head and possibly your hands . . . I don't know if you recall, but I want to now name you "Wilson". Not the volleyball character in the movie CastAway, but the character from the Home Improvement television series. Just when you think you might see him . . .

Looks like you had great weather and I am hoping for those same conditions when we finally meet at the Lake Jocassee Hang. Until then. . . .

"Thanks Wilson."

Muskrat,
    You have to realize, I'm usually taking the pics, but, here I am.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    Muskrat,
    You have to realize, I'm usually taking the pics, but, here I am.
    NO ! ! ! !

LOL ! Now the mystery is over . . .

Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks. This morning's temps were awesome, hope this is a continuing trend !
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Swampfox, what a way to start my day, good first cup of coffee, and sharing "good times" with some scouts! Thanks for the report and wonderful pics. I'm putting Brevard on my "bucket list".

Crazy Hammock Lady

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast