WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tired of painful nights!

While I've ordered a hammock, I can't quite say I'm a hanger yet.

Last year I discovered ultra-light backpacking, and found a pack that weighed 25 lbs a refreshing change from the 50 lb packs I used to carry. That's given me an incredible joy, as I thought I had no chance of ever seeing the high country again. (I am a cancer survivor and heart disease combatant.)

But the nights in even an ultra-light tent was still uncomfortable to painful.

The last hike I took this summer saw me abandoning the hike because the night was so painful.

I wanted to get away from the heavily used campsites, but found myself on steep slopes with only the tiniest of "flat" surfaces just uphill of large trees. It was obviously hammock country, but I had no hammock. I was testing a super-ultra-lite tent, and it was just not right for me, in any sense! I have not spent a worse night on the trail nor in the mountains in over 50 years!

Remembering a long ago night camping in the Sierras with a friend's family, and spending the night in a canvas hammock, I thought I should check out what's happening with hammocks - especially since rumors of light-weight hammocks had wafted past my ears.

Yesterday I ordered a WBBB (cool! I know the abbreviation already!!!), their underquilt, and an MLD hammock tarp of cuben (I knew MLD from the UL backpacking). I also ordered a set of whoopie slings and webs. I'm pushing 60 years, but I figure if the hammock gives me a comfortable nights sleep, I've got another 5-10 years of hiking left......at least!

I understand I will have to wait awhile for the WBBB and tarp, but school has started again, and I have classes to teach. I may have a weekend or two before next spring, but by then the hammock should be here, and I'm hoping for comfortable nights in the mountains come spring!

Cheers!

"Grampa" Steve

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Thumbs up New Hanger

Welcome to the club my friend! I too found sleeping on the ground difficult after a few nights. Not so much due to pain but poor quality sleep. Waking up tired and a little achy doesn't allow me to enjoy the outdoor experience as I should. I switched to the hammock earlier this year and will never go back again. I have never slept so well outdoors. You will be very happy with your purchase as well. The blackbird is top notch and super comfortable, I have two of em. Don't forget to give us an update once you get back out there...Bush

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 0° UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB Webbing/Dutch!
    Welcome. Once you find the sweet spot in the BB, you'll be sleeping like a baby. You did good to order an under quilt as even the mildest weather will feel cool under your hammock. It might take a couple times to find that sweet spot, so be patient.
    Proving to the world that I can hang.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the the HF community. When your hammock arrives and you finally get a chance to sleep in it. You will be simiply amazed at the level of comfort. Be sure to post a report after your first hang.
    Terry

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums!! Like everyone else has said, you will not believe how great you'll feel after a night in your BB. I was so used to tossing all night and waking up with back pain, that the difference, after sleeping in a hammock, was remarkable. Let us know how things go for you.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Welcome aboard!! In addition to sleeping better, for us "Old guys" who need to get up a few times a night, getting up from a hammock is WAY better then getting up from the ground. Plus, I like to have a place to sit: just to sit, while eating, & most importantly, while putting my shoes & socks on.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images
    Steve:
    I would never sleep on that hard ground again! But one warning ... after that first night in my hammock, I oversleep by two hours! I now have to carry an alarm clock. Welcome to the best sleep forum on the Internet!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Welcome and you will not regret getting a BB
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts