WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Cool, thanks. I check out the maps I have.

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Put me down as a maybe. I have a conflicting (yet much more expensive) event scheduled that weekend that I may back out of.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'm gonna guess that the Pine Barrens are a little less than 3 mi out of Seaton Creek.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stonehooligan View Post
    Corona, it is litteraly on the south side of Eddington Creek maybe a 1/4 mile past it. Its about 2- 2.5 miles from Seaton Creek Campground. I will have to get a map out when I get home and check the actual distances.
    How timely, I'm headed there this weekend. I spent the morning studying the map because I'm looking for a short hike for my kids. Do you have more specific directions to this potential hang area? I'd be willing to go in and check it out and even get some pics and coordinates from the GPS. I know where the NCT crosses Eddington creek. On my last overnight thru there I thought about camping near there but didn't do to the bugs and being in the thick of trees. It was hot so I wanted to get more out in the open. Of course in October I don't think bugs or it being hot are going to be a problem.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    How timely, I'm headed there this weekend. I spent the morning studying the map because I'm looking for a short hike for my kids. Do you have more specific directions to this potential hang area? I'd be willing to go in and check it out and even get some pics and coordinates from the GPS. I know where the NCT crosses Eddington creek. On my last overnight thru there I thought about camping near there but didn't do to the bugs and being in the thick of trees. It was hot so I wanted to get more out in the open. Of course in October I don't think bugs or it being hot are going to be a problem.
    I was headed there this weekend too, but alas I am not.
    The area that I am talking about is a huge stand of Pines, not very far from Edington Creek, in fact I think that the creek runs right along the north edge of the area. The NCT runs to the west and above (elevation wise) the Pine Barrens. There is another great site (smaller though) north of Eddington Creek, as you pass through the powerline cut head towards the Manistee River, and there is a hill on the south side of the PL cut. Nice and tucked away from the main trail with several good hanging spots there as well. I will try to find a picture or something and post it later.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I was headed there this weekend too, but alas I am not.
    The area that I am talking about is a huge stand of Pines, not very far from Edington Creek, in fact I think that the creek runs right along the north edge of the area. The NCT runs to the west and above (elevation wise) the Pine Barrens. There is another great site (smaller though) north of Eddington Creek, as you pass through the powerline cut head towards the Manistee River, and there is a hill on the south side of the PL cut. Nice and tucked away from the main trail with several good hanging spots there as well. I will try to find a picture or something and post it later.
    Any chance you could guess at the GPS coords? I've been studying google satelite maps but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I'd love to find a good spot to hang this weekend off the beaten path a bit.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Dont use a GPS, map and compas all the way for me. But I google mapped the area do these work....
    44.359582,-85.844647

The sandy looking part is part of the hillside headed down to Eddington Creek, you can see the PLL cut to the north, and pine barrens are where the tress are noticably different from the surounding forest. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...63,1.066,0.001

Here is a google earth shot of the area. Close in on the sandy area by the power line cut that angles off to the North West, the sopt beteween the two sandy area is the hill top site, and you can make out Eddington Creek Valley. The is a bridge crossing 1/2 to the west in the valley. At the southern edge of the valley you can make out the, what I have been calling the Pine Barrens, which maybe the Plantation.
    Last edited by Stone; 09-03-2010 at 12:28. Reason: More info

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...63,1.066,0.001

Here is a google earth shot of the area. Close in on the sandy area by the power line cut that angles off to the North West, the sopt beteween the two sandy area is the hill top site, and you can make out Eddington Creek Valley. The is a bridge crossing 1/2 to the west in the valley. At the southern edge of the valley you can make out the, what I have been calling the Pine Barrens, which maybe the Plantation.
    That is great! I should be able to find that. Is the best way in to follow the powerlines to the closest spot and then bush whack in?

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If you come in from the north, cut up the sandy portion in the PL cut (towards the river), as it starts to level out you will see the hill rise up to the south a bit, maybe 50 yds. Head to the right and your there. The Pine Plantation, is visible from the trail after you cross the bridge and walk towards the Manistee River down the Eddington Creek valley

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast