Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    We found it. It would be a great spot for a group hang1 The only drawback is its a long ways down to Eddingtont creek to get water. We did not venture out to the pine barrens.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good, I was wondering if my directions would lead you there or astray.
    Hope you had a good weekend of hiking!
    Last edited by Stone; 09-07-2010 at 11:12. Reason: Cant spell

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I have a GPS track, exact coordinates, and pictures. I'll post those later.

It was not good weather for hiking. The weather forecast Sat morning was for thunderstorms and winds to 24mph. We decided to postpone until Sunday. The forecast was slightly better then. I was periodically checking the radar and we got really lucky as we seemed to be in a narrow band with showers passing on either side of us. We got a couple hours of light rain in the early hours of the morning Sunday. When we packed up everything was wet but we managed to make it out to the car before the rain really started up. The temp hit the high 40's overnight which was borderline cold for my daughters. I wouldn't have worried so much about the weather had I not taken them. They are 4, 6, and 8. It was the first back country overnight for the 4 and 6 yr old. They all loved it. I loved it to despite it being a lot more work than I had anticipated. I have not had to deal with a tent in a very long time and I didn't like it. The 7lb tent, 7lb backpack and 3 thermarests (for them) was more than my normal base weight. I needed the big pack to carry the extra gear and food for the kids. They wanted to hammock but I don't have sleeping bags warm enough for them to do that. They carried their own sleeping bag, pillow, clothes, camp stool and a water bottle. Well the older 2 did. The 4 yr old carried her pack with less in it about a .25 mile in and then a .25 mile on the way out before deciding that it was to heavy for her. I should have saved the money and weight of her pack by just putting all her stuff in my pack.

The spot was super easy to find and its a great spot to hang. Even a couple nice flat spots to set up tents if people were so inclined. My kids were in a tent. If people are interested in hanging close enough together to have conversations while lying in your hammock I bet you could string up 10 hammocks there. The only drawback is its a bit of a climb down and back up to get water. I think it was easier to just go back to the trail and follow it to the bridge. We did it both ways.

I have the OK from the wife to go that weekend.

Edit
    I just went through and tabulated those interested-

Yes
    DblCorona
    Jeepcachr
    Bushmedic
    WetCatCarl
    Stonehooligan
    WildCrafter

Maybe
    Gargoyle
    Breck

What do you guys say on the spot described by Stonehooligan that I visited? It was 1.5 miles from the Marilla trail head, looks to be 2-2.5 miles from the Seaton Creek trail head and a good spot in the middle of the loop to stop if you come in from the Red Bridge trail head, 10 miles.
    Last edited by jeepcachr; 09-07-2010 at 12:30. Reason: added additional information

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Nice. I was just about to do the tally and check on what we want to do. Thanks jeepcachr.

So we could do the MRT part of the loop and shuttle from one end to the other. We could meet at a campground Friday night, then hit the trail for about 6-7 miles and hang Saturday night, then hike out Sunday morning.

or do the area that jeepcachr checked out. Both would be fine.

It's about a 4hr drive for me and I might not get out till about 4pm so....

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    Edit
    I just went through and tabulated those interested-

Yes
    DblCorona
    Jeepcachr
    Bushmedic
    WetCatCarl
    Stonehooligan
    WildCrafter

Maybe
    Gargoyle
    Breck
    There maybe a +1 for Stonehooligan, the GF may want to try all of this crazy backpacking-hammocking thing I do....

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    I've been talking with Dblcorona and he was agreeable with this. He proposed the hang so I didn't want it to look like I was trying to take over or anything. I'm just trying to help out since I am very familiar with the area.

I'd like to propose we hang Saturday night at the Eddington Creek overlook (the spot I scouted this past weekend). For those coming up Friday night they could stay at Seaton Creek campground. On Saturday people can either hike from there to the overlook 2.5 mile hike or drive over to the Marilla Trailhead 1.5 mile hike or drive down to red bridge if they want to hike the whole loop 10 mile hike in.

Lots of other options if people want to spot cars but what I'm proposing is a spot for the Saturday night hang with an option for car camping together Friday night and then people can work out the rest of the details from there.

I've been up there 5 times this summer and have personally been to those locations. If this is agreeable to the majority I will provide GPS coordinates and detailed directions to each location.

What do you think? If you've already replied to this thread saying you were coming can you confirm that you like or dislike this plan?

I'm looking forward to meeting and hanging with all of you,
    Tim

Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Hi all

I just sat at the campfire with Jeepcachr tonight . I am a newbie hammocker if that is a word and would like to experiment with some borrowed gear from Jeepcachr so add me to the list. If I change my mind can I bring a tent?

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition, Scout, DIY
    Tarp
    asym
    I tried getting it off work but it doesn't look like its gonna happen. The only other driver asked for it off so now im stuck working it. I guess ill just have to catch the next one? Maybe one for deer season in november?

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    sounds good to me jeep i will be up there scouting out the trail next weekend hope to find the spot before the hang so i dont miss

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    To Marilla Trailhead: From Brethren, drive east on Coates Highway about 7 miles. Turn left (north) on Marilla Road and continue another 7 miles. Turn right (east) onto Beers Road and proceed about 1.5 miles. Trailhead is on the right side of the road.

To Seaton Creek Campground:From Mesick, MI, take State Rt. 37 south 6 miles to 26-Road. Turn right onto 26-Road and go 2.9 miles to signed campground access road (Forest Rt. 5993). Follow it for 0.4 miles to campground.

Directions to hang location: From the NCT trail junction with the Marilla Trail head spur go .5 miles south. You will come out onto a wide cleared power line. If you get to the bridge that crosses Eddington creek you've gone to far, if your coming from the south the power line isn't very far past the bridge. From Red Bridge its about 7 miles to the Eddington creek bridge. In the attached picture you can see a telephone pole on top of the hill. Follow the power line path thru the gully and up the hill to the pole. 20 yards in front of you, in the woods, you will see a stone fire ring. This is where we will meet.

Here's an ok map of the area- http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5172184.pdf

The NCT Assoc. has a highly detailed map of the loop http://www.northcountrytrail.org/sho...&product_id=97. If your near Grand Rapids Apex Outdoor gear (http://www.apexoutdoorgear.com/) usually has a few of these in stock and you can save on the shipping or you can drive to the NCT office in Lowell and purchase one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast