Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images

Hennessy Expition tarp and a Newb

Hello everyone here at hammock forums, I'm very new to hammocking as I do not own one yet. I have only borrowed a friends eno and war bonnet before. I would love to own a black bird but will not have the funds in time for my next trip and will eventually need two hammock set ups for my girlfriend and myself.

With that being said I'm planning on get the Hennessy Expedition but do not know what to do about the tarp. Should I stick with the stock poly tarp? For only $10 I can upgrade to the stock size silnylon tarp and for $20 I can upgrade to the poly hex tarp. The silnylon hex is a $90 upgrade and I know I wont have that in time.

So I guess the question is it worth the extra weight to get the poly hex over the silnylon stock size? Will the stock tarp provide enough coverage to be comfortable? Also I could never actually find the weight of the stock tarps, poly or silnylon so I don't know.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer, GT UL
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    I just bought an Explorer and took it out last weekend. It rained pretty hard, and I stayed mostly dry with the stock rainfly...the hammock was a little wet near the foot, though I did not feel it, and it dried quickly.

The impression that I got was that with the stock fly you had to stay pretty aware of the direction of the wind/rain since it hangs a little shorter on alternating sides (it is a rectangle hung corner to corner).

I am looking forward to "upgrading" to a larger size to give me a little better coverage, but for a starter it is definitely livable. Not to mention that I have kids that I am planning on making scaled-down hammocks for, and that fly should give them plenty of coverage, so there is no waste of equipment when I do make another purchase!

It looks like they have the dimensions and weight on the comparison page for the different models:

http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Upgrade to the poly hex tarp. The stock tarp is fine for light showers, but not in wind driven rain. I was on a trip last week and had to hang in an exposed area. It was very windy and rained a bit that night. Even with the stock tarp pulled down as low as possible I still felt "spray" coming in the side. I had my larger tarp with me, but it was rigged as a windbreak at the cooking area.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypyro View Post
    I just bought an Explorer and took it out last weekend. It rained pretty hard, and I stayed mostly dry with the stock rainfly...the hammock was a little wet near the foot, though I did not feel it, and it dried quickly.

The impression that I got was that with the stock fly you had to stay pretty aware of the direction of the wind/rain since it hangs a little shorter on alternating sides (it is a rectangle hung corner to corner).

I am looking forward to "upgrading" to a larger size to give me a little better coverage, but for a starter it is definitely livable. Not to mention that I have kids that I am planning on making scaled-down hammocks for, and that fly should give them plenty of coverage, so there is no waste of equipment when I do make another purchase!

It looks like they have the dimensions and weight on the comparison page for the different models:

http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html
    Just curious: was the tarp tied to the trees or to the hammock prussics?

Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    Upgrade to the poly hex tarp. The stock tarp is fine for light showers, but not in wind driven rain. I was on a trip last week and had to hang in an exposed area. It was very windy and rained a bit that night. Even with the stock tarp pulled down as low as possible I still felt "spray" coming in the side. I had my larger tarp with me, but it was rigged as a windbreak at the cooking area.
    Same question, trees or hammock suspension prussicks?

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had it tied to the trees. It was close the the Expeditions ridgeline, maybe 6" off it, but the wind was coming in at an angle toward the foot end. It was WINDY and a bit cold. Fortunately it didn't rain too much, and I was only an hours paddle from the car and planning to head out early the next morning. Otherwise the 12x9 would have been over me.

Blair
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Thumbs up Hex Upgrade

I got both tarps with my explorer dlx and just use the bigger hex. The stock tarp does an adequate job but the hex offers many more options and I have sat out many a downpour under the hex set up porch style with my trekking poles. No hiding in the hammock waiting for it to pass, actually enjoyed the experience. I put the stock tarp in my daypack for an emergency shelter. Just my .02...Bush

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    I had it tied to the trees. It was close the the Expeditions ridgeline, maybe 6" off it, but the wind was coming in at an angle toward the foot end. It was WINDY and a bit cold. Fortunately it didn't rain too much, and I was only an hours paddle from the car and planning to head out early the next morning. Otherwise the 12x9 would have been over me.

Blair
    Thanks for the info. Maybe it is just me, but I have always felt that, with any amount of hammock sag once I get in, that the small tarp leaves me really exposed on the ends. I never had any confidence in that keeping me dry. Coverage is much improved when I attach to the hammock in the normal HH way. Naturally, you then have to deal with a loose tarp, but it can be done, or at least much improved. Of course, it is hard to beat a larger tarp tied to the trees. More real estate is covered, more room to hang out under, and the tarp stays tight.

But an advantage to the stock tarp is lighter weight and only 2 stakes. The coverage is adequate when I connect to the hammock, and great if I am using my Super Shelter.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thank you all for droppin some knewledge on me. I've decided I should probably go with the poly hex fly. I think it'll be worth the 25oz. Especially for a newb on a chilly october night for my next trip. The first time I borrowed a hammock last spring I used a big 10' x 12' cjeapo blue tarp in a lightnight storm with wind blown rain. It did its job perfect, minus the bulk it took up in my pack. If the same conditions were to occur again I'm not so sure the stock hennessy tarp would provide the coverage I need. Ill upload pictures when the time comes. Thank you all again.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    If you can muster up the extra cash, go for the Explorer Deluxe. It's $60.00 more. Order it from HH website and you can substitute the Hex Fly (at no cost)for the stock tarp. You'll appreciate the extra room of the Explorer.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks silverlion, I will deffiently take that into consideration. I've also been toying around with the idea of getting the cheaper $20 grand trunk ultra light and buying one of those amazing looking maccat. With that I assumed I'd have to find a better suspension though and don't know where to start as well with making a bug net which I have the materials but am inexperienced in the gear making category too.

Most likely ill stick with the all in one HH. I'm still confused if the weights listed on the HH hammocks include the rainfly. Even then I know the Poly hex fly is 25oz but don't know what I would add that too to get an accurate weight.

• + New Posts