Sheltowee & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

One season of hangin' almost complete!

Hello,

I figured it was time I introduce myself...I was a devout groundsleeper for many years here in New England, "enjoying" clammy nights in my single wall tents, roots poking me in the back, chipmunks running around under my tent and so on.

The I happened on the Practical Backpacking podcast last year and heard the podcast on hanging. I had never even considered there was different way to camp out...it was a revelation! Then Shug came along thanks to the combined forces of Google and YouTube and answered almost all the questions I had. In anticipation of this season I hung in the basement, I hung off the deck supports, I hung in the backyard. Just about this time my wife starting wondering out loud about my sanity. But I kept right on.

Now I can't stop trying to get people to consider trying the hammock out. Many of my conversations start with "You doing any camping this summer?" and within 45 seconds I'm explaning suspension.

So far this season I've had the opportunity to hang with my 10 year old at Pawtuckaway State Park, a solo at Sawyer Pond and a solo at Pillbury State Park. A couple more to go this year before the cold really sets in...I'm planning an overnight on the Kilkenny Range in the Whites and an overnight at Ethan Pond. And I'm planning a 50 mile PCT section for next year.

So that's it - thanks to everyone who have answered some of my stupid questions and thanks to Shug for making all this so accessible!

John (no trail name yet...maybe after the PCT?)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF John. Glad to hear that you are so pumped up on hammock hanging. You are not alone there are thousands of us and our numbers are swelling all the time.
    Terry

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Now that you're over the groundling thing, I think it's about time to start going camping in the cooler weather too. Many on this forum don't even start their season until the temps start to drop. I would MUCH rather camp in the cold than the heat. Just a suggestion.
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    Sheltowee & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

You got my number :-O

Kukri,

You must know the saying that goes something like "It is the things that we fear most that we most need to do." I'm originally from Florida (yes, actually born in the state) and it's not that I dislike the cold, I actually kinda like the cold once I got the right thermals and such. It's that I'm scared of the cold. I guess I kinda understand my setup for 45 to 85 degrees, but lower than that and I have no idea just how much and how thick my stuff needs to be. I kinda sleep on the cold side to begin with and my old Big Agnes bag that was rated to 15 never kept me comfortable even at 40.

So, yes, I'd really enjoy extending my season beyond mid-October, but I guess I need to sheperd away some money on a really organized winter sleep system. Any suggestions?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    Now that you're over the groundling thing, I think it's about time to start going camping in the cooler weather too. Many on this forum don't even start their season until the temps start to drop. I would MUCH rather camp in the cold than the heat. Just a suggestion.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Welcome to HF - glad to have ya here!

Quote Originally Posted by jlara View Post
    Then Shug came along thanks to the combined forces of Google and YouTube and answered almost all the questions I had.
    I think Shug is responsible for converting thousands from ground dwellers to hammock hangers
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by jlara View Post
    Kukri,

So, yes, I'd really enjoy extending my season beyond mid-October, but I guess I need to sheperd away some money on a really organized winter sleep system. Any suggestions?

John
    First off, welcome to HF from a fellow MASShole!

For colder weather setups take a gander through the Underquilt (UQ) and Topquilt (TQ) sections of the forums. LOTS of info on there for everything from hot summer temps to below 0 temps and how to keep warm.

• + New Posts